Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Painting and Wargaming  (Read 2947 times)

Offline Turtlejosh

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 5
Painting and Wargaming
« on: May 24, 2009, 11:52:45 pm »
Yo my posse ;)

Anyone here do anything thing painting models and wargaming like? Tabletop gaming basically. Things like Warhammer, Hordes and Warmachine I think.

I'm an avid Warhammer and Warhammer 40K player, and have to say that it is so fun to do. I've got myself a few armies, such as Lizardmen and Orcs, and Orks, Tau and Tyranids. THey take up loads of my time, and are more important to me even more than naturism, (boo i hear you say :P). I shall show you some examples of my work when I can take pictures, but won't be til tomorrow at least.

Offline jym

• Casually Dressed
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Painting and Wargaming
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 01:27:16 am »
I love collecting and modelling. Painting? Not so much.... but it's useful to cover up all the green stuff once I'm through with a model.

While I do have anything between 10-15 thousand points of unpainted Dark Elves (3rd to 7th editions), my main hobby is BattleTech. Nothing beats the satisfaction of stomping around a 31st century in a 30-foot tall walking war machine. ;-)

Yes, it takes up a lot of hobby time, but as opposed to being naked, it isn't exactly a way of life. :1234

Nude_not_rude

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 05:43:16 am »
Can't you combine that hobby and nude time as well? would make it more relaxing I'm sure

Offline Turtlejosh

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 09:49:53 am »
Ah, I think I've heard of BattleTech, some of the people on my other forum play it, and seem to like it. But that is alot of dark elves, my uncle would be jealous lol.

And the naked thing? two reasons stop me. Firstly, that would mean telling my parents and I'm not prepared to do so just to paint. And secondly, it would hurt alot. The amount of spears, metal torsos and swords I've had cutting my hand is bad enough, but without the protection of sturdy jeans, I would possibly be infertile dur to my clumsiness.

Offline Alex

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 14
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 10:15:31 am »
And secondly, it would hurt alot. The amount of spears, metal torsos and swords I've had cutting my hand is bad enough, but without the protection of sturdy jeans, I would possibly be infertile dur to my clumsiness.

Totally agree. I used to play 40K with Imperial Guard (I know, terrible choice :P)  But putting together metal pieces is hell, but it did bless me with hard knuckles and fingers for later in life xD
On an extended IYNO break... for now.

Offline jym

• Casually Dressed
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 11:47:33 am »
In all honesty? It ain't that bad! Though I guess a 1/285 scale autocannon won't hurt as much as a 28mm fanged sword.  :8767

As for BattleTech.... Well, the sheer amount of metal that I have for my DE shows you that I did enjoy WHFB hugely.

And the fact that it's now just collecting dust on shelves should tell you a lot about how much I like BT which is taking up *all* my hobby time.

Offline Turtlejosh

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 01:55:11 pm »
Imperial Guard ain't so bad now, new codex means more guns and more power, they're awesome apparently ;)

And yeah jym, I suppose its like what people play in your area, because here warhammer is a main contender. And fanged swords may be bad but those new Night Goblins were anooying little buggers, I used to have one or 2 sticking out of my hand lol.

And they're not so bad when your used to making them, just metal can be quite hard to glue. Plastic stays on much better imo, with plastic cement i think being used. Although I should really start pinning the models together.

I shall try and get my current models up when I can, the next one isnt the best pic, but has one of my models in the front (aswell as a secret project ;) )

Offline jym

• Casually Dressed
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 04:12:40 pm »
And yeah jym, I suppose its like what people play in your area, because here warhammer is a main contender. And fanged swords may be bad but those new Night Goblins were anooying little buggers, I used to have one or 2 sticking out of my hand lol.

Ouch!

Make no mistake, 40K is the big thing around here, too, with WHFB being a close runner up.

BT used to be quite huge in the early to mid 90s but has regressed into somewhat of a niche game since then. Which is all the more reason to advertise it, as it really deserves so much more.

Also, it is more of a board-tabletop-hybrid rather than a true tabletop game (though there are expanded rules to play it out with terrain). The usual game mode is models on a stylised map board.

A definite plus for BT is that you don't need any miniatures to play, but if you do want miniatures, 2-4 are enough for a game. GW games tend to be rather expensive...

Offline Turtlejosh

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 03:41:45 pm »

A definite plus for BT is that you don't need any miniatures to play, but if you do want miniatures, 2-4 are enough for a game. GW games tend to be rather expensive...

Oh yeah I see your point, But I have recently discovered some rather awesome discount sites ;) 15% is good enough for me

Offline jym

• Casually Dressed
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 07:16:44 pm »
Sounds good.

Anyways, it's not like I don't have several 100s of BT miniatures myself, so there goes that argument....  :4345

Offline Historybuff83

• Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 04:41:48 am »
Woot for online forum necromancy!  I have been on and off for WH40k for over a decade now.  Currently building a Space Wolves army for 40k.

-Felix