Naturist Resources > Videos

VIDEO: World Naked Bike Ride, - The Documentary

<< < (3/6) > >>

Stuart:

--- Quote from: Jann on January 10, 2011, 04:12:06 pm ---Do we make too much of it?

--- End quote ---

"Too much" is a subjective term, but many nudists are very quick to associate themselves with it, which only reinforces the image of naturists as "tree-hugging hippy" types.

jedinudist:

--- Quote from: genxnaturist on January 09, 2011, 08:24:40 am ---Hi,

Thats good idea to get people in this group involved.  Pacific Northwest has some active world naked bike ride. Portland last year had crazy amount of people as in thousands participate.  Seattle and Vancouver, well the organizers are actually the originators of the World Naked Bike Ride.  I also know that San Francisco has such along with places like Chicago.

Michael

--- End quote ---

Since I'm a 'senior citizen' here (LOL - couldn't help it) and and NOT an Admin or Mod or anything like that, I hesitate to push this any further. I think it would be fantastic to have an IYNO group going to one of the big rides! If we coordinate, we could share cost on rooms, expenses, etc.

I also think it would ROCK if various groups of IYNO members went to various big rides around the world.

I want to try for the Northwest United States rides like Seattle (because they are so well accepted there and so heavily attended).

genxnaturist:
Stuart,

Thanks for your comments and concerns.  I do know that the cofounders of World Naked Bike Ride are actual naturists.  They are active in trying to get nude beaches in greater Seattle Area.  Also one of the cofounders is also promoting nude gardening.  The logic behind reasoning behind naked bike ride and naturism was kinda extension of cofounders beliefs.  They tend to be closer to well nature, naturism isnt to far different from wording of naturist.  They started bike ride in ways to promote clean forms of transportation.  Also combining nude ride also is way to get attention.  Realize that Pacific Northwest in USA and Canada tends to be bit more libral than rest of USA.  Nudity isnt as taboo.  The Seattle Freemont Solstice Parade is famous for the unoffical start of parade with naked bodypainted cyclists.  So having these rides brings attention to both acceptance of nudity and clean forms of transportation.

Also cofounders are also activists.  You might disagree with such, but such is needed in naturism.  If it werent for activists, african americans wouldnt have civil liberties, and gay rights are becoming more accepted due to the activists.  That said what might be appropriate for activists in one area might not be appropriate to another.  Likewise activists should be promoting things in non threatening manner.  One reason for naked bike ride is when you do things that are pro environment it gets a lot of support at least here in Pacific Northwest.

Last, feel free not to support such, but given that naturist movement has been in many ways decline with lack of younger folks, such is needed.  Last year in Portland with full city support there were thousands of naked cyclists most who are younger generation participating.  Todays people who dont mind being nude might not want to be called nudists or even naturists, but same time they have no problems being nude and also promoting things they believe in.

Michael

Stuart:
I have a problem with the association of naturism with any political agenda. That's why I thought the organisation that endorsed the body scanners were stupid, not because of their opinion, but because they were aligning naturism with a particular viewpoint. Its divisive and a;ienates anyone who doesn't share the opinion

I've heard a few comments about the naked bike ride that describe naturists under the usual "tree hugging hippy" comments, and quite frankly I don't blame them.

Where do we draw the line?

Jann:

--- Quote from: Stuart on January 11, 2011, 07:49:13 am ---I have a problem with the association of naturism with any political agenda. That's why I thought the organisation that endorsed the body scanners were stupid, not because of their opinion, but because they were aligning naturism with a particular viewpoint. Its divisive and a;ienates anyone who doesn't share the opinion

I've heard a few comments about the naked bike ride that describe naturists under the usual "tree hugging hippy" comments, and quite frankly I don't blame them.

Where do we draw the line?

--- End quote ---

Do we have to draw a line?  I am not unhappy being associated with environmentalism and I do my best to avoid dismissing people who knock off epithets like "tree hugging hippie."  They too have the right to their own opinion.  The hip thou shalt always have with you - that should be a proverb.  But of course there are myriad definitions of hip. Calling someone a hippie is just a modern tag used by segments of society to dismiss people holding views unpopular with the dying generation. 

But I do not believe that naturism need be yoked to environmentalism any more than it is than it is to vegetarianism.  Naturism should be a house of many mansions in which you can be a solitary hill walker or a public cyclist, each treating the other with mutual respect.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version