Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Youngest person to climb Everest, atempt the Seven Summits  (Read 1963 times)

Sunlover

Thirteen year old Jordan Romero from America is atempting to become not only the youngest person to summit Everest but also the youngest to climb the Seven Summits (the higest peak on each continents) though the climb will actually include 8 mountains as the Seven Summits change depending on where you lay the boundaries, so just to be safe Jordan will climb all 8.
He started his bid back in July 2006 when age 10 he climbed Mount Kilimanjaro, Everest is number 7 on the list. Asuming he makes the summit the final mountain on the list is Antarctica,s Vinson Massif.
As of his latest update the team is at the Advanced Base Camp around 6,500m aiming for a summit push on or about the 22nd.

Alongside climbing these giant mountains over the last 18 months he has also summited the highest peak in every state in the US

On the whole I get the impression from his blog enteries of a young man who fully understands what he is doing and has been preparing himself for the this both physically and mentally rather than some rich brat out for kicks. I was impressed to read a entry by his father (his father and step-mum are both mountaneers and both with him) from the 5th of May thay got a supprise visit from Lapka Gelu Sherpa who hold the world record for Everest summits (he,s climbed Everest 14 times! and was on his way back up again!) he,d heard of this youngster on his way up and decided to pop over and say hello. For two hours he talked to Jodran about his experiences on Everest as Jordan sat and listened to every word he said without interuption. So rather than babbling on about what he had done he is mature enough to know when a man with THAT much experience decides to give you a few tips you listen and listen well.
Even the teams own Sherpa guides who have 9 Everest climbs between the three of them were awestruck!

The weather right now according to the update is minus 24 with 110kph winds!!

(Thought Id post this as it ties in with Jessica Watsons Solo Sailing adventure in that it involves youngsters going out and acheving their dreams even when they are major challengesd!)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 03:27:50 pm by Sunlover »

Nude_not_rude

Re: Youngest person to climb Everest, atempt the Seven Summits
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 11:26:21 am »
Great find! Thanks for the heads-up. Now that is impressive too. Looks like he may have been groomed for it as his parents are climbers too, but full kudos for him.

So how many of the eight has he climbed so far? What is his website/ blog? Would be keen to check it out.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 11:29:26 am by Toddo »

Stuart

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 07:57:42 pm »
Did they get naked on the summit?

Offline Danee

• Read-Only
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 135
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 09:33:49 pm »

THATS a Stuart question if there ever was one!!!  Massive fail, right, Stuart if they didn't?  By the way, how is it warming up over there?  Are you getting ready for your skydive?
Top-free Equality. Its a right, not a privilege!
http://www.freethenipple.com/

Stuart

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 10:11:48 pm »

THATS a Stuart question if there ever was one!!!  Massive fail, right, Stuart if they didn't? 

Given that Everest is about 25,000ft higher than I ever get, I think I'll let them off.

By the way, how is it warming up over there?  Are you getting ready for your skydive?

Looks like a good day tomorrow & Saturday, so hopefully I'll bag something.

As for the skydive, I need a place that'll let me do it naked!

Nude_not_rude

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 10:15:28 am »
Hey it was on the news tonight. He successfully got to the top of Everest. Thanks for the link to is site too.

rc

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 01:18:55 am »
wow that kid has got quite the story to share