Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Television  (Read 10271 times)

Stuart

Re: Television
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2010, 05:46:16 pm »
Almost nothing on TV does.

Doctor Who will bring joy to your life  :66664333

And he wears a bow tie. Bow ties are cool.

Offline peteR

• N Forum Veteran
  • Nude without Towel
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2010, 05:48:43 pm »
The problem is the advertising - which generates a perceived need for stuff that you don't really need, makes you want things that you can barely afford, and leads you to believe that if you just buy the right things you'll be happy. But you won't be. TV advertising is particularly bad for a whole host of reasons which I don't have time to elaborate on now.
But advertising serves a really useful purpose, too. You can go to the toilet or get something to eat or drink without missing anything. And I'm not trying to be funny here, it's what I actually do.

haha either way it is really all pointless. I used to watch CSI and now that I even try to watch it I think of how it's fake and there's no point to it, it doesn't benifit my life in any way.Almost nothing on TV does.
Well, I can only speak for myself, but sometimes I'm glad there's entertainment that doesn't require me to use my brain. Not everything I do has to fulfill a purpose.

Offline Jossalin

• Female Chat
  • Nude with Towel
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2010, 09:14:23 pm »
The problem is the advertising - which generates a perceived need for stuff that you don't really need, makes you want things that you can barely afford, and leads you to believe that if you just buy the right things you'll be happy. But you won't be. TV advertising is particularly bad for a whole host of reasons which I don't have time to elaborate on now.
But advertising serves a really useful purpose, too. You can go to the toilet or get something to eat or drink without missing anything. And I'm not trying to be funny here, it's what I actually do.

haha either way it is really all pointless. I used to watch CSI and now that I even try to watch it I think of how it's fake and there's no point to it, it doesn't benifit my life in any way.Almost nothing on TV does.
Well, I can only speak for myself, but sometimes I'm glad there's entertainment that doesn't require me to use my brain. Not everything I do has to fulfill a purpose.

That is just you because I think every single minute in your life counts.
Naked is a form of dress, nothing more and nothing less

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2010, 09:35:29 pm »

In moderation, minutes spent on mindless fun are minutes well spent.
"Politics is an ocean of toes" - Jacques Parizeau (1930-2015, RIP)

Offline peteR

• N Forum Veteran
  • Nude without Towel
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2010, 12:22:12 am »
So you never do anything that doesn't fulfill any purpose? Do you, for example, never sleep longer than 7h/day? Do you only listen to music that is really meaningful? Most of the shows I watch, e.g. House, Dexter or CSI, won't improve my life, but it's my decision how I spend my time. And I don't think time spent relaxing is time wasted.

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2010, 12:43:36 am »
Most of the shows I watch, e.g. House, Dexter or CSI, won't improve my life,

Of course they will, do you want to suffer from a nervous breakdown because you work every waking moment?
Taking time to relax improves your life, no matter how you choose to do so.
"Politics is an ocean of toes" - Jacques Parizeau (1930-2015, RIP)

Offline peteR

• N Forum Veteran
  • Nude without Towel
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2010, 01:56:36 am »
Of course they will, do you want to suffer from a nervous breakdown because you work every waking moment?
Sure, I agree with you on this, but what I wanted to say is that these shows won't make me smarter or teach me any skills. It's just pointless entertainment, but that's nothing bad in my eyes.

Offline joeyn

• Umm...
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Me
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2010, 01:50:36 pm »
I'm ready for the new season to start.

Looking forward to Hawaii Five-0

:)

Offline Jossalin

• Female Chat
  • Nude with Towel
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2010, 03:57:15 pm »
So you never do anything that doesn't fulfill any purpose? Do you, for example, never sleep longer than 7h/day? Do you only listen to music that is really meaningful? Most of the shows I watch, e.g. House, Dexter or CSI, won't improve my life, but it's my decision how I spend my time. And I don't think time spent relaxing is time wasted.
I sleep like this http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/10/polyphasic-sleep/ and I try to make everything I do count.And all the music I listen to means something to me, I don't listen to pointless music such as little wayne and kesha with their pointless songs.Watch whatever you pleased to, you have the freedom to do so.I just feel that way about TV I'm not forcing you to think how I think.

Offline Jossalin

• Female Chat
  • Nude with Towel
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2010, 04:00:24 pm »
Sure, I agree with you on this, but what I wanted to say is that these shows won't make me smarter or teach me any skills. It's just pointless entertainment, but that's nothing bad in my eyes.

True and think what you think. It is pointless entertainment, but this wasn't meant for people who relax every once in a while by watching TV.This was for those people who spend their whole lives watching TV like my older sister for example. She works and watches TV.Thats all she ever does, no going out with friends, no boyfriends, no social life. She's 21 and she's just fatting up missing life.This was for her.

Offline peteR

• N Forum Veteran
  • Nude without Towel
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2010, 04:44:57 pm »
I sleep like this Polyphasic sleep
You really adapted to this sleeping schedule? I'm impressed. I would like to sleep that way, too, but I think it's quite hard to get used to it.
and I try to make everything I do count.And all the music I listen to means something to me, I don't listen to pointless music such as little wayne and kesha with their pointless songs.
Ok, but that's quite subjective. Music that means something to you can be pointless noise to others, and it's about the same with various TV shows.
Watch whatever you pleased to, you have the freedom to do so.I just feel that way about TV I'm not forcing you to think how I think.
I have the freedom to disagree with what you said and express my disagreement, too. Now we know what each other thinks about the topic and that was the point, wasn't it?

Offline Jossalin

• Female Chat
  • Nude with Towel
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2010, 05:34:35 pm »
You really adapted to this sleeping schedule? I'm impressed. I would like to sleep that way, too, but I think it's quite hard to get used to it.
and I try to make everything I do count.And all the music I listen to means something to me, I don't listen to pointless music such as little wayne and kesha with their pointless songs.
Ok, but that's quite subjective. Music that means something to you can be pointless noise to others, and it's about the same with various TV shows.
Watch whatever you pleased to, you have the freedom to do so.I just feel that way about TV I'm not forcing you to think how I think.
I have the freedom to disagree with what you said and express my disagreement, too. Now we know what each other thinks about the topic and that was the point, wasn't it?

Thank you
very true
and yes

Dave

« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2010, 02:14:00 am »

Hey, it takes time.  I did it two summers ago, but sadly had to stop because of school.  The adjustment period was unbelievably tough (though a few well-placed science fiction shows helped me get through it), but it was worth every bit of adjustment ten times over.

Wolfboy

« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2010, 05:01:50 am »
Personally i rarely watch TV, all the things i want to see are available on dvd
And that way i can watch them without the annoying commercials every 15 minutes

Polyphasic sleep sounds familiar...
I think i slept like that during school time

Offline Delta

• Administrator
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • For SCIENCE!
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2010, 01:11:38 pm »
Technically, polyphasic sleep is everything beyond the standard monophasic one, but a biphasic pattern (slightly shortened night in exchange for some sleep in the day) is fairly common even for those not adapted to strange patterns, so it usually "does not count". Biphasic is a must for me on school/uni days, though.

Speaking of sci-fi, I wonder why I have never seen patterns like this in those shows.
Please send me a message on the forum before contacting me over IM. For best results, also mention what you want to talk about, I am not much of a smalltalker.