Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Topless female hairdressers unveiled at Australian salon  (Read 20537 times)

Offline Fitz1980

• Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Topless female hairdressers unveiled at Australian salon
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 02:42:10 pm »
It's a business that's competing by utilizing beautiful topless women. The clients will almost certainly choose to go there based on the fact that they want to see real live boobs. In what way isn't that an "adult" business?

In some parts of Australia topfreedom is legal & you will see topless women on the beach or at the pool.  If the business was having girls cut hair in bikinis would that still make it an adult business?  How about Hooters restaurant?

Eric

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 03:11:09 pm »
In some parts of Australia topfreedom is legal & you will see topless women on the beach or at the pool.  If the business was having girls cut hair in bikinis would that still make it an adult business?  How about Hooters restaurant?

Hooters is pretty clearly an adult business. A good part of the thing that they're selling is visual titillation for the heterosexual male population. It's the same thing a strip club sells, except for you also get buffalo wings (or a haircut, in this case).

They're not trying to nudist values, body acceptance, or non-sexual nudity. They are using topless women for their sex appeal. Customers aren't going to walk away with a new attitude about simple nudity; instead it only reinforces the idea that the only reason for a woman to take her top off is to titillate men.

Offline Danee

• Read-Only
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 135
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2010, 03:25:37 pm »
Hooters is clearly not an adult business in the traditional sense of that term.  There are families, kids and sure, the name is implying and yes, its true but its about skimpy costumes and lousy food.  (in my opinion), but its all in fun and its not adult-business. 

Youth, beauty, sexuality is a key marketing thing and has been forever.  You make too much out of this.
Top-free Equality. Its a right, not a privilege!
http://www.freethenipple.com/

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2010, 05:05:34 pm »
Hooters is clearly not an adult business in the traditional sense of that term.  There are families, kids and sure, the name is implying and yes, its true but its about skimpy costumes and lousy food.  (in my opinion), but its all in fun and its not adult-business. 

I think your assessment of the food quality is quite objective. I ate there once and wouldn't go back.
"Politics is an ocean of toes" - Jacques Parizeau (1930-2015, RIP)

Eric

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2010, 08:33:17 pm »
Yeah - I think we can all agree that Hooters has some pretty awful food.

Offline chado

• Globetrotter
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Nude with Towel
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2010, 08:48:07 pm »
Sex Sells - that's part of the research I do for my master's thesis. Companies spend billions of dollars for their image - or let's say for the perceived personality of their brand. Often the value of the brand name exceeds the value of all other parts of the company. Imagine a company that is highly sucessfull producing high-technology products. What happens if they promote their products with "sex sells"? What are the impacts on single characteristics and what are the impacts on the whole brand? Is it just adding sexy attributes or is it cannibalising other attributes e.g. competence, reliability, etc.

One thing for sure, the barber tries to be special and has all attention. The only thing left is an adequate hairstyle for the money. :34567

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2010, 08:59:29 pm »
You should take a look at Evony, they noticed that increasing the sex-appeal in their ad always increased subscriptions.

Boobs = sales
"Politics is an ocean of toes" - Jacques Parizeau (1930-2015, RIP)

Offline Cabding

• Lord-Master of Vita Nuda Southeast
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Livin' la Vita Nuda!
  • Referrals: 9
    • Vita Nuda Southeast
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2010, 09:09:52 pm »
We all like to go nude, yes? Does that make what we do adult? The women would still be providing a service, won't be engaged in sexual activity and yes most if not all of the clients will go there just to see breasts.
Trying to unite the lost naked souls of the Southeast US. Message our Facebook page or PM me to get involved!

Offline Cabding

• Lord-Master of Vita Nuda Southeast
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Livin' la Vita Nuda!
  • Referrals: 9
    • Vita Nuda Southeast
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2010, 09:11:42 pm »
My point was allowing breasts to be seen might lead to normalization of nudity in some sense.
Trying to unite the lost naked souls of the Southeast US. Message our Facebook page or PM me to get involved!

Offline Steggsaurus

• Andy
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2010, 09:23:08 pm »
Yeah - I think we can all agree that Hooters has some pretty awful food.

i had a pretty good meal at Hooters for my friend's birthday this year!

Offline chado

• Globetrotter
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Nude with Towel
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2010, 09:48:39 pm »
My point was allowing breasts to be seen might lead to normalization of nudity in some sense.

True. I heard about a campaign in the states. Women claim the right to go topless as it's an act of equality. Well, I thought about that and I think it's right, but... (don't take the following lines too serious) At the time women began to walk upright the buttom was out of sight for men. That's why the bosom came into play. No other creature on earth features a bosom, only the female humans because they walk upright. Consequently the bosom is like a subsidiary of the buttom. Allowing breasts is just the first step, also the buttom must be allowed!  :Butt Shake:

Offline Dario Western

• Read-Only
  • Naturist Superhero
  • The one, The only (according to Google anyway!)
  • Referrals: 16
    • Dario Western's Page
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2010, 08:10:42 am »
I think that exploitment of the female body isn't right

You mean 'exploitation'?  Hey listen, it's been going on since the dawn of time ever since the original cave dwellers carved pictures of nude women on their cave walls.  As they say "if it works, use it.  If you can improve on it, use it".

As long as the women are being paid for their job and they are happy to do what they do, how are they being 'exploited'?  Would you say the same thing if they were made to be dressed for their job?  Although there are of course some instances, even in the workplace, where clothing is essential for practical needs than "modesty" (which really means order, not the fact you are nude or half-nude).

"How ridiculous society is! Why be given a body if you have to shut it away like a rare, rare fiddle?"

Offline Jann

• Free Range Naturist
  • Female Chat
  • Nude without Towel
  • I am nothing if not myself
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2010, 03:25:13 pm »
Topless female hairdressers unveiled at Australian salon -- business booms, but naturism takes a hit?

Is female toplessness "semi-nudity"?  I don't think so.  I think that it is just a matter of equal rights.  TERA http://www.tera.ca/ would, I'm confident, agree.

As for it being naturism, no, it is not.  Is it exploitation, yes, it is.  But is it exploitation of the women or of the men's prurient interest?  I submit that it is the latter, and I will bet that the men are paying a premium both in fees and in gratuities for this titilation.

If this salon cut women's hair I would be happy enough to patronize the place if I was allowed to be topless too.

Top-free and fearless  :423
Millions of years of evolution have combined to produce me. 
I'm rather hoping that I don't bugger it up in one lifetime.

Offline brandon

• N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Texas
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2010, 06:20:14 pm »
The whole point of the salon in the article may be, as Jann suggests, to titillate customers and garner larger tips.

But would topless hairstylists be practical in "regular" salon? Even though I don't think it is accurate to call a topless female semi-nude, I'm not sure how well toplessness would work in a "regular" salon.

I find that female hairstylists tend to lean against me occasionally as they cut my hair. It's just unavoidable, especially for a woman with large breasts. Working topless might therefore be a bit awkward for stylists in a "regular" salon. They might feel they have to stand back and work with their arms outstretched to avoid accidental contact. I'm not sure that would be the safest way to cut hair.

Even though a professional stylist might not personally have any issues with incidental breast contact, she might feel some customers would misinterpret such routine incidental contact.
We have it in our power to begin the world over again.  -Thomas Paine

genxnaturist

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2010, 11:00:30 pm »
All the topless hairdresses is is just gimmic, it does nothing to promote topless freedom.

By the way read post about topless coffee shops in seattle area, they are still popular.

Michael