Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: College football  (Read 2678 times)

Offline tolkienfan86

• Topless with bottoms
  • Referrals: 1
College football
« on: August 30, 2010, 04:40:28 am »
Hey everyone the start of the college football season is almost upon us!

Which team(s) do you follow and what are your predictions for who'll be in the championship game?

Offline Five9

• N Forum Veteran
  • Nude without Towel
  • Referrals: 3
    • Tumblr
Re: College football
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 05:09:49 am »
USC :(
Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever.

Offline Historybuff83

• Shouting it out loud
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 12:02:45 pm »
The school is threatening to cut the program after this season due to budget cuts. Also doesn't help that it's a Division II program, and really, who cares about Division II football?
Which leads to a good question of is the current model of how universities run their football programs sustainable in its current state.  Yes college football is a huge money maker, but seemingly only if your name is USC, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Texas, Oklahoma or top tier SEC university.  A large chunk of colleges would seem to lose a lot of money, if they can not bring in the ticket and merchandising sales.  And like Jared says, who cares about Div II football?  (well Michigan did, or rather should have in 2007, but that is neither here nor there  :Butt Shake:)

Offline Craig

• Nude with Towel
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 11:37:35 pm »
I am waiting for the season to start so hopefully all of UNC's off the field troubles can come to an end.

Offline tolkienfan86

• Topless with bottoms
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 03:12:46 am »
Craig: Off-the-field troubles are never good. What kind of the off-the-field troubles? Drug use and DUIs?

Jared: Last year sometime Western Washington University decided to cut its football program. The program wasn't a D1A program but there was quite a bit of tradition there. Additionally, they played Central Washington University every year in Seattle. That was one of the biggest games for both schools all year. Now Central's kind of out in the cold because their rival doesn't field football anymore :(

Maybe it is too early to start calling championship game participants. Although it is possible Alabama will be there again. Personally, I'd love to a see a 16-team playoff (D1A football is the only NCAA sport without a playoff) but the necessary changes that would have to be made to the season schedule would be enormous. The BCS system needs to go - it's too broke to try to fix.

I cheer for Washington, because that's where I graduated from. Most teams I'm indifferent about, but there's some I can't stand. We'll see it should be exciting this year!

little_man

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 04:57:19 am »
I mainly follow the Big Ten (which is now 12 teams... welcome Nebraska), having gone to Wisconsin. As long as we beat Ohio State, Minnesota, and Michigan; I'm happy.  Ideally, I'd like them to take down Purdue, Penn State, Michigan State, and Iowa as well.

Jared, great choice in team. :)  Go Badgers!

Edited because "a Wisconsin" brings shame on my alma mater.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 05:19:39 am by little_man »

Offline tolkienfan86

• Topless with bottoms
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 04:37:08 am »
So the Big Ten and the Big XII are going to switch names? lol

In all honesty I think the Pac-10 did a horrible job with their expansion. If you're going to add 2 teams, there's a couple combinations that would be much better choices...Idaho and Boise State for one.

little_man

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 09:38:59 pm »
It's still 11 teams. Nebraska doesn't officially join until the 2011 season.
I'm still unhappy about the division breakdowns. Wisconsin's big rivalries (other than OSU) are all on the other division: Iowa, Michigan, and Minnesota.  Sadly, the rivalry between Iowa and WI was not protected. :(  Hopefully, WI and MN still get to battle it out for Paul Bunyan's axe each year.

little_man

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 06:22:32 pm »
ME TOO! It's almost not worth following any more.
The Big Ten was known for its deep competitive spirit. Instead of only 2-3 teams that were competitive every year, each year, every team went for it. Heck- even Northwestern made a run and beat out some Big Ten "powerhouse" teams the past couple seasons. That is what I loved about it. We fed off each others' energies. Game day at Camp Randall was electric. Now, it feels like somebody punched WI in the gut after stealing its best friend.

Granted, I'm not from either school, but from my perspective, the WI-OSU and WI-Michigan rivalries are just as big as OSU-MI, MI-Michigan State. Sad, that we also lost a trophy rivalry in WI-Iowa. I want my boys to be able to battle for that Heartland Trophy!  (At least they protected WI-MN.  If they hadn't, WI would've gotten screwed over even more.)

I'm still unsure why the Big Ten felt the need to expand in the first place.

Offline Historybuff83

• Shouting it out loud
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 07:25:53 pm »
The Big Ten expanded because normally the teams of the Big Ten ended their seasons almost a full month ahead of everyone else.  That kept Big Ten teams out of the mindset of BCS voters and the Big Ten felt that hurt their teams in the polls.  Adding an adidtional team gave them the even number so they could split into 2 divisions so they could have a Big 10 Championship game.  That way the Big Ten could still remain relevant in the eyes of the BCS when the ACC, SEC, Big 12 etc have their championship weekends.  I believe the Pac 12 got their 2 additional teams for the same purpose.

Offline tolkienfan86

• Topless with bottoms
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 09:21:35 am »
I thought the real reason was $$$$$$$$. They'll get it from TV contracts and from having a championship game. I don't think relevancy is the issue. Ohio State was in the Rose Bowl this year as well as the BCS Championship Game in '07 and '08. And Iowa beat Georgia Tech in the Orange Bowl this year.

I agree the two new divisions in the Big Ten are hideous.

wesp

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 01:54:01 pm »
Lots of good points guys. I like the way Alabama played in the championship game, if they didn't loose too many seniors then I pick them again.

Offline jenlaw

• Casually Dressed
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 02:52:59 pm »
USC fan, but they can't go to any bowl even if they are the best team due to the ridiculous sanctions. Nebraska looks good. I'll be happy as long as Texas and Boise State don't win

little_man

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2010, 03:01:29 am »
#18 Wisconsin just beat #1Ohio State @ Camp Randall!  WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

This is turning out to be a good year of college football.

Offline brandon

• N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Texas
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2010, 09:40:12 pm »
Rice beat University of Houston on Saturday.
We have it in our power to begin the world over again.  -Thomas Paine