Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Minorities in Naturism,  (Read 10117 times)

Offline Danee

• Read-Only
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 135
Minorities in Naturism,
« on: June 11, 2010, 01:35:37 am »

It is plainly obvious that visible minorities are under-represented in naturism. In this episode, we try to understand why and ascertain what can be done to change the situation.

http://www.bareoaks.ca/podcast/Minorities.mp3
Top-free Equality. Its a right, not a privilege!
http://www.freethenipple.com/

genxnaturist

Re: Minorities in Naturism,
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 02:12:04 am »
Bareoaks makes some great podcasts.  Its nice, that they talk about such things.  I dont exactly agree with 100 percent of everything said though.  I do wish there were more shows out there about such.

As far as minorities in Naturism, aside from women being a minority, it seems that there arent many african americans or asians into such.  Though it does seem that there are many latinos and people from south america who are more into such.  I think its in part because they have more healthy attitude about body.   When i was in Santa Cruz, friend from brazil it was refreshing to see how uninhibited towards her body he was.

Michael

i-naked

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 08:02:44 am »
Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm Andre from i-Naked/i-Nudist who took part in that podcast.

Offline joeyn

• Umm...
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Me
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 03:00:45 pm »
Where I live (South Central Texas) the majority of the population is Latino, however I rarely see any/many at naturist locales.

Joey

Stuart

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 03:13:10 pm »
I can remember seeing a couple who I think were of central Asian origin (India maybe) at a swim in Edinburgh, but that's it.

Similarly, I've never met anyone while hillwalking in the highlands who wasn't white. Plenty of Americans & Europeans, but always white. No idea why.

There are some parts of the highlands though where you count as an ethnic minority if you have a different surname...

Offline Fitz1980

• Shouting it out loud
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 03:21:15 pm »
When I lived in South Florida I'd see a fair amount of Spanish people at Haulover.  Of course there are lots of Spanish people in that area in the first place and many of them wear swimsuits are are almost naked at the regular pool.

Than there's my (now deceased) nude beach buddy Andrea.

Offline Luke M

• Nude with Towel
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 03:43:32 pm »
I have seen minorities just the one time I went to Haulover. And both times I went to Sunsport.

Offline brandon

• N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Texas
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 04:43:15 pm »
I've seen lots of male African American naturists, but rarely, if ever, an African American woman.

I've seen Latino and Latina naturists, but Spanish-speaking young males usually wear clothes (not swimsuits) and are often there to gawk.
We have it in our power to begin the world over again.  -Thomas Paine

Ace001

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 05:47:43 pm »
I am an African American male and I can honestly say that most of the time when I go places, I am the only black person I see, or one of the very few.

I think most of it has to do with religion/culture that most black people embrace. I hate tracing things back like this, but religion is so important to a lot of black families, something that had been instilled from slavery, segregation, etc. that most won't stray or question it. From that, nudity becomes this sexual thing which your entire family frowns upon. You're only supposed to be naked when you're washing, and with your love. That's it. Otherwise you're being inappropriate and someone has to set you straight. As far as younger kids go, most youths are in not so great areas that promote how cool/popular you are by the things you own, especially clothes. When I was growing up it was important to have the brand new jordans, all the matching clothes, all the name brands etc. Girls wouldn't talk to you if you didn't have the right gear, if you wore old stuff, or mismatched you got clowned on, and the better your clothes were the more people respected you. It's part of the hip hop culture. The emphasis is on things, not people. The focus is on getting money, and more especially what you can buy with that money. Having really nice clothes everyone knows about shows you have money and status just like that music artist. Then there's also gang related things where clothes are important signs of what gang you're affiliated with or who you're not with. I remember avoiding wearing reds and blues when I lived at home just to avoid problems and concentrated on blacks/whites/greys and random colors like green and purple. Of course this doesn't work for every black person in America, but it's definitely a reason why for some, especially if you look at the stats of religion/socioeconomic status.

Offline brandon

• N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Texas
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2010, 08:00:22 pm »
The African Americans I have seen probably do not consider themselves part of the stereotypical youth culture you describe. The African American males I see, with a few exceptions, are by themselves or with a white male or female partner, so they might identify more with white culture.

I haven't seen many middle aged or older or overweight African Americans. Most are in their 20s and look like they spend a lot of time at the gym. (In contrast, most white naturists are over 30, many over 60, and many are overweight, i.e. average Texans.)

Offline Danee

• Read-Only
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 135
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 09:51:28 pm »
Interesting and educational.....

-D
Top-free Equality. Its a right, not a privilege!
http://www.freethenipple.com/

Ace001

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 03:43:07 am »
The African Americans I have seen probably do not consider themselves part of the stereotypical youth culture you describe. The African American males I see, with a few exceptions, are by themselves or with a white male or female partner, so they might identify more with white culture.

I haven't seen many middle aged or older or overweight African Americans. Most are in their 20s and look like they spend a lot of time at the gym. (In contrast, most white naturists are over 30, many over 60, and many are overweight, i.e. average Texans.)

Be careful of what you say. Just because they have white friends/partners does not mean they identify with white culture. Also I was speaking for the majority, not the minority. So the few black people you may know that don't identify with that culture are not the rule, but the exception. Exceptions don't work in what I was talking about.

Offline brandon

• N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Texas
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 05:27:13 am »
Sorry if my post came across as disagreeing. I think your post was bang on in explaining why the people you described who put a lot of emphasis on clothing and material possessions are unlikely to be found at a clothing optional beach. I was just saying that the people I had observed probably don't fit the pattern you describe.

I suppose I was leaping to conclusions to say they might identify more with white culture. Black culture is diverse, so they could easily identify with different subsets.

I should get away from this labeling thing anyhow. One of the reasons people practice naturism is that they want to be treated as individuals, and not prejudged on the basis of clothing or cars.

Riot.EXE

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010, 01:04:15 pm »
I am an African American male and I can honestly say that most of the time when I go places, I am the only black person I see, or one of the very few.

I think most of it has to do with religion/culture that most black people embrace. I hate tracing things back like this, but religion is so important to a lot of black families, something that had been instilled from slavery, segregation, etc. that most won't stray or question it. From that, nudity becomes this sexual thing which your entire family frowns upon. You're only supposed to be naked when you're washing, and with your love. That's it. Otherwise you're being inappropriate and someone has to set you straight. As far as younger kids go, most youths are in not so great areas that promote how cool/popular you are by the things you own, especially clothes. When I was growing up it was important to have the brand new jordans, all the matching clothes, all the name brands etc. Girls wouldn't talk to you if you didn't have the right gear, if you wore old stuff, or mismatched you got clowned on, and the better your clothes were the more people respected you. It's part of the hip hop culture. The emphasis is on things, not people. The focus is on getting money, and more especially what you can buy with that money. Having really nice clothes everyone knows about shows you have money and status just like that music artist. Then there's also gang related things where clothes are important signs of what gang you're affiliated with or who you're not with. I remember avoiding wearing reds and blues when I lived at home just to avoid problems and concentrated on blacks/whites/greys and random colors like green and purple. Of course this doesn't work for every black person in America, but it's definitely a reason why for some, especially if you look at the stats of religion/socioeconomic status.

Basically this.

I'm Black AND Hispanic and this dude is so right it's not even funny.  Granted, I grew up in a multi-ethnic environment my entire life pre-chicago (6 years in New York, 14 years in Houston)...what Ace is saying is ridiculously true.

Offline joeyn

• Umm...
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Me
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 12:44:20 pm »
... but Spanish-speaking young males usually wear clothes (not swimsuits) and are often there to gawk.

Sounds like Hippie Hollow in Austin only they aren't always young either.

Joey