Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Can hits destroy an artist's career: One hit wonders  (Read 3303 times)

Offline brandon

• N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Texas
  • Referrals: 5
Can hits destroy an artist's career: One hit wonders
« on: December 18, 2010, 05:43:20 pm »
Chris Blackwell, who founded Island Records fifty years ago, signed artists such as Bob Marley, Steve Winwood and U2.

In an interview, Blackwell remarked that Motown probably had 50 times as many hit singles as Island.

Blackwell said he emphasized artist development, viewing albums as the milestones in an artist's career: "You don't want to have a hit and have the artist destroyed because of the hit."

I had never really considered that before. We often hear about that in acting, that an actor can be typecast because of one specific role. Can a hit really destroy an artist? Does this explain some of the "one hit wonders" who had great success with one song early in their careers, but never developed their full potential?

We have it in our power to begin the world over again.  -Thomas Paine

Wolfboy

Re: Can hits destroy an artist's career: One hit wonders
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 08:49:37 pm »
I know bands who nobody heard of again after their one hit and bands who, after their one hit, are still very active
It depends from band to band (or artist to artist) differently

Offline brandon

• N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Texas
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 09:29:15 pm »
There was one group I read about, probably when I was assembling the 50s list, that had one hit. I've forgotten which group it was, but the article said that the group had a lot of other songs, but those were harder-edged than their hit song and didn't really appeal to a broad audience at that time.  I'll have to try to remember which group that was and check out their harder-edged songs.

Offline Dario Western

• Read-Only
  • Naturist Superhero
  • The one, The only (according to Google anyway!)
  • Referrals: 16
    • Dario Western's Page
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 01:18:36 am »
The first UK No.1 for Island Records was by a band that is largely considered a one-hit-wonder: The Buggles with "Video Killed The Radio Star".

I'm really disappointed in Island for signing up Justin Bieber as well as some other atrocities like that Dancing Baby craze.  Blackwell was previously not a man known for frivolity with music - he has signed other great artists to his label like U2, Sparks, Tom Jones, The Cranberries, Mika, Amy Winehouse, Pulp, Morrissey, McFly, Bon Jovi and other greats and now he's concentrating on the disposable teenybop market.

I wish Justin Bieber had been a one-hit-wonder - that song "Baby" with Ludacris was execrable!  :-(
"How ridiculous society is! Why be given a body if you have to shut it away like a rare, rare fiddle?"

Offline brandon

• N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Texas
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 02:40:57 am »
I'm really disappointed in Island for signing up Justin Bieber as well as some other atrocities like that Dancing Baby craze.  Blackwell was previously not a man known for frivolity with music - he has signed other great artists to his label like U2, Sparks, Tom Jones, The Cranberries, Mika, Amy Winehouse, Pulp, Morrissey, McFly, Bon Jovi and other greats and now he's concentrating on the disposable teenybop market.

Blackwell sold Island some years ago. I don't know if he has any role in current decisions.

I'm not so sure Justin Beiber is disposable. He could very well still be cranking out hits in ten years. I have heard it said that 18-22 is a difficult hurdle for male teen stars, because around 16, girls usually jump from obsession with teen idols to interest in male artists 22 and up. Not sure that is necessarily true.

escape

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 07:42:40 am »
I'm not so sure Justin Beiber is disposable. He could very well still be cranking out hits in ten years. I have heard it said that 18-22 is a difficult hurdle for male teen stars, because around 16, girls usually jump from obsession with teen idols to interest in male artists 22 and up. Not sure that is necessarily true.
Unfortunately, I think he could do. Guys like Bieber and awful boy bands end up with such a fanatical following, that as long as they don't do something really bad or split up, they can keep pushing out the same rubbish for years and these fans will buy it.

Offline Fitz1980

• Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 08:29:23 am »
I don't know if being a one hit wonder destroys an artists career.  Truth is that most artists never even have a single hit.  A one hit wonder has still had one more hit than most singers ever get.

Offline brandon

• N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Texas
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 03:52:55 pm »
Unfortunately, I think he could do.
I don't see why that is unfortunate unless you are forced to listen to Justin Beiber. If others enjoy listening to it, and it does you no harm, why should you care.

Some people take offense to nudity, but if we do not require them to partake in it, why should they care what we naturists do?

escape

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 05:04:52 pm »
I don't see why that is unfortunate unless you are forced to listen to Justin Beiber. If others enjoy listening to it, and it does you no harm, why should you care.

Oh no... I've become a music snob! But you're right, it's not unfortunate. I don't really care. I dislike a lot of music, but I also really like a lot. It's just a matter of taste.

Wolfboy

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 05:55:17 pm »
There was one group I read about, probably when I was assembling the 50s list, that had one hit. I've forgotten which group it was, but the article said that the group had a lot of other songs, but those were harder-edged than their hit song and didn't really appeal to a broad audience at that time.  I'll have to try to remember which group that was and check out their harder-edged songs.

Do you allready know what group it was?
If you want i can give you alot of examples of bands and artists who had one major hit but continued making Music and still beïng succesful

Offline brandon

• N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Texas
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 06:46:57 pm »
Still thinking, but not optimistic that I'll remember.

Offline Dario Western

• Read-Only
  • Naturist Superhero
  • The one, The only (according to Google anyway!)
  • Referrals: 16
    • Dario Western's Page
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2010, 09:21:21 am »
Unfortunately, I think he could do.

Some people take offense to nudity, but if we do not require them to partake in it, why should they care what we naturists do?

That's why I am for free-range nudity whereby we can legally co-exist with textiles.  I don't particularly like seeing young fellas with Justin Bieber haircuts, but I tolerate them.  So why the double-standard?
"How ridiculous society is! Why be given a body if you have to shut it away like a rare, rare fiddle?"