Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Books: Digital or physical?  (Read 386975 times)

Offline Daft

• N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Referrals: 2
Books: Digital or physical?
« on: March 20, 2011, 04:46:58 pm »
Now that devices that Kindle, iPad, Galaxy Tab and other tablets are geting more and more common, and digital books are selling more and more too, are you migrating to this new environment?

Or do you still prefer somwthing physical, that you can hold in your hands?
A nova geração.

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 5
Re: Books: Digital or physical?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 05:40:24 pm »
Now that devices that Kindle, iPad, Galaxy Tab and other tablets are geting more and more common, and digital books are selling more and more too, are you migrating to this new environment?

I already did and I read a hell of a lot more with a kindle than I did with books.

I backup my books and strip off DRM though.
"Politics is an ocean of toes" - Jacques Parizeau (1930-2015, RIP)

taylor93

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 06:14:39 pm »
I tried to read an ebook once, every 3 minutes the page timed out and I had to go back through the main site to find my book again. Needless to say I didn't finish the book because it was frustrating.
Or do you still prefer somwthing physical, that you can hold in your hands?
Yes, I still prefer to have the actual book in hand. Then again I have never owned / tried a Kindle or iPad so...  :56789

beachboy

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 06:16:55 pm »
I got my wife a kindle for Christmas, she loves it! They're not good for the future of local bookshops but I guess local bookshops just have to evolve and adapt in a digital world!

Offline AElf

• Free range naked Færie Princess
  • Female Chat
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 12:08:39 pm »
There are good and bad things about both formats.  My personal opinion is that the dead tree format is far superior in all respects save storage and transportation.  I really really really dislike reading digital books and I only do it under duress.
"Mankind is a frigid and ashamed creature. If we cannot deal with the basics of nudity then how on earth are we to make it in the world?" Naked Imp

"Don't make me release my flying monkeys" Elphaba Thropp, the Wicked Witch of the West

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 01:51:25 pm »
There are good and bad things about both formats.  My personal opinion is that the dead tree format is far superior in all respects save storage and transportation.  I really really really dislike reading digital books and I only do it under duress.

Digital books are searchable and linkable. Their font is the exact size you want. You can annotate them typing on your computer's keyboard and possibly lengthy notes will be linked to the exact passage they refer to which is a boon if you are doing research on a text. They are dirt cheap to buy and will be delivered to you in seconds. You can bookmark dozens of pages in them without having dozens of papers sticking out of them.

Digital books are superior in all respects save being able to resell them and being available in libraries.

genxnaturist

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 02:11:27 pm »
I personaly prefer a book. I like book because its something you can feel and smell, likewise you dont need power to run it.  Also if you want to make notes and all that you can.  Likewise after you read it its easy to give to another person or take to used book store to get credit or exchange.

That said I also do like digital, reason being is I am on submarine, bringing  alot of books takes up space and weight I dont have so being able to hold thousands of books on such is nice.  By way we do have small library of actual books too

Michael

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 02:39:35 pm »
I personaly prefer a book. I like book because its something you can feel and smell, likewise you dont need power to run it.  Also if you want to make notes and all that you can.  Likewise after you read it its easy to give to another person or take to used book store to get credit or exchange.

You don't need much power to run a ebook reader, if you don't use wireless, you can charge it once per month. Notes are more convenient with an ebook because they stay with the book and don't take valuable space.

Credit and exchange isn't very relevant because what you will get back is less than the price difference between physical books and ebooks.

It is possible to give ebooks to others but it usually is copyright infringement. That said, if  you delete your own copy, you are morally spotless IMHO.

Offline Pitti

• Local Moderator
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Referrals: 8
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 02:47:33 pm »
I would like to touch books, I will turn the pages. I don´t like digital books and that gives me a headache.
"If war is the answer, then we ask the wrong questions."
(Wenn Krieg die Antwort ist, dann stellen wir die falschen Fragen)

Susan G. Komen

Offline adls1989

• Topless with bottoms
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 03:02:56 pm »
I would like to touch books, I will turn the pages. I don´t like digital books and that gives me a headache.

I definitely prefer books to an e-book reader . I find it too strenuous to read anything continuously from a LCD display though I dont know how reading on the kindle feels like with its e-ink display .

Aadil

Offline AElf

• Female Chat
  • Naturist Superhero
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 03:16:54 pm »
Digital books are superior in all respects save being able to resell them and being available in libraries.

And they are oh so easy to read during a quiet day at the beach --- NOT!  You can't see the frickin screen without severe eye strain,  the batteries crap out, sand gets into the reader, or someone pinches it while you're having a swim.
"Mankind is a frigid and ashamed creature. If we cannot deal with the basics of nudity then how on earth are we to make it in the world?" Naked Imp

"Don't make me release my flying monkeys" Elphaba Thropp, the Wicked Witch of the West

Offline AElf

• Female Chat
  • Naturist Superhero
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 03:18:51 pm »
It is possible to give ebooks to others but it usually is copyright infringement. That said, if  you delete your own copy, you are morally spotless IMHO.

Your HO notwithstanding you are legally guilty of criminal copyright violation which can earn you a hefty fine and a jail term.

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 03:54:54 pm »
I definitely prefer books to an e-book reader . I find it too strenuous to read anything continuously from a LCD display though I dont know how reading on the kindle feels like with its e-ink display .

Aadil

I don't consider LCD displays devices to be proper ebook readers. A proper reader with e-ink (like the Kindle) causes less eyestrain than paper because you can set the font to size most comfortable to you. I read from such a device 2 hours every day (daily commute) and I don't have any complaint about the display.

[/quote]

Your HO notwithstanding you are legally guilty of criminal copyright violation which can earn you a hefty fine and a jail term.

You aren't guilty of copyright infringement if you delete your own copy as per the first sale doctrine. If you are in the US, you might be guilty of breaking the copy protection (as per the DMCA) but you are still morally clear of any wrongdoing.

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 08:44:11 pm »
As nearly all my jobs that I've been involved over the years have involved actual physical books, I will have to say that on preference I would always prefer to curl up in bed lie down on the beach or just sitting on the sofa at home with the real thing. That being said I can see the benefit of the ebooks whether they be in Kindle or I-pad etc. They do save up space. The one problem I have is that I just don't feel the connection to a piece of electronica that a real thing. Plus they don't have that intoxicating booky smell to them. 

Ebooks are best for the beach (if there is no copy protection or if you cracked it) because you can just print a couple of pages and don't worry about damaging a book (I hate damaging books even if I never intend to read them again) or expensive electronics.

As far the book "feel", I understand the appeal but if it still matters when you are reading, your book isn't engaging enough ;)

Offline AElf

• Female Chat
  • Naturist Superhero
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 12:20:02 pm »
It is possible to give ebooks to others but it usually is copyright infringement. That said, if  you delete your own copy, you are morally spotless IMHO.

You aren't guilty of copyright infringement if you delete your own copy as per the first sale doctrine. If you are in the US, you might be guilty of breaking the copy protection (as per the DMCA) but you are still morally clear of any wrongdoing.

Before anyone follows this bit of dodgy advice I suggest that you read very carefully the terms of sale and use for any e-book you are planning on sharing out to others.