Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: house of leaves?  (Read 1189 times)

Offline Jossalin

• Female Chat
  • Nude with Towel
  • Referrals: 0
house of leaves?
« on: September 09, 2010, 08:50:57 pm »
has anyone read this book? I got it tattooed on my due to a song dedicated to this book but this book is very confusing.Any advise on how to better understand it?
Naked is a form of dress, nothing more and nothing less

Offline Cabding

• Lord-Master of Vita Nuda Southeast
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Livin' la Vita Nuda!
  • Referrals: 9
    • Vita Nuda Southeast
Re: house of leaves?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 04:36:33 pm »
can't say i've heard of it. synopsis?
Trying to unite the lost naked souls of the Southeast US. Message our Facebook page or PM me to get involved!

Offline Jossalin

• Female Chat
  • Nude with Towel
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 08:35:47 pm »
it's a crazy book and its written so you have to read it a million times to understand.I like it:)
Naked is a form of dress, nothing more and nothing less

Offline Steggsaurus

• Andy
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 10:44:44 pm »
Yeah. I haven't read it (yet - it's near the top of my list!) but when I was at uni studying English Literature the general consensus was that it was written to give people like us headaches as it really defies the sort of analysis we were used to giving to texts, although most people who had read it considered it a work of real genius.  From what I understand it plays games with the reader like 'The Name of the Rose' on steroids, but I could be misinformed.

The band Johnny Truant (who nobody here has probably heard of either!) named themselves after a character in the novel.

Lisa2408

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 01:46:00 am »
We read the book Das Haus – House of Leaves from Mark Z. Danielewski in the last Highschool year.
The format and structure of the novel is unconventional, with unusual page layout and style, making it ergodic literature.
It contains copious footnotes, many of which contain footnotes themselves, and some of which reference books that do not exist. Some pages contain only a few words or lines of text, arranged in strange ways to mirror the events in the story, often creating both an agoraphobic and a claustrophobic  effect. The novel is also distinctive for its multiple narrators, who interact with each other throughout the story in disorienting and elaborate ways.

The WDR broadcast in December 2009, a radio play, which takes up several themes of the book and in an experiment to replicate the complexity of the book tries. The station Eins Live, WDR 3 WDR and beamed five different versions of the radio play from the same time, switch between which one could in order to get further information and relationships within the story. The station called it the first 3D-radio play.