Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: My Faith in the Grammys restored  (Read 2567 times)

Offline brandon

• N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Texas
  • Referrals: 5
My Faith in the Grammys restored
« on: February 14, 2011, 04:25:27 am »
Arcade Fire won Album of the Year for The Suburbs.

We have it in our power to begin the world over again.  -Thomas Paine

Offline gbanude

• Read-Only
  • Nude without Towel
  • "Just lookin' for chatty naturists!"
  • Referrals: 2
Re: My Faith in the Grammys restored
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 02:37:04 pm »
Arcade Fire won Album of the Year for The Suburbs.

I just heard some of that recently and I liked it as well! I did not watch the Grammys. How was it?
"We are more to be pitied than blamed..."

Offline brandon

• N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Texas
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 05:52:24 pm »
The Grammys are what they are. The music that I listen to the most (indie, alternative and singer-songwriter) isn't really the mainstream of the music industry, so I don't expect my favorites to be well-represented in the nominations or chosen as winners.

Given those realistic expectations, I have to say that the Grammys were fairly decent this year. I wasn't disgusted by the picks. I was happy that Muse won Best Rock Album, although I was sad that Neil Young didn't win in that category since he is one of the greatest artists in rock history, but has very little to show for it as far as Grammys go. He did win Best Rock Song this year. (Last year, "Neil Young Archives Vol. 1 (1963-1972)" won a Grammy for "Best art direction on a boxed or special limited edition package," but in his half-century career, this year's Best Rock Song award was Neil Young's first win on the strength of his songwriting and musical ability.)

While I might not pay to buy anything by Lady Gaga (Best Female Pop Vocal Performance), I don't mind her music, and I respect her ambition and accomplishments. I like the group Lady Antebellum (which won Record Of The Year, Song Of The Year, Best Country Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals, Best Country Album and Best Country Song.)

BTW, see #3 in David Letterman's Top 10 Biggest Grammy Surprises:

10. Lindsay Lohan seen leaving Staples Center with Grammy-shaped bulge in her jacket.
9. New music laws prohibit rhyming ladies with Mercedes.
8. Willie Nelson provided the Grammy show snacks.
7. Jay-Z revealed "Empire State of Mind" was really about Trenton, New Jersey.
6. The new category: best male or female traditional R&B urban alternative non classic latin performance by a duo or group with vocals.
5. In a touching ceremony, will.i.am adds a comma.
4. The Academy president finally explains the difference between record of the year and song of the year.
3. Lady Antebellum and Lady GaGa form supergroup, Lady Antegagum.
2. John Mayer caught in a passionate embrace with Susan Boyle.
1. Justin Bieber. Hairpiece.

Jazz bassist and singer Esperanza Spalding was an interesting pick for Best New Artist.

One can criticize the number of awards by music category. There are seven Gospel Music and seven Country Music categories. While Gospel and Country were once very important in American music, does it really make sense to have seven Gospel and seven Country awards, but only one Alternative Music award?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 05:54:10 pm by brandon »
We have it in our power to begin the world over again.  -Thomas Paine

Wolfboy

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 07:19:52 pm »
Music awards never meant much to me, I mean, there are some many talented and undiscovered bands out there...
Bands who never received an award and bands who actually make much better Music then some of the winners of the (Grammy) awards
But then again, that a band like Arcade Fire won the "album of the year" award is definitely a good thing

Stuart

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 08:44:19 pm »
Music awards never meant much to me,

Awards ceremonies of most kinds mean very little to me, especially music, film & TV. They all just seem to be a bunch of pathological narcissists with inflated ideas of their own importance.

rarivera

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 07:59:40 pm »
It was great to see a Berklee Grad (Esperanza Spalding) win best new artist. And the look on Bieber's face was priceless.  :63424

Offline bluetrain

• N Forum Veteran
  • Topless with bottoms
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 08:27:03 pm »
I don't watch grammies, but knowing that in some popular music prize Esperanza Spalding overthrew Bieber was a breathe of fresh air.
"Too many young folk have addition to superficial things and not enough conviction for substantial things like justice, truth and love."
- Cornel West

Offline Historybuff83

• Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 11:16:15 pm »
Music awards never meant much to me,

Awards ceremonies of most kinds mean very little to me, especially music, film & TV. They all just seem to be a bunch of pathological narcissists with inflated ideas of their own importance.

Couldn't agree more, hence I stopped watching awards shows years ago.