Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: thedoctorstv.com on nudism  (Read 1948 times)

Offline dmutah

• Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 5
thedoctorstv.com on nudism
« on: February 18, 2011, 10:36:34 pm »
Thought this site was interesting, it has several different videos on differents discussions that have been had here... This one is on nudism.
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/main/home_page?init_type=Feature&init_id=3669

Offline NaturalInNY

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 0
Re: thedoctorstv.com on nudism
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 12:20:07 am »
Nice to see such a positive and matter of fact discussion geared towards a mainstream audience. Hopefully this exposure (no pun intended, ok maybe a little) will make it less of a taboo and strange concept to some people.

However I wonder why there's a warning that it may be inappropriate for younger viewers.  :rolleyes: There's not even any actual nudity.

Also it seems to be a popular topic on the show. They have another video about nudity in front of your children. Dr. Ruth sees we "have to be careful" in today's society, which makes me wonder why things should be any different today than "the 60's" as she says. I always found it amusing how people are so convinced there was an era where "things were better/simpler" or some variation on that theme combined with spiels about how bad things are now. Sure, because of the digital age, you should be more concerned about others' access to your kids, but I don't see why that applies to casual nudity around the house, or why, in our enlightened modern era, we need to cover up more than we did in the past. A lot of it has to do with the media propagated hysteria about the body.

Nor do I understand her focus on "arousal" or why it can't be understood and accepted as just another part of the body and young boys can be told not to flaunt it. At least she seems ok with the practice of nudism and resorts in general. (she is a sex therapist though, so I can see why her mind would go there) And I don't get why that 3 to 5 year old age range was mentioned by that doctor. He said that kids become more aware of their bodies, but isn't that just part of growing up in general? Heck I was running around my backyard naked at that point. Didn't seem like a big deal to me.

One of the video commenters had a pretty open mind though which was encouraging. Like she said, we all have those body parts.

Also this put in text on the site seems absurd:

Dear Doctors,

Until my daughters were about 5 years old, we’d shower and bathe together regularly. Now, my son is currently 4 and still showers with me, but I can’t help but worry that this is somehow inappropriate. At what age should I stop bathing and/or being nude in front of my children?

"Just the fact that Mom is starting to wonder, it’s time," Dr. Jim says. "Age 2 and 3, no big deal. I think that’s when we stopped with our kids. In America, this is a very modest society. Most people are private with their privates. If your child is very comfortable having people naked around them, when they go to school, they’ll kind of think it’s fine to get naked and explore. That child is going to get in trouble."
I don't see why there's an arbitrary cut off age as long as the child isn't uncomfortable. Seems they're a little less open minded in regards to nudity by/around children than they are with it involving adults, but that's to be expected in this society. They say in the video that kids will go around saying their dad likes to walk around naked or whatever. And sure, kids can be little loudmouths, but as long as it's normal to them, I don't see why they would make it a big issue or talk about it much. I never brought it up, although I was aware it was a taboo. And the fact they think kids will just "get naked and explore" at school seems silly. They in general underestimate the ability of kids to understand when certain things are appropriate, but that goes along with how in the US, we talk down to kids, not with them.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 12:40:07 am by NaturalInNY »