Naturist Resources > Videos

VIDEO: World Naked Bike Ride, - The Documentary

<< < (2/6) > >>

Stuart:
I'm going to be a little controversial here and say that I really don't like the world naked bike ride phenomenon. Firstly, it associates naturism with a political view, which I think is a backwards step for naturism. I don't like it when people hijack naturism to promote a particular agenda, be it animal rights, scanners at airports, oil consumption or whatever. To introduce an agenda is divisive, and naturism doesn't need it.

Secondly, I don't think its a good advert for naturism. Apart from the fact that it associates us with a political view, it does just seem to attract a bunch of gawkers and portrays us as a bunch of exhibitionists.

Danee:

--- Quote from: Stuart on January 09, 2011, 03:01:41 pm ---I'm going to be a little controversial here and say that I really don't like the world naked bike ride phenomenon. Firstly, it associates naturism with a political view, which I think is a backwards step for naturism. I don't like it when people hijack naturism to promote a particular agenda, be it animal rights, scanners at airports, oil consumption or whatever. To introduce an agenda is divisive, and naturism doesn't need it.

Secondly, I don't think its a good advert for naturism. Apart from the fact that it associates us with a political view, it does just seem to attract a bunch of gawkers and portrays us as a bunch of exhibitionists.

--- End quote ---

While I do enjoy the WNBR and find it positive (mostly) as I think it does, generally speaking...., lessen the impact of shock of simple nudity to the audiences, many who are open minded families and such, I do see your rationale, Stuart.  I do.

-D

Jann:

--- Quote from: Stuart on January 09, 2011, 03:01:41 pm ---I'm going to be a little controversial here and say that I really don't like the world naked bike ride phenomenon. Firstly, it associates naturism with a political view, which I think is a backwards step for naturism. I don't like it when people hijack naturism to promote a particular agenda, be it animal rights, scanners at airports, oil consumption or whatever. To introduce an agenda is divisive, and naturism doesn't need it.

--- End quote ---

I do understand Stuart's position concerning the association of naturism with a political view and I do agree with him in that regard.  However, as I understand it, the WNBR is not about naturism at all, it is about car dependency and the many environmental problems associated with it.  The WNBR uses nudity as a sure-fire means of getting public attention for that issue;  they aren't using cycling as a means of promoting naturism. 

The WNBR protesters are peaceful, orderly and attention-getting.  As a result they give public protest a good name, something which gives their protest legitimacy.  If there is a greater public awareness of body acceptance and/or the acceptance of public nudity as a result of the WNBR I consider that to be a positive by-product of the event, one which might have a positive downstream result for naturism itself.

Stuart:

--- Quote from: Jann on January 10, 2011, 11:51:04 am ---I do understand Stuart's position concerning the association of naturism with a political view and I do agree with him in that regard.  However, as I understand it, the WNBR is not about naturism at all, it is about car dependency and the many environmental problems associated with it.  The WNBR uses nudity as a sure-fire means of getting public attention for that issue;  they aren't using cycling as a means of promoting naturism. 

--- End quote ---

I'm not sure the public makes that distinction, especially when naturist outlets such as ourselves make a big deal of it.

Jann:

--- Quote from: Stuart on January 10, 2011, 01:44:49 pm ---
--- Quote from: Jann on January 10, 2011, 11:51:04 am ---I do understand Stuart's position concerning the association of naturism with a political view and I do agree with him in that regard.  However, as I understand it, the WNBR is not about naturism at all, it is about car dependency and the many environmental problems associated with it.  The WNBR uses nudity as a sure-fire means of getting public attention for that issue;  they aren't using cycling as a means of promoting naturism. 

--- End quote ---

I'm not sure the public makes that distinction, especially when naturist outlets such as ourselves make a big deal of it.

--- End quote ---

Do we make too much of it?  I guess I had not seen it that way.  I understand that the local nudist club in Halifax, NS is the organizing body for the event there but I have no firsthand info about past rides.  Maybe I will go this year.  I can have "environmentalist" painted across my boobs and "not here to promote a naturist agenda" painted on my back.  That should confuse the issue sufficiently.

Still, I think the idea of a couple of thousand otherwise normal people proceeding through city streets naked and orderly is a good thing.  It lets the public see that we aren't shagging in the bushes at every corner and gets them used to the idea that not everyone need look like an underwear model.

Here is a thought.  Wouldn't if be a laugh if a WNBR participant was pulled over and cited for not wearing a helmet but no mention was made of the fact that the person was otherwise naked.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version