Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: The Social Network  (Read 2157 times)

Offline Luke M

• Nude with Towel
  • Referrals: 0
The Social Network
« on: October 04, 2010, 12:56:29 am »
Anyone check it out?

Really good, fascinating movie. Highly recommended.

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 5
Re: The Social Network
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 02:42:52 am »
The funny thing about the movie is that lots of the actors have no Facebook account because they understand nothing about computers.
"Politics is an ocean of toes" - Jacques Parizeau (1930-2015, RIP)

Arsonist

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 04:32:30 am »
I'm hesitant to see it just because the previews I've seen don't really give away much of anything. I mean I get the main story line but other than that, there's not too much. I'll probably just end up downloading it later on so I won't spend $20 on a movie I might not like.

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 04:47:03 am »
I'm hesitant to see it just because the previews I've seen don't really give away much of anything. I mean I get the main story line but other than that, there's not too much. I'll probably just end up downloading it later on so I won't spend $20 on a movie I might not like.

I'm aware of what the real story is and it's not very interesting so I wouldn't spend money to see it in a theater either.

Offline brandon

• N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Texas
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 05:28:37 am »
I heard a review claiming that it may be the best movie of the year. Still, I'm not sure it's worth rushing to a theater when I will probably be able to rent the DVD for $1 in a month or two.

I typically just watch movies in theaters if they have great cinematography or special effects or will be hard to find on DVD.
We have it in our power to begin the world over again.  -Thomas Paine

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 05:31:15 am »
I heard a review claiming that it may be the best movie of the year. Still, I'm not sure it's worth rushing to a theater when I will probably be able to rent the DVD for $1 in a month or two.

If it's a good movie then either the makers of this film are very talented or it's "based on a true story".

Offline brandon

• N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Texas
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 03:31:21 pm »
It should be considered as loosely based on a true story, but various aspects/details are fictional.
We have it in our power to begin the world over again.  -Thomas Paine

Offline Fitz1980

• Shouting it out loud
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 05:02:56 pm »
I've heard that from the standpoint of a human drama with Aaron Sorkin's trademark rapid fire dialogue it's great entertainment.  From the POV of telling the true story of the founders of Facebook it's about as historically accurate as Oliver Stone's "JFK" or an "Indiana Jones" film.

The biggest complaint I've heard is that it transforms Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg from a bright kid with a brilliant business idea that took off into a borderline autistic-savant/genus who's lack of acceptance in the real world caused him to create a virtual world to network with people.

My biggest curiosity is how they handle the genesis of the idea.  Facebook didn't come completely out of left field.  Myspace was launched the previous year & Friendster a year before that.  If you want to include things like Hot or Not (2000) & Yahoo Personals which were more straight-up dating sites than over all networking.  My point is that Facebook was the most successful use of this business model (yet) but they were not the first.

I'll probably go see it but the biggest concern that I've heard is that it turns computer people into "the other" a type of person who's not quite normal compared to everyone else.

Offline Luke M

• Nude with Towel
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 10:48:23 pm »
I've heard that from the standpoint of a human drama with Aaron Sorkin's trademark rapid fire dialogue it's great entertainment.  From the POV of telling the true story of the founders of Facebook it's about as historically accurate as Oliver Stone's "JFK" or an "Indiana Jones" film.

The biggest complaint I've heard is that it transforms Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg from a bright kid with a brilliant business idea that took off into a borderline autistic-savant/genus who's lack of acceptance in the real world caused him to create a virtual world to network with people.

My biggest curiosity is how they handle the genesis of the idea.  Facebook didn't come completely out of left field.  Myspace was launched the previous year & Friendster a year before that.  If you want to include things like Hot or Not (2000) & Yahoo Personals which were more straight-up dating sites than over all networking.  My point is that Facebook was the most successful use of this business model (yet) but they were not the first.

I'll probably go see it but the biggest concern that I've heard is that it turns computer people into "the other" a type of person who's not quite normal compared to everyone else.

To answer a few points, they don't portray him as savant. He doesn't have good social skills but it was never portrayed as him creating a virtual world to hide away from people. Myspace and Friendster were both mentioned in the film.

Yes, you're right about the rapid fire dialogue. It moves at break neck speed despite having no action in the film. I think it's one of the best movies of the year -- but that's not saying much.

Offline peteR

• N Forum Veteran
  • Nude without Towel
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 12:49:20 pm »
I watched the movie last night (44th night at the cinema for me this year  :786 ) and have to say it was much better than I had expected. There were some really funny scenes ("How should I know you shouldn't feed chicken nuggets to a chicken?!"), although the movie was 2 hours long it never got really boring and I even kind of liked the character Zuckerberg. It probably wasn't the best movie of the year (there was some good stuff like Inception) but it's worth watching.

Offline nudetotheworld

• N Forum Veteran
  • Nude without Towel
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2018, 01:23:03 am »
This film in my opinion is definitely a film that will, I believe over time, be a film that represents a turning point in technological development in history.