Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Naked Munros  (Read 102871 times)

Stuart

Re: Naked Munros on DOMAI
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2010, 01:21:37 pm »
Dreish & Mayar, two of the most easterly of the Munros were climbed yesterday. It was very hot down in the glens, but low summit temperatures & high winds made things absolutely bloody freezing! I may have babbled a little about this on other threads when I got home last night - exhaustion had me acting a little funny when I got back last night.

Not the most interesting of mountains terrain wise, mostly flat summits with steep sides, but an abundance of wildlife made it interesting. Ptarmigan, deer, golden eagles, mountain hares and invertebrate orgies (slugs, butterflies, mozzies, they were all at it!) were seen throughout the day.

My excessive weight gain during the brutal winter just past seems to be finally reversing itself though. I'm still a bit tubby, but these mountains seem to be taking an inch off my waist each time.

Stuart

« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2010, 11:59:35 pm »
And another successful day bagging! We could be on a roll here. We climbed Beinn a' Chroin, it was a tough, hot day, but after skinny dipping in a rock pool we were well cooled down to start the long, steep ascent. Lots of 60-70 degree slopes of boulders & grass, not the easiest of days. I was very happy to get to the summit, as the picture in the gallery from today shows.

Stuart

« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2010, 07:27:59 pm »
Here's a .kmz file for google earth from yesterdays trip - it has photos now at some different points, just click on the landmarks to get them.

Stuart

« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2010, 11:34:43 pm »
We went climbing today, but it was just too hot, so it was lucky we chose a mountain with wonderful rock pools to skinny dip in. There's a couple of pics in the gallery.

Offline Bobbert

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #79 on: June 11, 2010, 01:26:42 am »
You two seem to go hiking pretty often.  How far do you have to drive on average to get to your munros?

Stuart

« Reply #80 on: June 11, 2010, 10:18:33 am »
You two seem to go hiking pretty often.  How far do you have to drive on average to get to your munros?

The closest Munro is within walking distance, but we usually drive an hour or so.

vikingguy

« Reply #81 on: July 19, 2010, 02:16:24 pm »
A sad story, but well done you for trying to create something so beautiful.

Stuart

« Reply #82 on: July 19, 2010, 05:06:00 pm »

Oh, don't worry, we're still at it  :65

Karla

« Reply #83 on: July 19, 2010, 05:09:36 pm »

Oh, don't worry, we're still at it  :65

When it's not raining ...

Stuart

« Reply #84 on: August 08, 2010, 04:45:32 pm »
Yay! The drought has ended. Ben Lawers, the 10th highest mountain in Britain, and one of the busiest, was bagged today. It took a 7am guerrilla raid after camping at the base of it to bag it without being busted, but we had a few close calls, as some keen and very fit people almost caught us up at just the wrong moment!

Closest yet we've been to being busted  :345678

The walk down was most satisfying, passing dozens of people on their way up and looking very smug  :66664333

Pics are in the gallery.

Offline Ed

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #85 on: August 08, 2010, 05:05:39 pm »
Ohohoho, much respect :P

Awesome pictures as well :)

Offline Pisco

• Administrator
  • Nude without Towel
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #86 on: August 08, 2010, 07:30:32 pm »
 :432 Thanks for sharing!!!

Stuart

« Reply #87 on: August 08, 2010, 07:33:39 pm »
:432 Thanks for sharing!!!

Its a pleasure sharing them with like minded people.

Stuart

« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2010, 09:39:20 pm »
Beinn Alligin, an especially tough and scary mountain in a region of Scotland known as Torridon was climbed yesterday. We're exhausted, and ache like crazy! There was a lot of tough scrambling over scary drops of several thousand feet, but we made it, finally coming off the mountain in the dark. I'll get some pics in the gallery tomorrow.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 09:46:08 pm by Stuart »

Stuart

« Reply #89 on: August 17, 2010, 12:12:08 am »
Ok, some pictures are in the gallery. I'll maybe do another Google Earth trace at some point.