General Talk (primarily non-naturist) > Pitti's Book Club

Books: Digital or physical?

<< < (2/54) > >>

Dan:

--- Quote from: AElf on March 21, 2011, 12:08:39 pm ---There are good and bad things about both formats.  My personal opinion is that the dead tree format is far superior in all respects save storage and transportation.  I really really really dislike reading digital books and I only do it under duress.

--- End quote ---

Digital books are searchable and linkable. Their font is the exact size you want. You can annotate them typing on your computer's keyboard and possibly lengthy notes will be linked to the exact passage they refer to which is a boon if you are doing research on a text. They are dirt cheap to buy and will be delivered to you in seconds. You can bookmark dozens of pages in them without having dozens of papers sticking out of them.

Digital books are superior in all respects save being able to resell them and being available in libraries.

genxnaturist:
I personaly prefer a book. I like book because its something you can feel and smell, likewise you dont need power to run it.  Also if you want to make notes and all that you can.  Likewise after you read it its easy to give to another person or take to used book store to get credit or exchange.

That said I also do like digital, reason being is I am on submarine, bringing  alot of books takes up space and weight I dont have so being able to hold thousands of books on such is nice.  By way we do have small library of actual books too

Michael

Dan:

--- Quote from: genxnaturist on March 21, 2011, 02:11:27 pm ---I personaly prefer a book. I like book because its something you can feel and smell, likewise you dont need power to run it.  Also if you want to make notes and all that you can.  Likewise after you read it its easy to give to another person or take to used book store to get credit or exchange.
--- End quote ---

You don't need much power to run a ebook reader, if you don't use wireless, you can charge it once per month. Notes are more convenient with an ebook because they stay with the book and don't take valuable space.

Credit and exchange isn't very relevant because what you will get back is less than the price difference between physical books and ebooks.

It is possible to give ebooks to others but it usually is copyright infringement. That said, if  you delete your own copy, you are morally spotless IMHO.

Pitti:
I would like to touch books, I will turn the pages. I don´t like digital books and that gives me a headache.

adls1989:

--- Quote from: Pitti on March 21, 2011, 02:47:33 pm ---I would like to touch books, I will turn the pages. I don´t like digital books and that gives me a headache.

--- End quote ---

I definitely prefer books to an e-book reader . I find it too strenuous to read anything continuously from a LCD display though I dont know how reading on the kindle feels like with its e-ink display .

Aadil

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version