Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Web Browsers: What's safe today?  (Read 521 times)

Offline Blu Bunny

• Female Chat
  • Nude with Towel
  • SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK! <3
  • Referrals: 0
    • My Deviantart Site
Web Browsers: What's safe today?
« on: June 16, 2009, 12:15:56 am »
For my first post, I'd like it to be about web browser safety. :3

It seems these days the security levels of a browser is constantly changing, just the way certain foods that were bad for you last year are good for you this year and will probably be bad for you again next year. To keep ourselves updated, this thread is for the latest browser trends. What are they saying to you? What browsers do you swear by? For those of you who don't really care, ya better start! :D!

Internet Explorer: The things I've heard about the IE browser has remained consistent year in and year out. It is by far the WORST browser you could use (despite the fact that it's the most popular browser in the world). It's high vulnerability to attacks is the main reason why it's so bad. It contains a feature called ActiveX that adds plugins and software that you need to view certain things. This allowed malicious software to sneak in and since Microsoft pretty much relies on internet explorer for main functions (viewing files), it can open a door to your computer's information. I've ready that their latest browser, IE7, now requires user verification before ActiveX downloads anything, which should help a little, but of course only time will tell.

Mozilla Firefox: This is becoming increasingly popular among the public. Nothing too big to worry about with this since it's a "stand-alone" browser and doesn't need to tap into any main functions of your computer nor does it stay open after you've closed the browser the way IE does. I personally haven't had many problems with Firefox, but I will never make any claim that it or any other browser doesn't have any.

Opera: I use this more often now and it's following the rise . It has a nifty little blank page where you can bookmark 9 websites that you always visit everytime you get online so that when Opera opens up or when you open a new tab, it'll allow you to simply click on a favorite site rather than scroll through your bookmarks. Mozilla has something similar to this where you can save your favorite bookmarks to a toolbar that is always on your browser when it opens up. Either version is good. Just depends on what you like. For one person it could be inconvenient to have to open up a new tab to get to your favorites and for another it might be annoying to have an extra toolbar for your favorites since it cuts down on window space and you might have too many toolbars as it is. As for Opera's security, so far so good. It's relatively unpopular so not a lot of malicious software is targetting it quite yet.

Chrome: This is a brand new browser by Google. I don't know a whole lot about it yet save what they've got on their website, but it looks pretty cool and a friend of mine says since Google's such a safe search engine, he has high hopes for its browser.

Safari: This is the Apple equivilent to Firefox. And since I don't use Apple (more because I can't afford to XD) that is the extent of my knowledge, but I'll probably read up on it more in the near future.

Keep in mind, while the less a browser is known the less it is targetted for attack, it also means the less known the harder it is to view certain websites since some developers don't really have that browser in mind. Their aim is for the masses not the safest browser.

Also take note that I don't declare that I'm right about everything. I just read a lot and all this is summarized from what I've either read or experienced first hand. Anything I found out word of mouth, I read about to confirm it too so no worries there.

So feel free to post up anything else you'd like to add about web browsers. Even feel free to rebuttal what I've said about IE.

Some sites of interest:

Mozilla Firefox
Opera
Chrome
Safari
Safari Wiki Page
Why You Should Dump Internet Explorer
What's So Bad About Internet Explorer
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 12:33:20 am by cjkoneho »

Please visit my Deviant Art Page

Stuart

Re: Web Browsers: What's safe today?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 10:28:35 am »
I use Opera. Although it does something strange to the top of this site, its otherwise an excellent and fast browser.

Offline joeyn

• Umm...
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Me
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 04:20:04 pm »
I like Chrome. There is very little that actually appears on the top of your screen, freeing up space for browsing; basically just the tab and address bars.

Joey

Offline Blu Bunny

• Female Chat
  • Nude with Towel
    • My Deviantart Site
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 04:42:14 pm »
I use Opera. Although it does something strange to the top of this site, its otherwise an excellent and fast browser.

Is it like left over code? I get that too. Probably a fine example of how it can be hard to view websites that were made with the more popular browsers in mind. But save for the minor coding errors here and there, I definitely agree. It's pretty fast and I certainly enjoy it. ^^

I like Chrome. There is very little that actually appears on the top of your screen, freeing up space for browsing; basically just the tab and address bars.

Joey

Yeah I saw that. I'm gonna download it here in a minute to give it a try. I asked a friend I went to see last night about it and he said he tried it the first week it came out and it still needs a bit more kinks worked out of it plus he's waiting to see how its peer reviews come out as far as security, he's thinking it has a lot of potential. He's holding off using it as his main browser for another six months or so. We'll see how it works out for me. The videos definitley made it look pretty nifty though. ^^

Offline joeyn

• Umm...
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Me
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 05:06:55 pm »
chrome definitely meets my browsing needs
Joey

Offline Blu Bunny

• Female Chat
  • Nude with Towel
    • My Deviantart Site
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 05:08:43 pm »
Joey

Yeah, so far so good. I definitely like how there's not a lot going on up at the top save the necessities. Makes my browsing space feel a lot more roomier :3

Offline joeyn

• Umm...
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Me
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 05:22:57 pm »
Joey

Yeah, so far so good. I definitely like how there's not a lot going on up at the top save the necessities. Makes my browsing space feel a lot more roomier :3

Yes, roominess is good. Especially until I get a bigger monitor

:)

Offline Blu Bunny

• Female Chat
  • Nude with Towel
    • My Deviantart Site
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 05:28:34 pm »
Yes, roominess is good. Especially until I get a bigger monitor

:)

AH! What I wouldn't give for a bigger monitor! I'm very very VERY slowly saving up for one though.

Offline Alex

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 10
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 06:01:38 pm »
I use Firefox. I don't see any need to try and mess around with Opera and Chrome or whatever. I don't think they'll be any real difference between them, and FF is one of the safest out there anyway, especially is you customise it right (yay for my addons!) And I wouldn't get Chrome anyway, I despise Google -.-
On an extended IYNO break... for now.

Offline Pisco

• Administrator
  • Nude without Towel
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 06:23:55 pm »
Hey Charlotte, this is a very good write up. I work with browsers every for a living as I am a software engineer. I do a lot of internet apps related work. Let me add one thing: from a developer point of view, IE is nothing more than a really bad joke. I recommend that all of you using IE switch to Firefox as soon as possible.

Safari, Chrome, Firefox and Opera are all very good, safe and easy to user browsers.

Personally I use Safari on my mac because it's very fast and standards compliant. At work I often use Firefox for development purposes.

Offline Blu Bunny

• Female Chat
  • Nude with Towel
    • My Deviantart Site
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 08:09:39 pm »
I use Firefox. I don't see any need to try and mess around with Opera and Chrome or whatever. I don't think they'll be any real difference between them, and FF is one of the safest out there anyway, especially is you customise it right (yay for my addons!) And I wouldn't get Chrome anyway, I despise Google -.-

Well, it's all about preference as far as choosing something outside of Firefox. They all have their own qualities I'm sure, but Firefox is definitely a good one especially if you know how to make it better. =p What don't you like about Google? I did a little reading on it and common reasons are because it's taking over the majority of the internet, all those ads they support, fairly poor technical support and arrogance. Personally I don't have a lot of problems with that. So long as they don't pop up and punch me in the face, I can ignore ads put on the side of sites and so far I haven't found a problem with companies taking over the majority. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's a problem, but I'm pretty big on if it works, use it. I'd rather not use a slightly lower quality version of something that I like just because it happens to be getting really popular. If I like how it works to my satisfaction, I figure I should use it.

However, I am always curious about other people's reasoning

Hey Charlotte, this is a very good write up. I work with browsers every for a living as I am a software engineer. I do a lot of internet apps related work. Let me add one thing: from a developer point of view, IE is nothing more than a really bad joke. I recommend that all of you using IE switch to Firefox as soon as possible.

Safari, Chrome, Firefox and Opera are all very good, safe and easy to user browsers.

Personally I use Safari on my mac because it's very fast and standards compliant. At work I often use Firefox for development purposes.

Hehehe, glad you liked it. ^^ Thanks for your input :D

Offline Danee

• Female Chat
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 133
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 02:32:35 am »
Yesterday, I added a cute photo icon to her main page on the forum, next to the description.  Guess whaty?  Charlotte, who I adore, cannot see it!  Why? Because she uses some other browser!   :89 :909
Top-free Equality. Its a right, not a privilege!
http://www.freethenipple.com/

Offline Blu Bunny

• Female Chat
  • Nude with Towel
    • My Deviantart Site
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 05:00:57 am »
Yesterday, I added a cute photo icon to her main page on the forum, next to the description.  Guess whaty?  Charlotte, who I adore, cannot see it!  Why? Because she uses some other browser!   :89 :909

And that's what happens when you use IE7 XD

Firefox for me, with NoScript and AdBlock Plus installed for add-ons...... does just fine for my needs.....

Yep. Firefox is generally one of the better browsers to use because not only is it safe, but it's also getting pretty popular so not too many code errors there. ^^

Nude_not_rude

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 10:04:04 am »
Well I use Firefox and Safari on my Mac. Love them both. Firefox works better on this site though.

Offline joeyn

• Umm...
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Me
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 07:55:48 pm »
I use Firefox on my Mac.  It just seems to function more naturally for me and I like the security features.  I keep looking in on the Safari updates, but Firefox seems to stay a step ahead.

Firefox is cool, but sometimes it seems like you can overdose on add-ons.
 :54