General Talk (primarily non-naturist) > Pitti's Book Club

Books: Digital or physical?

<< < (3/54) > >>

AElf:

--- Quote from: Dan on March 21, 2011, 01:51:25 pm ---Digital books are superior in all respects save being able to resell them and being available in libraries.

--- End quote ---

And they are oh so easy to read during a quiet day at the beach --- NOT!  You can't see the frickin screen without severe eye strain,  the batteries crap out, sand gets into the reader, or someone pinches it while you're having a swim.

AElf:

--- Quote from: Dan on March 21, 2011, 02:39:35 pm ---It is possible to give ebooks to others but it usually is copyright infringement. That said, if  you delete your own copy, you are morally spotless IMHO.

--- End quote ---

Your HO notwithstanding you are legally guilty of criminal copyright violation which can earn you a hefty fine and a jail term.

Dan:

--- Quote from: adls1989 on March 21, 2011, 03:02:56 pm ---I definitely prefer books to an e-book reader . I find it too strenuous to read anything continuously from a LCD display though I dont know how reading on the kindle feels like with its e-ink display .

Aadil

--- End quote ---

I don't consider LCD displays devices to be proper ebook readers. A proper reader with e-ink (like the Kindle) causes less eyestrain than paper because you can set the font to size most comfortable to you. I read from such a device 2 hours every day (daily commute) and I don't have any complaint about the display.

[/quote]
--- Quote from: AElf on March 21, 2011, 03:18:51 pm ---
--- Quote from: Dan on March 21, 2011, 02:39:35 pm ---It is possible to give ebooks to others but it usually is copyright infringement. That said, if  you delete your own copy, you are morally spotless IMHO.

--- End quote ---

Your HO notwithstanding you are legally guilty of criminal copyright violation which can earn you a hefty fine and a jail term.

--- End quote ---

You aren't guilty of copyright infringement if you delete your own copy as per the first sale doctrine. If you are in the US, you might be guilty of breaking the copy protection (as per the DMCA) but you are still morally clear of any wrongdoing.

Dan:

--- Quote from: naturallynude on March 21, 2011, 08:07:13 pm ---As nearly all my jobs that I've been involved over the years have involved actual physical books, I will have to say that on preference I would always prefer to curl up in bed lie down on the beach or just sitting on the sofa at home with the real thing. That being said I can see the benefit of the ebooks whether they be in Kindle or I-pad etc. They do save up space. The one problem I have is that I just don't feel the connection to a piece of electronica that a real thing. Plus they don't have that intoxicating booky smell to them. 

--- End quote ---

Ebooks are best for the beach (if there is no copy protection or if you cracked it) because you can just print a couple of pages and don't worry about damaging a book (I hate damaging books even if I never intend to read them again) or expensive electronics.

As far the book "feel", I understand the appeal but if it still matters when you are reading, your book isn't engaging enough ;)

AElf:

--- Quote from: Dan on March 21, 2011, 03:54:54 pm ---
--- Quote from: AElf on March 21, 2011, 03:18:51 pm ---
--- Quote from: Dan on March 21, 2011, 02:39:35 pm ---It is possible to give ebooks to others but it usually is copyright infringement. That said, if  you delete your own copy, you are morally spotless IMHO.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

You aren't guilty of copyright infringement if you delete your own copy as per the first sale doctrine. If you are in the US, you might be guilty of breaking the copy protection (as per the DMCA) but you are still morally clear of any wrongdoing.

--- End quote ---

Before anyone follows this bit of dodgy advice I suggest that you read very carefully the terms of sale and use for any e-book you are planning on sharing out to others.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version