Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Star Trek nerdery from the phone addiction thread - Klingon needed  (Read 2105 times)

Offline brumnude

• Topless with bottoms
  • Referrals: 0
....I am a little Borg-like with them, mobile internet devices being a link to the hive mind, calculators being useful to offload processing etc.

goodness you sound like me! how into star trek are you? do you know any Klingon? :P
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 08:59:29 pm by Delta »

Online Delta

• Administrator
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • For SCIENCE!
  • Referrals: 3
Re: Is your phone part of you? Are you bonded to your technology?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 10:31:20 pm »
....I am a little Borg-like with them, mobile internet devices being a link to the hive mind, calculators being useful to offload processing etc.

goodness you sound like me! how into star trek are you? do you know any Klingon? :P
One or two words - mainly the standard ones, qapla' and the likes. However, I do have a habit of speaking a little like Data, or use Picard's accent. Using a british actor to play a frenchman really results in an awesome accent. An awesome accent drinking Earl Grey tea, though I, unlike Picard, prefer mine with a spoonful of sugar.

If this much Star Trek nerdery bothers anyone here, sometimes I also view an internet connection like a Matrix jack.
Please send me a message on the forum before contacting me over IM. For best results, also mention what you want to talk about, I am not much of a smalltalker.

Offline Ed

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 11:32:34 am »
If this much Star Trek nerdery bothers anyone here, sometimes I also view an internet connection like a Matrix jack.
Picard was definitely my favourite captain, nerd away :P

Offline brumnude

• Topless with bottoms
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 11:50:31 pm »
One or two words - mainly the standard ones, qapla' and the likes. However, I do have a habit of speaking a little like Data, or use Picard's accent. Using a british actor to play a frenchman really results in an awesome accent. An awesome accent drinking Earl Grey tea, though I, unlike Picard, prefer mine with a spoonful of sugar.

actually it's Q'apla and if you really want to risk your life say Hab SoSlI' Quch! it means your mother has a smooth forehead! Love earl grey and in fact hardly ever drink normal tea. on the odd occasions i have used expressions such as 'resistance is futile' or 'you must comply'. usually when people are being awkward

Online Delta

• Administrator
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • For SCIENCE!
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 12:25:04 am »

actually it's Q'apla and if you really want to risk your life say Hab SoSlI' Quch! it means your mother has a smooth forehead! Love earl grey and in fact hardly ever drink normal tea. on the odd occasions i have used expressions such as 'resistance is futile' or 'you must comply'. usually when people are being awkward
I doubt that this is the actual spelling. A capital Q is a sound like a small q followed by a sound similar to the 'ch's found in German or Welsh, and sounds a little like Kr. The letter is found in the Klingon name for their homeworld, Qo'noS
Please send me a message on the forum before contacting me over IM. For best results, also mention what you want to talk about, I am not much of a smalltalker.

Stuart

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 11:31:01 am »

My mother does have a smooth forehead...

Online Delta

• Administrator
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • For SCIENCE!
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 12:09:26 pm »

I doubt that this is the actual spelling. A capital Q is a sound like a small q followed by a sound similar to the 'ch's found in German or Welsh, and sounds a little like Kr. The letter is found in the Klingon name for their homeworld, Qo'noS
Well, I stand corrected, some sources indeed list it that way, but with each Klingon dialect having its own spelling (as evidenced by the many forms of petaQ), it is hard to come up with a unified one. I tried to derive it from the pronounciation of the letters, but apparently, there is a more common spelling.

Offline brandon

• N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Texas
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 03:28:07 pm »
--> Klingon thread?
I will try, I hope it works--- Delta
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 08:56:57 pm by Delta »
We have it in our power to begin the world over again.  -Thomas Paine

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 09:44:56 pm »
--> Klingon thread?
I will try, I hope it works
--- Delta

Try? That is so un-Klingon.
"Politics is an ocean of toes" - Jacques Parizeau (1930-2015, RIP)

Offline brumnude

• Topless with bottoms
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 12:52:29 am »

My mother does have a smooth forehead...

well yes she would she is human. but tell that to a klingon and he will try to rip your beating heart out of your chest as it would be a grave insult to his family name and honour

Online Delta

• Administrator
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • For SCIENCE!
Re: Star Trek nerdery from the phone addiction thread - Klingon needed
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 11:42:28 am »
Probably even the descendants of Augments, for whom this might be accurate, but who DO NOT want to talk about that.

Offline brumnude

• Topless with bottoms
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 07:55:26 pm »
 :4245 :66322
Probably even the descendants of Augments, for whom this might be accurate, but who DO NOT want to talk about that.
were they not all killed when captain archer crippled the Klingon ship and the lead augment blew the ship up? malik himself was shot dead with a fazer rifle. I'm not sure there would have been any descendants.

Online Delta

• Administrator
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • For SCIENCE!
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 08:03:55 pm »
Do you not remember the episode where some Klingon researchers tried to copy the augmentations, which resulted in the DNA modification code being added to a wildly spreading virus which infected a number of Klingons and gave them some human features, including a smooth forehead? That was the in-universe explanation why the TOS Klingons had smooth foreheads - Worf even commented on Koloth's crew (from that Tribble episode) having that feature in DS9 as something Klingons do not talk about with outsiders.

Offline brumnude

• Topless with bottoms
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 06:42:58 pm »
Do you not remember the episode where some Klingon researchers tried to copy the augmentations, which resulted in the DNA modification code being added to a wildly spreading virus which infected a number of Klingons and gave them some human features, including a smooth forehead? That was the in-universe explanation why the TOS Klingons had smooth foreheads - Worf even commented on Koloth's crew (from that Tribble episode) having that feature in DS9 as something Klingons do not talk about with outsiders.
Oooh yea! They explained that but never explained either the Klingon or Romulan neutral zone. ok archer upset the Klingon a few times but did some good as well. Almost wish they had either continued Enterprise or did a movie to wrap things up and explain a few more things. The Enterprise ending was a bit lame to be honest.