Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: VIDEO: World Naked Bike Ride, - The Documentary  (Read 42610 times)

Offline Danee

• Read-Only
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 135
VIDEO: World Naked Bike Ride, - The Documentary
« on: June 17, 2010, 03:06:11 pm »
In the events section, one can often see various announcements of upcoming World Naked Bike ride events held all over the world.  

This, is an award winning film (Philadelphia Festival of Film and Technology, USA; Wildscreen Festival UK) follows the planning and success of a most unusual political protest. The World Naked Bike ride isa protest in favour of body freedom (being happy whatever shape, colour or size you are) and challenges our dependency on oil based fuels. The film was screened in venues around the world, watched by over 100,000 people online, and broadcast on GreenTV and the Community Channel UK

« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 02:01:20 pm by Danee »
Top-free Equality. Its a right, not a privilege!
http://www.freethenipple.com/

Offline Hamish

• Read-Only
  • Nude with Towel
  • Referrals: 0
Re: World Naked Bike Ride, - The Documentary
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 07:43:04 pm »
This must be one of the best ways to raise the profile of naturism to the general public. Although it could be argued that the shock of naked people in a very public place goes against naturist values..... But its the shock factor which gets people interested and talking and so this helps to keep the issue of our consumer greed and oil dependency alive.

I took part in the naked bike ride in New Zealand and it was a fantastic experience! It has to be the fastest way to make friends  :123456 There were many locals out by the street clapping and cheering us in support.

"We are never alone when we are with Mother Nature" ~ Anthony Douglas Williams

genxnaturist

Re: VIDEO: World Naked Bike Ride, - The Documentary
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 04:43:07 am »
Its Great Documentary,

Though, people need to realize this is more about one specific world naked bike ride that is taking place in London and film to document it and not so much about various world naked bike rides around the world nor its history.

But as whole its great documentary.  I myself have slightly different dvd on world naked bike ride created by the cofounders. if anyone is interested in that one please let me know, i can tell you how to get hold of it.

Michael

jedinudist

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 08:09:40 am »
  I myself have slightly different dvd on world naked bike ride created by the cofounders. if anyone is interested in that one please let me know, i can tell you how to get hold of it.

Michael

I'm interested!

BTW - is anyone here at IYNO interested in coordinating a group to attend a ride in the United States?

genxnaturist

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 08:24:40 am »
Hi,

Thats good idea to get people in this group involved.  Pacific Northwest has some active world naked bike ride. Portland last year had crazy amount of people as in thousands participate.  Seattle and Vancouver, well the organizers are actually the originators of the World Naked Bike Ride.  I also know that San Francisco has such along with places like Chicago.

Michael

Stuart

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 03:01:41 pm »
I'm going to be a little controversial here and say that I really don't like the world naked bike ride phenomenon. Firstly, it associates naturism with a political view, which I think is a backwards step for naturism. I don't like it when people hijack naturism to promote a particular agenda, be it animal rights, scanners at airports, oil consumption or whatever. To introduce an agenda is divisive, and naturism doesn't need it.

Secondly, I don't think its a good advert for naturism. Apart from the fact that it associates us with a political view, it does just seem to attract a bunch of gawkers and portrays us as a bunch of exhibitionists.

Offline Danee

• Read-Only
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 135
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 03:19:54 pm »
I'm going to be a little controversial here and say that I really don't like the world naked bike ride phenomenon. Firstly, it associates naturism with a political view, which I think is a backwards step for naturism. I don't like it when people hijack naturism to promote a particular agenda, be it animal rights, scanners at airports, oil consumption or whatever. To introduce an agenda is divisive, and naturism doesn't need it.

Secondly, I don't think its a good advert for naturism. Apart from the fact that it associates us with a political view, it does just seem to attract a bunch of gawkers and portrays us as a bunch of exhibitionists.

While I do enjoy the WNBR and find it positive (mostly) as I think it does, generally speaking...., lessen the impact of shock of simple nudity to the audiences, many who are open minded families and such, I do see your rationale, Stuart.  I do.

-D
Top-free Equality. Its a right, not a privilege!
http://www.freethenipple.com/

Offline Jann

• Free Range Naturist
  • Female Chat
  • Nude without Towel
  • I am nothing if not myself
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 11:51:04 am »

I do understand Stuart's position concerning the association of naturism with a political view and I do agree with him in that regard.  However, as I understand it, the WNBR is not about naturism at all, it is about car dependency and the many environmental problems associated with it.  The WNBR uses nudity as a sure-fire means of getting public attention for that issue;  they aren't using cycling as a means of promoting naturism. 

The WNBR protesters are peaceful, orderly and attention-getting.  As a result they give public protest a good name, something which gives their protest legitimacy.  If there is a greater public awareness of body acceptance and/or the acceptance of public nudity as a result of the WNBR I consider that to be a positive by-product of the event, one which might have a positive downstream result for naturism itself.
Millions of years of evolution have combined to produce me. 
I'm rather hoping that I don't bugger it up in one lifetime.

Stuart

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 01:44:49 pm »
I do understand Stuart's position concerning the association of naturism with a political view and I do agree with him in that regard.  However, as I understand it, the WNBR is not about naturism at all, it is about car dependency and the many environmental problems associated with it.  The WNBR uses nudity as a sure-fire means of getting public attention for that issue;  they aren't using cycling as a means of promoting naturism. 

I'm not sure the public makes that distinction, especially when naturist outlets such as ourselves make a big deal of it.

Offline Jann

• Free Range Naturist
  • Female Chat
  • Nude without Towel
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 04:12:06 pm »

I'm not sure the public makes that distinction, especially when naturist outlets such as ourselves make a big deal of it.

Do we make too much of it?  I guess I had not seen it that way.  I understand that the local nudist club in Halifax, NS is the organizing body for the event there but I have no firsthand info about past rides.  Maybe I will go this year.  I can have "environmentalist" painted across my boobs and "not here to promote a naturist agenda" painted on my back.  That should confuse the issue sufficiently.

Still, I think the idea of a couple of thousand otherwise normal people proceeding through city streets naked and orderly is a good thing.  It lets the public see that we aren't shagging in the bushes at every corner and gets them used to the idea that not everyone need look like an underwear model.

Here is a thought.  Wouldn't if be a laugh if a WNBR participant was pulled over and cited for not wearing a helmet but no mention was made of the fact that the person was otherwise naked.

Stuart

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 04:46:40 pm »
Do we make too much of it?

"Too much" is a subjective term, but many nudists are very quick to associate themselves with it, which only reinforces the image of naturists as "tree-hugging hippy" types.

jedinudist

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 09:19:20 pm »
Hi,

Thats good idea to get people in this group involved.  Pacific Northwest has some active world naked bike ride. Portland last year had crazy amount of people as in thousands participate.  Seattle and Vancouver, well the organizers are actually the originators of the World Naked Bike Ride.  I also know that San Francisco has such along with places like Chicago.

Michael

Since I'm a 'senior citizen' here (LOL - couldn't help it) and and NOT an Admin or Mod or anything like that, I hesitate to push this any further. I think it would be fantastic to have an IYNO group going to one of the big rides! If we coordinate, we could share cost on rooms, expenses, etc.

I also think it would ROCK if various groups of IYNO members went to various big rides around the world.

I want to try for the Northwest United States rides like Seattle (because they are so well accepted there and so heavily attended).

genxnaturist

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 05:54:29 am »
Stuart,

Thanks for your comments and concerns.  I do know that the cofounders of World Naked Bike Ride are actual naturists.  They are active in trying to get nude beaches in greater Seattle Area.  Also one of the cofounders is also promoting nude gardening.  The logic behind reasoning behind naked bike ride and naturism was kinda extension of cofounders beliefs.  They tend to be closer to well nature, naturism isnt to far different from wording of naturist.  They started bike ride in ways to promote clean forms of transportation.  Also combining nude ride also is way to get attention.  Realize that Pacific Northwest in USA and Canada tends to be bit more libral than rest of USA.  Nudity isnt as taboo.  The Seattle Freemont Solstice Parade is famous for the unoffical start of parade with naked bodypainted cyclists.  So having these rides brings attention to both acceptance of nudity and clean forms of transportation.

Also cofounders are also activists.  You might disagree with such, but such is needed in naturism.  If it werent for activists, african americans wouldnt have civil liberties, and gay rights are becoming more accepted due to the activists.  That said what might be appropriate for activists in one area might not be appropriate to another.  Likewise activists should be promoting things in non threatening manner.  One reason for naked bike ride is when you do things that are pro environment it gets a lot of support at least here in Pacific Northwest.

Last, feel free not to support such, but given that naturist movement has been in many ways decline with lack of younger folks, such is needed.  Last year in Portland with full city support there were thousands of naked cyclists most who are younger generation participating.  Todays people who dont mind being nude might not want to be called nudists or even naturists, but same time they have no problems being nude and also promoting things they believe in.

Michael

Stuart

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 07:49:13 am »
I have a problem with the association of naturism with any political agenda. That's why I thought the organisation that endorsed the body scanners were stupid, not because of their opinion, but because they were aligning naturism with a particular viewpoint. Its divisive and a;ienates anyone who doesn't share the opinion

I've heard a few comments about the naked bike ride that describe naturists under the usual "tree hugging hippy" comments, and quite frankly I don't blame them.

Where do we draw the line?

Offline Jann

• Free Range Naturist
  • Female Chat
  • Nude without Towel
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 10:57:03 am »
I have a problem with the association of naturism with any political agenda. That's why I thought the organisation that endorsed the body scanners were stupid, not because of their opinion, but because they were aligning naturism with a particular viewpoint. Its divisive and a;ienates anyone who doesn't share the opinion

I've heard a few comments about the naked bike ride that describe naturists under the usual "tree hugging hippy" comments, and quite frankly I don't blame them.

Where do we draw the line?

Do we have to draw a line?  I am not unhappy being associated with environmentalism and I do my best to avoid dismissing people who knock off epithets like "tree hugging hippie."  They too have the right to their own opinion.  The hip thou shalt always have with you - that should be a proverb.  But of course there are myriad definitions of hip. Calling someone a hippie is just a modern tag used by segments of society to dismiss people holding views unpopular with the dying generation. 

But I do not believe that naturism need be yoked to environmentalism any more than it is than it is to vegetarianism.  Naturism should be a house of many mansions in which you can be a solitary hill walker or a public cyclist, each treating the other with mutual respect.