Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Naked Munros  (Read 102872 times)

Stuart

Re: Naked Munros on DOMAI
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2009, 09:18:18 am »
Damn that looks cold! You guys are crazy and we love you for it. Thanks for that report.  :123456

It doesn't look cold enough!  :345678

Well yeah it's missing snow and stuff but still.....Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Sadly the cloud is so universal that you don't really notice the howling winds.

We have a good weather forecast and some time off in the next few days though, so here's hoping we have some good mountain days and avoid any more comical suffering!

ChristineH

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2009, 01:02:58 am »
I admire your dedication in such a cold climate.

Stuart

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2009, 08:47:10 am »
I admire your dedication in such a cold climate.

I just love doing it. When the weather's nice you can never be that cold, even in the mountains - there's too much exercise involved!

We climbed another on yesterday. It was very windy, like being in a wind tunnel, we were almost getting blown off our feet. My skin felt like it had been exfoliated afterwards!

Stuart

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2009, 11:01:24 pm »
3 hours of climbing in sweltering conditions surrounded by blood sucking flies and what do I see when we were about 150m from the summit?

Lightning, less than a kilometre away, and emerging from the cloud at roughly the height we were at.

We set a new record for running down a 60 degree heathery slope in intense rain...

Karla

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2009, 07:24:08 am »
3 hours of climbing in sweltering conditions surrounded by blood sucking flies and what do I see when we were about 150m from the summit?

Lightning, less than a kilometre away, and emerging from the cloud at roughly the height we were at.

We set a new record for running down a 60 degree heathery slope in intense rain...

I was trying to climb the entire mountain naked from beginning to end (starting after getting out of view of the car and away from the horse flies)

Normally if we do any nude hiking we do it on the way down once we have warmed up, but it was just too humid by Scottish standards.

It all transpired against me at once. First we spotted a small shower approaching and I had to figure out whether it would hit us and if so, whether I would get too cold. Then we saw other climbers in the distance so that was the question settled, I had to get dressed. As I did so, we realised that it wasn't an isolated showed, it was a massive thunderstorm approaching from behind the hill.

By the time we got back to the car we were utterly soaked to the skin despite water proofs. In hindsight, it would have been better to stay naked in the rain so I had something nice and dry to change into afterwards. It really showed me how wet clothes are far worse than being naked in torrential rain as they cling to your skin.

Another thing I learnt was that my rucksack was very unflattering when worn nude!

Nude_not_rude

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2009, 01:57:04 pm »
Wow Stuart and Karla, that really sounded like fun. Wish I was there.....lol

Offline rebecca

• Female Chat
  • Casually Dressed
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2009, 10:27:30 pm »
Wow, first of all I didn't know that you guys were the naked Munros, seccond I am star struck that I share the same forum as you. I only hope that you guys start reposting again and that we all hear about your activities for years to come.
Bex

Stuart

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2009, 10:02:24 pm »
Wow, first of all I didn't know that you guys were the naked Munros, seccond I am star struck that I share the same forum as you. I only hope that you guys start reposting again and that we all hear about your activities for years to come.

Well, if you're going to say such nice things, how can we refuse you!

Here's a couple of pictures from our ascent today of Sgor Gaoith in the Cairngorms. The Cairngorms have a bit of a repuation of being wild and dangerous, even in summer, but we're in the middle of a heatwave, so the peat bogs had dried up and the skies were clear. The summit itself was a pointy little thing as Cairngorm mountains go (they're mostly rounded domes or plateaus surrounded by huge cliffs) and it over looked a loch about 600m below. On the other side of the glen was Braeriach - the third highest mountain in Britain. A couple of pics are in the members section of the gallery (possibly still to be approved).

Offline TheSeane

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • I'm not an ambi-turner.
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2009, 03:18:10 am »
I just read the article.... That's very sad, the pictures are beautiful!  That is the quality of the Hasselblad, God I wish I owned one!!! 

Karla

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2009, 09:08:31 am »
I just read the article.... That's very sad, the pictures are beautiful!  That is the quality of the Hasselblad, God I wish I owned one!!! 

Thanks.

Our Hasselblad is certainly not new, we could never afford that. Thanks to the digital revolution the prices of secondhand Hasselblads have come down to match the cost of a digital SLR. Our Hasselblad was produced in 1975 ! I absolutely love using it because it is completely mechanical and brings back the pleasure of photography as a skill rather than the idea of just pointing, clicking and reeling off hundreds of photos and choosing the best.

The other advantage of buying old is that the lenses are also cheaper and that means I can buy more of them. The disadvantage is that they may need servicing, the cost of which basically matches the second hand price of them. Another disadvantage is that they are very heavy. I personally carry the 'blad on the hill and along with the lenses and all the accessories, it comes to about 8 kilograms.

Stuart

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2009, 09:30:45 am »

The pictures in article, and in the gallery, were mostly taken with a Sony A700 DSLR with Sigma EX lenses. The Hasselblad is even better than these!

Karla

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2009, 01:01:12 pm »
The pictures in article, and in the gallery, were mostly taken with a Sony A700 DSLR with Sigma EX lenses. The Hasselblad is even better than these!

I've just posted a photo taken using a Hasselblad in the members section of the gallery. After sifting through 35mm film or digital photos, medium format can seem very contrasty and dark but if you get the exposure exactly right you can sometimes get the most realistic representation, as if you could reach out and touch what you are seeing in the photo. I often think of medium format film and digital like comparing an oil painting with a water colour. Both have their own merits but the former is often more striking and holds the attention for longer. The latter is prettier and easier on the eye, useful for context shots.

Sorry if I getting too geeky with the photography :)

Offline Danee

• Retired Staff
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 135
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2009, 01:07:51 pm »

I've just posted a photo taken using a Hasselblad in the members section of the gallery. After sifting through 35mm film or digital photos, medium format can seem very contrasty and dark but if you get the exposure exactly right you can sometimes get the most realistic representation, as if you could reach out and touch what you are seeing in the photo. I often think of medium format film and digital like comparing an oil painting with a water colour. Both have their own merits but the former is often more striking and holds the attention for longer. The latter is prettier and easier on the eye, useful for context shots.

You are not getting too geeky!! You are educating and this photo, like all your others is spectacular Karla! 

My best to thickie by the way.  What a team in every way, you guys are. 

Love,

-D
Top-free Equality. Its a right, not a privilege!
http://www.freethenipple.com/

Offline TheSeane

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • I'm not an ambi-turner.
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2009, 01:26:58 pm »

You are not getting too geeky!! You are educating and this photo, like all your others is spectacular Karla! 

Love,

-D

Haha, yeah, no way!  I'm soaking this up.  I need another group of photographers on the forum that I can geek out with :-).  I just checked out the shot you posted in the members gallery.  Granted it's tough to really compare when you're looking at a photo online that is at most 72 dpi, but the clarity of the shots with the Hasselblad always stand out.  I'm not the most educated with film format but lord... the iso looks like it was set to 50 or 25 on that shot!  Just beautiful!

I'd be honored if you guys took a gander at my gallery :-).  Granted the rest of the site still needs to be finished but here it is www.SeaneWarzusan.com

Offline joeyn

• Umm...
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Me
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2009, 01:43:43 pm »

Love,

-D

Haha, yeah, no way!  I'm soaking this up.  I need another group of photographers on the forum that I can geek out with :-).  I just checked out the shot you posted in the members gallery.  Granted it's tough to really compare when you're looking at a photo online that is at most 72 dpi, but the clarity of the shots with the Hasselblad always stand out.  I'm not the most educated with film format but lord... the iso looks like it was set to 50 or 25 on that shot!  Just beautiful!

I'd be honored if you guys took a gander at my gallery :-).  Granted the rest of the site still needs to be finished but here it is www.SeaneWarzusan.com

I'm an amateur photog

I love your site. It's well put together.
And the photos are amazing. Can't wait to see the other galleries!

Joey