Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Dying for something to do!!!  (Read 2597 times)

Offline didiosa1980

• Nude with Towel
  • If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'.
  • Referrals: 0
Dying for something to do!!!
« on: October 13, 2010, 02:01:09 am »
So being a part-time teacher with too much time on her hands, I have this huge urge to actually do something with my time. Yea I could get a second job and I've already put in some offers on that, but I was thinking more of a hobby. I know how to write, do some art, and work with seed beads in making things. I do some yoga occasionally and get my general workout carrying things and walking during classes. I have this urge to want to know how to knit and make my own clothes. Sadly those two things cost money which I don't really have, so I was trying to figure out an idea that I could do either in the morning or in the afternoon that doesn't cost too much money (if anything). I can't really jog cause my foot doesn't work for that anymore, but walking is okay sometimes.

Any suggestions?  :56789
Neither a woman as a woman, nor a man as a man, has any special function, but the gifts of nature are equally diffused in both sexes; all the pursuits of man are the pursuits of women also, and in all of them a woman is only a weaker man. --Plato

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 5
Re: Dying for something to do!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 02:09:46 am »
What about writing a book?

And if you like it, it's now very easy to self-publish at no cost to yourself.
"Politics is an ocean of toes" - Jacques Parizeau (1930-2015, RIP)

Wolfboy

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 02:55:26 am »
Given that you know how to write and do some art i think writing a book is a good suggestion
Or maybe you can volunteer at a care center (like helping handicapped children, rescued animals, ...)

Offline didiosa1980

• Nude with Towel
  • If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'.
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 04:21:23 am »
I had considered volunteering my time at the Humane Society to help with the cats and dogs, but then I remembered that the in-laws cat has HIV and it can be spread to the other cats in the center. Last thing I want to do there. >_<;;

I actually have written a substantial fiction "novel" and do have some chapters to finish rereading and editing. Sadly, I'm about 3/4 of the way done and then that's it. I can't publish it because it's just a fan fiction novel and part of the point is the characters I used which is entwined with my own characters. I have one that I forsook years ago, but I don't remember a whole lot of how that plot went.

Anyone ever tried to learn how to knit? The mother-in-law knows and I know she'd give me the needles and yarn to start with, but I would like my own after a while. What about the clothes thing? I know there's a lot that goes into making it but I don't know what would be the best medium to use. Any ideas on that?
Neither a woman as a woman, nor a man as a man, has any special function, but the gifts of nature are equally diffused in both sexes; all the pursuits of man are the pursuits of women also, and in all of them a woman is only a weaker man. --Plato

Wolfboy

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 01:20:06 pm »
My girlfriend sometimes makes her own clothes, i shall ask her but i do not see her until next week so i hope you can wait that long

Nude_not_rude

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 03:48:08 pm »
Sounds like you are leaning toward knitting or making clothes which is a great idea. I can't imagine a pair of knitting needles costing too much and if you already have a sewing machine you're on your way. It is also great as you would be turning your back on the sweatshops used by some of the large brand names out there.

I also like the writing idea as you have a seem to have enjoyed it in the past and as Dan says you can publish some of your writings in the future and make money to do other stuff.

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 06:05:58 pm »
I also like the writing idea as you have a seem to have enjoyed it in the past and as Dan says you can publish some of your writings in the future and make money to do other stuff.

The great thing today is that you don't need a publisher thanks to print-on-demand. Basically, your books are printed as they are ordered so you don't need to shell out money for a large run and your books never have to be "out-of-print".

And even if you don't want to distribute it, you can privately send it to a print-on-demand company and make just one copy for you, it's always neat to have a physical copy of a book you wrote.

Stuart

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 06:13:11 pm »

The great thing today is that you don't need a publisher thanks to print-on-demand. Basically, your books are printed as they are ordered so you don't need to shell out money for a large run and your books never have to be "out-of-print".

And even if you don't want to distribute it, you can privately send it to a print-on-demand company and make just one copy for you, it's always neat to have a physical copy of a book you wrote.

We did that with Naked Munros - it worked very well!

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 06:23:45 pm »

Did you think about printing a calendar? Lulu offers it and others probably do.

And here goes another hobby idea: photography.

Stuart

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 06:25:43 pm »

Did you think about printing a calendar? Lulu offers it and others probably do.

And here goes another hobby idea: photography.

We've done calendars before - Lulu are quite expensive for them though, the normal photo printers do it well enough.