Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Twilight: A girl's book ?? or not?  (Read 9121 times)

Offline Delta

• Administrator
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • For SCIENCE!
  • Referrals: 3
Re: Twilight: A girl's book ?? or not?
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2011, 08:13:34 pm »
Probably the romance. I do not know, I did not read it (personally, I would even prefer datasheets over romantic stories), but the portrayal of vampires has also been criticized. How are they being portrayed?
Please send me a message on the forum before contacting me over IM. For best results, also mention what you want to talk about, I am not much of a smalltalker.

Offline Delta

• Administrator
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • For SCIENCE!
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2011, 08:48:58 pm »
Well, as I have mentioned in Stuart's Zombie thread, there is a great variety in the portrayal of vampires' weakness to sunlight. Sometimes they crumble to dust the moment a sun ray hits them, sometimes it is just a bit of a burning sensation. But what about their personalities? I mean, vampires are popularly thought of as bloodthirsty royals (with Vlad Tepes and Erzebeth Bathory being the prime inspirations behind that aspect of vampire myths), how do the "girly ones" behave?
Please send me a message on the forum before contacting me over IM. For best results, also mention what you want to talk about, I am not much of a smalltalker.

Offline Delta

• Administrator
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • For SCIENCE!
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2011, 09:23:29 pm »
So the visual effect during sun exposure is everything people have been annoyed with?
Still, romantic stories are nothing for me.

jcs2010

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2011, 10:54:21 pm »
In my opinion the Vampire genre has been severely damaged by Twilight. Vampires are not meant to sparkle. Seriously these vampires look like they can be taken out if sneeze on them. Plus having read the books or what constitutes an actual book, i must say it was a story of sexist love which promoted nothing particularly inspiring from an intellectual or social stand point.

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2012, 02:03:48 am »
Seriously these vampires look like they can be taken out if sneeze on them.

Actually, they are immune to pretty much any form of damage and for all practical purposes invulnerable and immortal. Which in my humble opinion contribute to a shitty story.
"Politics is an ocean of toes" - Jacques Parizeau (1930-2015, RIP)

Offline capri2013

• Casually Dressed
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2012, 05:12:02 am »
Ok so like i have this major obsession with teen vampire novels. I would definitely say that twilight is for girls because every guy ik says that it's a stupid book that's too lovey dovey and too dramatic. I personally love twilight and i don't think guys could really get into it unless they were really sensitive or feminine in some sort of way.

Offline Asiam

• Casually Dressed
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2012, 05:14:22 am »
I think the question is whether Twilight is good enough to be considered a book...

Offline ClothesSuck

• N Forum Veteran
  • Topless with bottoms
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2012, 06:00:39 am »
I mean... I read the whole series and I rather enjoyed it. A girlfriend of mine forced me to read the first one and I thought I would hate it, but I ended up actually enjoying and finishing the series. I did, however, avoid reading them in public, haha.
But I will say this: the books are not too well written, but if you can ignore that, the story is pretty interesting. And so far, I've hated the movies. They are quite terrible.

Offline Asiam

• Casually Dressed
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2012, 06:32:33 am »
I'm not sure ignoring the fact that a book is horribly written is a good idea.

Offline ClothesSuck

• N Forum Veteran
  • Topless with bottoms
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2012, 02:08:16 pm »
I'm not sure ignoring the fact that a book is horribly written is a good idea.

I agree and I wish they were better written, but while they aren't necessarily novels of literary merit, they are still an enjoyable read.

Petrucio28

« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2012, 04:02:39 am »
I will admit that I've read the Twilight Saga, and to be perfectly frank, I really thought it was some of the worst novels I've read. Not because the novels were written badly as far as form or English, but the story really wasn't that good. There was the possibility of the books being alright, or even good, but that didn't happen.
In my opinion, of course.

Offline eagleday

• Nude without Towel
  • Nothing else but my skin
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2012, 04:58:51 pm »
I'm blessed with a girlfriend who despises the book, and even more the movie, and even more the actors/actresses. I don't think the book is written for all girls without exception. Meyer wrote this book for typical 'girls' in her mind (and perhaps lots of us think the same): cheesy, craving for being adored by lots of pretty boys, prom nites, saved by prince(s) charming, you name it. Sometimes we don't realize that there are different kinds of girls.

As for the fact that lots of people, including boys, are nailed to the book, I can't judge them for having sub-standard literary taste. It is a fact that industrialized, franchised pop-art like boy band is more 'acceptable' to market, and thus makes more money. But I can say that there are lots of teenage and even children novels which are written better.
“Everybody thinks they want freedom, but what they really want is order.” (Valin Hess)

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2012, 11:04:15 pm »
She didn't write for girls, she wrote for herself.
"Politics is an ocean of toes" - Jacques Parizeau (1930-2015, RIP)

Zeraf242

« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2012, 12:54:24 am »
I'm pretty sure that this is a girl book.

skaterchick98

« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2013, 09:17:49 pm »
i havent read any of the books so idk how closely the movies follow the books but based on the movies i would say that the first to movies (twilight and new moon) are chick flicks for sure but the other 3 (eclipse and breaking dawn part 1 and 2) are more action packed and i have a few male friends that love the series as a whole so in my opinion it's just a matter of what you like i dont like when people put labels on things  if you like it watch it