Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: D&D  (Read 10524 times)

Offline Geomance

• Casually Dressed
  • Referrals: 0
Re: D&D
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 02:16:45 pm »
While I'm not much of a D&D fan, I did play Magic The Gathering back in high school. Had a killer red (spells) and white (holy magic/protection magic) deck that was near invincible  :543

Offline Werdna0

• Casually Dressed
  • I'm the kind of guy who Only has fun!
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 06:43:43 am »
i used to play DND but i got kicked out due to low availability, im sour about this, but i forgave them, it was one of the best experiences ive had with a game, which is hard to top

Offline Advent

• Nude with Towel
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2012, 06:57:43 am »
I haven't played in a couple years. I was invited to a Skype game this summer that just hasn't seemed to pan out. I'd love to play a few games but the fact that the time committments always seem to be Friday or Saturday just kills it for me.

When I was in college I had several people ask me to join my game, and my answer to most of them was 'yes, so long as it's not agriday or Saturday night. I want a real life, too'. That meant I never got to play :-(

If somebody wanted to start a Tuesday through Thursday game over the 'net I'd be down in a heartbeat.

A few friends and I once had the idea to play a three-DM game. We'd be on a small island so we could actually try some of the shopkeeper rules and also so the players would never go far. We'd rotate DMs and each would also be playing against the others. Think of the band as mercenaries being paid by one of the three warlord DMs each week. However, all three DMs would also be in communication outside the game to ensure it ways always an equal field so we could all have some fun. We put a lot of effort into getting it all set up and ready to play but come the next semester, when it was scheduled to start, we just couldn't work the scheduling.
The last three days, the rain was unstoppable. It was always cold, no sunshine.

Offline Werdna0

• Casually Dressed
  • I'm the kind of guy who Only has fun!
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2012, 07:05:50 am »
that sounds really hard, i'd have trouble with 2 DM's, it's like having 3 lords to 1 herd of sheep, they'd all want separate things for the sheep and become divided, or end up repeating over and over... sounds like an interesting game though!

Online Delta

• Administrator
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • For SCIENCE!
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012, 07:24:52 am »
'yes, so long as it's not agriday or Saturday night. I want a real life, too'. That meant I never got to play :-(
Well, it is the preferred time for social gatherings, and playing games together is a preferred type of social gathering for many people into this. Social life need not mean party every week.
Please send me a message on the forum before contacting me over IM. For best results, also mention what you want to talk about, I am not much of a smalltalker.

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2012, 07:39:53 am »
I love RPGs but I have a strong dislike of the D20 system and any RPG based on it.
"Politics is an ocean of toes" - Jacques Parizeau (1930-2015, RIP)

Offline Advent

• Nude with Towel
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2012, 08:58:25 am »
Well, it is the preferred time for social gatherings, and playing games together is a preferred type of social gathering for many people into this. Social life need not mean party every week.

I'm not arguing that, but committing oneself to the same thing every week means you're much less available to do something with other friends. I don't want to feel like I'm letting down people just because I went camping, want to go on a date or have some other social engagement.

I stopped by quite often and played disposable characters but I would have been severely handicapped had I tried to keep up with the group without being at every game.

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2012, 04:56:49 pm »

I stopped by quite often and played disposable characters but I would have been severely handicapped had I tried to keep up with the group without being at every game.

I'm planning a monthly campaign, this seems more reasonable and manageable.

Offline Advent

• Nude with Towel
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2012, 07:08:20 pm »
One meeting a month? That would be a very good compromise and would allow a DM plenty of time to do things right!

Malachite

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2013, 07:49:28 pm »
I DM 3.5 ED, when I can. I find, however, people's schedules often slip, and too much of this ends up causing people to lose interest. Typically, I do highly involved, but flexible story lines, and focus upon the role playing rather than the rules, tweaking them as need be, and sometimes adding things so that it will make sense. I find that anything less flexible tends to either end in fire or worse.

Offline Gman707

• always up for a chat
  • Naturist Superhero
  • happiness is a state of dress.
    • fresh direction
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2013, 10:14:43 am »
Im in a role  play group that is currently playing a savage worlds campaign.  Its a good system but our Gm and his wife are mega serious with it. For me part of role pl is the social aspect. I like to chat with my mates and do a bit of gaming at the same time but as soon as one of us starts to chat we get tolsd off.  It kinda makes me want to leave the group.
what's to say?

nerdynudist

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2013, 09:43:15 pm »
I've DMed about 5 campaigns in total and it was always fucking great. Me and my friends have been doing it forever since we were like 12 haha we try to play about twice a month, we used to do it a lot more but jobs have made it so a lot of my friends can't do it as often. But yeah the game holds a lot of fond memories for me

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2013, 11:08:14 pm »
Im in a role  play group that is currently playing a savage worlds campaign.  Its a good system but our Gm and his wife are mega serious with it. For me part of role pl is the social aspect. I like to chat with my mates and do a bit of gaming at the same time but as soon as one of us starts to chat we get tolsd off.  It kinda makes me want to leave the group.

You probably should either respect the group or leave.

Edit:

To expend on the above, there are various styles of play and various goals and they're all okay as long as you all are on the same page. However, the GM puts more time and energy than you in making it possible and thus, gets to be the arbiter of what is or isn't acceptable behaviour. Of course there's place for discussion but if you don't agree his word is law.

Of course, it's quite likely your viewpoints are incompatible. In that case you leave before wasting your time and his.

But what you do is extremely disrespectful and you should stop.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 11:11:56 pm by Dan »

Offline Paul

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • I go nude every day, cuz baby, I was born this way
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2013, 11:36:59 pm »
I usually join the local Wednesday Night Encounters group for D&D.  We were running 4th edition, though at the moment we're running the new D&D Play Test.
Slaínte,

Paul

Riot.EXE

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2013, 09:01:27 am »
This is how I play Dungeons and Dragons...