Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: I Did It For Science: Topless in the Park!  (Read 4510 times)

Offline Baseballfan

• Nude with Towel
  • Referrals: 0

Offline brandon

• N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Texas
  • Referrals: 5
Re: I Did It For Science: Topless in the Park!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 01:30:47 pm »
Thanks for that link! I found it interesting, and the reactions she got were different than I would have predicted. ***SPOILER ALERT*** I expected she would have attracted far more unwelcome attention from men, and more support from other women, rather than the whispers and scorn she encountered. 

While the experimenter found the experience somewhat stressful, the reaction to her toplessness was not that bad. I think if 5% of women went topless in that situation, the scornful women would get over it pretty quickly, or at least keep their comments to themselves.

I will now expose my complete naivete about female self-consciousness.

In her haste to cover up after her topless experiment, the writer neglected to put her bra back on:

As I rode the train home, I rested my breasts on my tote and willed my nipples not to get hard.

Is this really such a big deal? She was wearing a tank top, so it might have been tight, but wasn't like she was wearing a wet t-shirt. Is the possibility that people will notice hard nipples really something women care or are ashamed about?
We have it in our power to begin the world over again.  -Thomas Paine

Offline Fitz1980

• Shouting it out loud
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 02:41:14 pm »
Is the possibility that people will notice hard nipples really something women care or are ashamed about?

Yes it is.  My GF & my old roommate both had big boobs but always bought bras with some padding in them.  Neither was trying to make their boobs look bigger with the padding.  They both have the kind of nipples that easily get obviously hard even under a shirt.  They just wanted to cover that up.  I'm sure that us guys don't make it any easier cracking jokes and pointing it out when it happens.  Also not helped by other girls whispering "slut" or pointing it out like it's something they should take care of as though it were "hey your fly is unzipped." 

I've also known other girls who loved the attention it brought them though. 

Offline brandon

• N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Texas
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 05:27:30 pm »
As I said, I'm rather naive, but the only time I've heard it mentioned as slightly embarrassing was from an actress who had to do a swimming scene in very cold water.
We have it in our power to begin the world over again.  -Thomas Paine

Offline prodigal_son

• N Forum Veteran
  • Nude without Towel
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 01:28:53 am »
That's a great article, good find!

Offline vanesa1017

• Nude with Towel
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 03:30:56 pm »
Great article and a great read.  I have gone topfree in Riverside Park but have not walked around or gotten snacks like the writer.  Pretty impressive.

Kismet

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 03:51:23 pm »
Topfree in Riverside eh? Used to live right over there.

I don't know if you have had this experience as well, Vanessa, but I remember back when they decided that women could be topless anywhere men could (an excellent decision IMO) that there was this huge upswell of concern over what kids would see!!!

Since, I am yet to see one topless girl who was not lying on her stomach in any park in New York. Have you seen many?

I guess the kids are all right, and even without the law, most NY women actually have managed to keep their tops on (dang it). Go figure. :423

Offline joeyn

• Umm...
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Me
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 04:05:35 pm »
I can't believe she used the term "motorboat."
 :765

Offline Cabding

• Lord-Master of Vita Nuda Southeast
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Livin' la Vita Nuda!
  • Referrals: 9
    • Vita Nuda Southeast
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 05:41:38 pm »
She's my new favorite person!
Trying to unite the lost naked souls of the Southeast US. Message our Facebook page or PM me to get involved!

Eric

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 06:03:30 pm »

I don't know if you have had this experience as well, Vanessa, but I remember back when they decided that women could be topless anywhere men could (an excellent decision IMO) that there was this huge upswell of concern over what kids would see!!!

Since, I am yet to see one topless girl who was not lying on her stomach in any park in New York. Have you seen many?

I guess the kids are all right, and even without the law, most NY women actually have managed to keep their tops on (dang it). Go figure. :423

If you go to the Mermaid parade or Pride parade, you'll very likely see at least a few.

But outside of those events, I can count the number of times I've seen a topless woman around New York City on one hand, including when I convinced my girlfriend to do it and when I hired a model to do it.

I'm honestly a bit surprised that it's not more common among sunbathers in the parks. But then again, most people don't seem to even know that it's legal, which probably explains at least part of it.

Offline vanesa1017

• Nude with Towel
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 02:51:15 pm »

I am one of those gals lying on their stomach.  Havent seen many participate but have seen a few.  Riverside is not nearly as busy as central park so that is part of why I went over there.

The Mermaid Parade is a different animal altogether.

Offline Hamish

• Read-Only
  • Nude with Towel
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 10:16:20 pm »
Great post, thanks for that it was very interesting!

I agree with brandon when he pionts out that
"...if 5% of women went topless in that situation, the scornful women would get over it pretty quickly, or at least keep their comments to themselves."

It was because the girl was acting so differently to everyone else that she drew so much attention. If more people enjoyed walking about top free then it would become the norm and, therefore, everyone in whichever state of dress would feel secure and comfortable in that situation.

The girl was in the minority that is why she was uncomfortable. I think that, because us naturists are in the minority, it will take brave people, like our topless friend, to test and push the boundaries and acceptability of naturism in society.

Perhaps a good way to do this would be to gather the brave people and work as a team! That is why we should all make every effort to atend and support body positive events  :323232

"We are never alone when we are with Mother Nature" ~ Anthony Douglas Williams