Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: The beach as a liminal space: The cultural significance of the nude beach  (Read 2765 times)

Offline brandon

• N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Texas
  • Referrals: 5
If you don't mind a little heavy slogging, you might find this interesting. (Words in italics are defined at the end. Bolding within the article is mine.)

The excerpt below is taken from an article which examines why naturists (among others) are attracted to beaches. This isn't to say that there are not other naturist venues such as parks, but I think most of us would agree that the beach is the quintessential naturist gathering place.

The author argues that it is, in part, the liminal nature of the beach that draws naturists; the naturist beach is a timeless space of sun-worship on the periphery of our geography and our social mores.

Of course we go to the beach to enjoy naturism because we like the sun, the sand, and the sound of waves, but I think there is also some truth to the argument that we go to the beach because it is a metaphor. The beach is the edge of the medieval map with the inscription, hic sunt dracones (Here be dragons).

excerpted from “The beach as a liminal space,” a scholarly essay by
Robert Preston-Whyte, (Professor Emeritus, University of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa)
in A Companion to Tourism, Blackwell Publishing, Oxford, 2004
Lew, A.A. and Hall, C.M., editors
pp 355-356

Nudist spaces

The signs and symbols assigned to the wearing of clothes are associated with indicators of power, status, and gender in most Western societies. In these societies, public nudity commonly carries with it a level of social opprobrium, largely shaped by religious dogma, which tends to be articulated through expressions of disgust, disapproval, and suspicion. If the subject of nudist beaches is raised in social gatherings there are likely to be three responses. The first is a stern rebuke for even considering such aberrant sinful behavior. The second is a shifty-eyed denial of any interest in the practice of nudism. The third is enthusiastic acknowledgment of support for nudist beaches.

The third group of respondents appears to be growing in number. An exploration of the internet reveals a large number of nudist beaches on the continent of Europe, North America, and Australia. More relaxed attitudes on the part of local administrators and the police have accompanied the growing popularity of "clothing optional" public beaches. Many such beaches now have tacit recognition from local authorities and some have even progressed to the next stage of acquiring legal status. Morfa beach at Dyffryn Ardudwy near Barmouth in Wales is an example where 30 years of disrobing has finally received official recognition. Morfa beach is acclaimed to be the nation's first official nudist beach (BBC News 2002). What is the attraction of these beaches?

It would be naive to expect a simple answer to this question. There is little doubt, however, that "nudists" are attracted by the liminal nature of these beaches. The discourse of nature [naturism?] emphasizes tolerance, and a passive sensuality is tamed by individual self-regulation (Evans 2000). There is also a sense of liberation that comes with disrobing. "Nudity," according to Skye Delaney (2002), "is in fact a metaphor for peeling off false layers of the self. The many masks we wear in life, the many layers of falsehood that get us from one place to the next, can sometimes result in exhaustion." This suggests that nudist beaches are spaces of relaxation where the atmosphere of liminality allows the stressed and largely educated "free-thinkers" to relax and release the tensions of life. Evans (2000: 17) draws on Stam's (1988) critique of Mikhail Bakhtin's notion of Carnival in a searching analysis of motivation to suggest that

Eros and nudity; the doffing of symbols of class and the mixing of distinct social groups; the ambiguity of a semiotics without clothes; communal rites of disrobing; and the background discourses of utopian freedom; all these phenomena at Wreck Beach combine with its ideational and geographical marginality to produce a Carnival atmosphere in Bakhtin's sense.

The ease of access, liberation and sense of community that characterize the timeless atmosphere of nudist beaches is admirably captured by Evans (2000: 19):

The cost of entry is small — a willingness to dispense with normative ideals of modesty and propriety. Once naked, people, no matter what their class, gender, or ethnic origins, are bona fide members of the community. In their nudity, they share a bond, a trans-personal sense of belonging. In their ritualized participation in the timeless space of sun-worship, they mutually step outside the tyranny of the clock and the tyranny of "normal" surveillance. They are, in a sense, united in a timeless space of ludic pleasure and sensual recuperation; they belong to a place out of time and out of normalcy.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

liminal: adj. relating to the point or threshold beyond which a sensation becomes too faint to be experienced

doff: verb to remove, throw off, get rid of

semiotics: noun
1. the study of signs and symbols as elements of communicative behavior; the analysis of systems of communication, as language, gestures, or clothing.
2. a general theory of signs and symbolism, usually divided into the branches of pragmatics, semantics, and syntactics.

ideational:  adj. theoretical, conceptual, broadly: consisting of or referring to ideas or thoughts of objects not immediately present to the senses

ludic: adj. playful in an aimless way
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 11:27:54 pm by brandon »
We have it in our power to begin the world over again.  -Thomas Paine

Offline Jann

• Free Range Naturist
  • Female Chat
  • Nude without Towel
  • I am nothing if not myself
  • Referrals: 0
Re: The beach as a liminal space: The cultural significance of the nude beach
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 08:28:56 pm »
Of course we go to the beach to enjoy naturism because we like the sun, the sand, and the sound of waves, but I think there is also some truth to the argument that we go to the beach because it is a metaphor. The beach is the edge of the medieval map with the inscription, hic sunt dracones (Here be dragons).

And this is why I both like and dislike nudist beaches.

I like the beaches and the bodies of water attached thereto.  I like to be able to swim and sunbathe.  Nudist beaches are places more or less set aside for nudists/naturists to enjoy in safety.

I dislike these beaches because they are places more or less set aside for nudists/naturists to enjoy in isolation.  Like the nudist club or "colony" they are preserves in which we are left to our non-mainstream pursuits in much the same way as dangerous or endangered species of animals are confined to nature preserves and zoos.  I resent deeply the fact that we naturists are treated in this manner.  I decry the fact that we huddle together in tiny enclaves rather than expanding our range.  I am a free range naturist by choice.

I have visited nudist beaches where it was considered to be provocative to get up and walk around.  There are some among our number who consider that nudism is a state of motionless.  Maybe it is, but naturism is not.

I have visited a naturist resort where it was considered provocative to be naked after dark, as though broiling on the beach was the one and only reason to be a nudist.  Maybe it is, but that is not so for naturists.

:4235
Millions of years of evolution have combined to produce me. 
I'm rather hoping that I don't bugger it up in one lifetime.

Offline brandon

• N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Texas
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 09:15:21 pm »
I had forgotten about this topic, and am impressed that you actually took the time to read it and comment. Thank you!

Many of us here probably share your feelings. But if beaches are the only place to be nude, at least that's better than having nowhere.

There's a thread I Did It For Science: Topless in the Park! about Central Park in New York City, where it seems people are cool with female toplessness as long as the woman is lying down, but much less so if she walks around, or worse yet, stands in line to use the restroom.

The social norm of nudity not being welcome after dark at a naturist resort is particularly laughable.

BTW, just in case anyone was wondering, University of KwaZulu-Natal has nothing to do with the code name for Kinect for the Xbox 360, as far as I know.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 09:36:38 pm by brandon »
We have it in our power to begin the world over again.  -Thomas Paine

Offline Cabding

• Lord-Master of Vita Nuda Southeast
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Livin' la Vita Nuda!
  • Referrals: 9
    • Vita Nuda Southeast
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 09:29:37 pm »
I guess it seems like we can make all the laws we want making certain things okay to do, but when someone does it people are shocked just as that female in NY.
Trying to unite the lost naked souls of the Southeast US. Message our Facebook page or PM me to get involved!

Eric

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 07:25:43 pm »
And this is why I both like and dislike nudist beaches.

I like the beaches and the bodies of water attached thereto.  I like to be able to swim and sunbathe.  Nudist beaches are places more or less set aside for nudists/naturists to enjoy in safety.

I dislike these beaches because they are places more or less set aside for nudists/naturists to enjoy in isolation.  Like the nudist club or "colony" they are preserves in which we are left to our non-mainstream pursuits in much the same way as dangerous or endangered species of animals are confined to nature preserves and zoos.  I resent deeply the fact that we naturists are treated in this manner.  I decry the fact that we huddle together in tiny enclaves rather than expanding our range.  I am a free range naturist by choice.

I have visited nudist beaches where it was considered to be provocative to get up and walk around.  There are some among our number who consider that nudism is a state of motionless.  Maybe it is, but naturism is not.

I have visited a naturist resort where it was considered provocative to be naked after dark, as though broiling on the beach was the one and only reason to be a nudist.  Maybe it is, but that is not so for naturists.

:4235

Rarely do I comment just to say "Well said"... but well said.