Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Marching Bands  (Read 1913 times)

nudist18

Marching Bands
« on: October 27, 2010, 12:02:13 pm »
Well I am taking a step from the traditional stuff here, but what are your views on marching bands? Are you a fan of the activity? The shows that they do? Do you like the unique sound, and the combination of orchestrated music with theatrics? Do you find it to be overhyped, underhyped or even annoying? I'm interested in hearing the viewpoints of the consensus here, and possibly getting some insight on shows people have seen that were just amazing. Lets get this thread rolling!

Offline joeyn

• Umm...
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Me
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Marching Bands
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 12:54:39 pm »
Some of the theatrics are a little overbearing, however, I like the activity itself. Music outside is always fun.

:)

Joey

Wolfboy

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 03:14:39 pm »
The combination of orchestrated Music and theatrics they bring is always fun to watch and listen to (if they do not play out of tune like some of them here do )
I would not buy their Music if they would release it on cd (some of the marching bands here already did), not my kind of Music, but i certainly can appreciate them

Offline Bobbert

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 02:57:24 am »
Marching band is usually pretty fun.  It gets band music out of some concert hall and more accessible to the community.

Offline Historybuff83

• Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 05:22:45 am »
I did 4 years of marching band in high school, and marched 2 years of drum and bugle corps (DCI) after graduating, so one might accuse me of being a fan of the outdoor performing arts  :Butt Shake:  Sometimes the theatrics are a bit over the top, and even I would say that 80% of marching band and drum corps shows annoy and bore the piss out of me.  It is those remaining 20% that give me the corpsgasms I so enjoy  :34

Exhibit A:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKLb1cvwiQA#normal

Exhibit B:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl3RbhxtsgU#normal

Ok enough of my nerdness shining through ::runs off and hides in the corner::

little_man

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 04:43:28 am »
I enjoy marching bands if I'm watching a game.  I was in marching band in high school and HATED it.  Especially doing the Christmas parade... frozen fingers, frozen reeds, sweaty body from wearing a wool marching band uniform, an overlay, and hat.

I went to college at UW-Madison and loved their marching band shows.  Such precision and wall of sound.

Carl

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 07:04:09 pm »
I just participated in Wisconsin's State marching competition. It's always interesting to see the varriety of music selections and shapes. I'm with you on parade marching though, my fingers are still thawing out from last year.