Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Annies Mailbox: Teen boys want to prance around in the nude  (Read 7067 times)

Offline Danee

• Read-Only
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 135
I saw this story today, on Annies Mailbox and at first, my thoughts were to it being from some troll like questioner, but really, speaking from personal experience, I am not sure it is. 
When my brother was younger, this type of thing happened on and off in the summer at our pool with 1, 2, or up to 4 friends to a varying degree.  Lack of shyness and water, even jumping in and out seemed to be the key and simply, most thought nothing of it.  This was usually after they were surfing and came home with Chris.  It had nothing to do with Naturism, and it was just guys being..well, guys.  It did not carry on inside the house in the public areas but it certainly wasn't weird or something I chalked up to anything more then male bonding without reservation, and who-cares attitude about who might be home, either. Again, it was the pool and deck, but not as some us do with our own sex, sunning or laying out. 
Interesting creatures this race we call human, huh?

Anyway the article:

Teen boys want to prance around in the nude
By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar

05/18/2010

Dear Annie — My husband and I are in our mid-60s. For the past five years, we have been the guardians of my daughter's 13-year-old son, "Jake." When I married 12 years ago, I certainly didn't expect to be raising a teenager at my age.

I know that raising kids today is nothing like it was 30 years ago, but Jake seems well adjusted. Here's the problem:

Jake recently asked if he and his friends could sleep in the nude when they stay over. He has been teased about living with "the old folks" and claims we are the only ones who don't allow it. I checked with the other parents, and they confirm this. In fact, at "Jay's" house, the boys remain unclothed all day. Jay's mother says they are often naked while playing video games, watching TV or snacking in the kitchen. They frequently appear in the nude at breakfast if they are going skinny-dipping in the pool after.

Annie, I'm not opposed to nudity. I have no problem with Jake sleeping naked in his room or skinny-dipping. But the idea of six teenage boys running around the house naked all day bothers me.

Hubby assures me that it's a "guy thing" and all teenage boys do it. He says it builds character and is a male bonding experience. Indeed, he encourages it.

Have you ever heard of this before? Is it common? How do other parents handle this?

The Answer:

In certain times and places (swimming pools, overnight camp), group nudity among young men is not unusual. Being naked all day, however, is much less common, and we would not encourage it. Don't be badgered into agreeing to something that makes you uncomfortable. You do not have to allow it, nor do you need to apologize. It's your house, and you get to set the rules.

From: http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/lifestyle/columnists.nsf/anniesmailbox/story/D3A8172CECD43313862577230061FA88?OpenDocument

Now, all three of the comments to the advice are extremely negative, but....from a Naturist viewpoint, here are some comments from a Naturist Newsgroup to the article:

There is yet hope for the younger generation.

nudiarist
Diary of a Nudist
http://www.nudiarist.blogspot.com

Well that's interesting.  So many people in recent years have commented
about youth becoming increasingly body-shy.  Such as refusing to take
showers after gym classes, and going into hiding to change clothes.

At the local public swimming pool most of the boys come and go wearing
what they wear to swim.  Those who do change mostly shut themselves into
a toilet stall while they are doing it.  Others wrap a towel around the
waist and accomplish the change while covered by the towel.  I wonder
if it's different when they are at home, with only friends and family
members present.

Top-free Equality. Its a right, not a privilege!
http://www.freethenipple.com/

Offline brandon

• N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Texas
  • Referrals: 5
Re: Annies Mailbox: Teen boys want to prance around in the nude
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 02:38:23 pm »
The headline about "prancing around" and the writer's concern about "six teenage boys running around the house naked all day" are amusing. I think the actual situation is teens who don't feel like getting dressed after waking up or swimming because they're comfortable that way and because getting dressed would take 60 seconds away from their gaming.

There's a world of difference between being naked with friends you trust and being naked in showers at a public pool or with a whole gym class that might include bullies or other people you don't feel comfortable with.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 02:48:08 pm by brandon »
We have it in our power to begin the world over again.  -Thomas Paine

Offline Danee

• Read-Only
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 04:07:35 pm »

There's a world of difference between being naked with friends you trust and being naked in showers at a public pool or with a whole gym class that might include bullies or other people you don't feel comfortable with.

Exactly.

Offline Cabding

• Lord-Master of Vita Nuda Southeast
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Livin' la Vita Nuda!
  • Referrals: 9
    • Vita Nuda Southeast
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 07:25:26 pm »
i read this on another site! if they are that comfortable with themselves that they feel they are okay with it, then go for it. doing something like that can only improve body image. the fact that he asked if he could shows that he is way ahead of the curve in feeling like it is an innocent act just to be naked.
Trying to unite the lost naked souls of the Southeast US. Message our Facebook page or PM me to get involved!

nakedfun

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 05:49:42 am »
wow . this is quite something .
if it is true .
i wish there would have been more info included
in the story . i wonder
how long this group of boys have been going
nude .
i wonder if girls have ever been a part of
their group . any boys have sisters ?
what did the other parents say / do
when these nude get togethers began .
how exactly did they begin .
are any of the boys from nudist families .
so many questions . . .

Offline NickUMA10

• The Nutty Professor
  • Nude with Towel
  • Freedom is a Mind and Body State
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 02:35:59 pm »
the father in this scenario comes off far more enlightened than the mother or 'expert' giving advice. my two cents.
"If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant trees; if in terms of 100 years, teach the people"-Confucius

Offline Danee

• Read-Only
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 04:16:12 pm »