Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Pulp Fiction  (Read 5163 times)

Stuart

Re: Pulp Fiction
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 09:01:26 pm »
What do you think of fight club? It's another violent movie enjoyed for its dialogs but it's not in Tarantino style.

Fight Club is an excellent film - it has an awful lot to say about the modern detachment from the natural world that naturists so often try to step back from, only with a more violent and aggressive edge!

Offline Luke M

• Nude with Towel
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 04:42:01 am »
Wow, I didn't expect so many replies within a day's time :D
Thanks to all who have replied and have (partially) solved the mystery behind Pulp Fiction. Perhaps I CAN bring myself together to watch it again. I should pair it with some ethanol and nudity...perhaps that may add to my enjoyment of the movie.

What do you think of fight club? It's another violent movie enjoyed for its dialogs but it's not in Tarantino style.

Whoa. There's a lot more to Fight Club than just another violent movie.

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 05:44:15 am »
Whoa. There's a lot more to Fight Club than just another violent movie.

And there's a lot more to pulp fiction too. But they have the same kind of pacing. Both are very "talky" violent movies.

For the record, I enjoyed both a lot.
"Politics is an ocean of toes" - Jacques Parizeau (1930-2015, RIP)

Offline Steggsaurus

• Andy
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2010, 08:35:10 pm »

Fight Club is an excellent film - it has an awful lot to say about the modern detachment from the natural world that naturists so often try to step back from, only with a more violent and aggressive edge!

yes.  it isn't just nihilistic.  it's exploring the nature of nihilism and how it can, at times, be the only possible response to life in the modern world.

Riot.EXE

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 09:31:06 pm »
Don't forget about the awesome soundtrack! ^^

(By the way, Black Eyed Peas should be burned alive for their remix of the Miserlou track)

That wasn't a remix...they sampled the tune for a completely different track.  Welcome to Hip Hop.  (I don't wanna get into it.  P.S.  Black Eyed Peas post-Fergie is bleh for the most part)

Offline Fitz1980

• Shouting it out loud
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2010, 12:32:09 am »
I've always really dug "Pulp Fiction" & most of Tarantino's work, epically "From Dusk Till Dawn."  You do have to get passed the fact that most of the characters are amoral bad people, but I've always found the dialogue to be fun & the characters to be interesting.

I notice that you list your location as Germany; could there be a language issue here?  If you were watching a dubbed version I'd imagine that much of the actor's performances would lose something if they were dubbed into another language.

JayJay

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2010, 10:08:41 am »
I loved that movie, although it was rather violent for my taste, and there was a lot of swearing.

Sorry, I can't explain why it is so great.

The soundtrack is excellent too.

Brandon sums it up for my too really.

And i also agree with stuart on this

Offline NudeBoldo

• N Forum Veteran
  • Nude with Towel
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2010, 06:45:30 am »
I notice that you list your location as Germany; could there be a language issue here?  If you were watching a dubbed version I'd imagine that much of the actor's performances would lose something if they were dubbed into another language.
Yeah, German is my mother tongue...but I've watched the English version...studied 10 semesters of English (am an English teacher), so it's not a translational issue. I really dug from dusk till dawn and kill bill, but pulp fiction...well, I approach to watch it again, maybe I'll like it this time ;)

wesp

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2010, 12:49:15 am »
I think Pulp Fiction was one of the top films of the 90s. Willis, Jackson, Thurman, Tim Roth, Harvey Keitel, Ving Rhames...all amazing performances. The plot is original. The soundtrack is wonderful, it's Tarantino's trademark.

I'm surprised anyone didn't at least find it amusing. When I saw this was a topic I thought that people were going to ask "What was in the briefcase?" which is the interesting plot device which is never properly explained...

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2010, 12:53:01 am »
I'm surprised anyone didn't at least find it amusing. When I saw this was a topic I thought that people were going to ask "What was in the briefcase?" which is the interesting plot device which is never properly explained...

Tarantino gave two different answers to that question:

- It's just a Macguffin meant to drive the plot along
- Oh, we had to cut that out of the movie, unfortunately. But when you know what it is, it changes *everything* in the movie.
"Politics is an ocean of toes" - Jacques Parizeau (1930-2015, RIP)

Offline Steggsaurus

• Andy
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2010, 10:21:01 am »
When I was at uni, my housemate wrote a whole essay for film studies on what could be in the briefcase. His conclusion was that it doesn't matter but it shows how we like to read more into films than is actually there (especially with the theory that it's Marcellus Wallace's soul).

I like the idea that it's the diamonds from Reservoir Dogs - although they wouldn't glow like that, really...

wesp

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2010, 09:05:22 pm »
That it would be the loot from Resevoir Dogs is a cool idea, Tarantino may have actually put that much thought into it...

Offline Luke M

• Nude with Towel
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2010, 11:48:12 pm »
When I was at uni, my housemate wrote a whole essay for film studies on what could be in the briefcase. His conclusion was that it doesn't matter but it shows how we like to read more into films than is actually there (especially with the theory that it's Marcellus Wallace's soul).

Agreed. Read up on forums about what people are saying about Inception for a great example of how people like to read more into films than is actually there.

Riot.EXE

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2010, 12:50:41 am »

Agreed. Read up on forums about what people are saying about Inception for a great example of how people like to read more into films than is actually there.

The USA needs to have a damn explanation for EVERYTHING.