Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Books: Digital or physical?  (Read 387271 times)

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 5
Re: Books: Digital or physical?
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 01:10:06 pm »
Before anyone follows this bit of dodgy advice I suggest that you read very carefully the terms of sale and use for any e-book you are planning on sharing out to others.

Are you aware those aren't legally binding? Same as they can't slap a sticker on your physical books saying you are forbidden from reselling them.
"Politics is an ocean of toes" - Jacques Parizeau (1930-2015, RIP)

Offline AElf

• Free range naked Færie Princess
  • Female Chat
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2011, 02:57:41 pm »
Before anyone follows this bit of dodgy advice I suggest that you read very carefully the terms of sale and use for any e-book you are planning on sharing out to others.

Are you aware those aren't legally binding? Same as they can't slap a sticker on your physical books saying you are forbidden from reselling them.

I am aware that they constitute statements of intent which can be introduced into court to show that the purchaser was aware of the terms and conditions of sale and is therefore not acting in ignorance.  Then the law itself comes into play and copyright law is no longer a laughing matter.  As a Berne Convention signatory state Canada has copyright law that is quite draconian.  If you can afford the $25,000 and the jail term please feel free to present yourself as a test case.  In the meantime it is morally reprehensible to counsel others to break the law, their only defense being "Dan told me it was okay."
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 12:11:36 pm by AElf »
"Mankind is a frigid and ashamed creature. If we cannot deal with the basics of nudity then how on earth are we to make it in the world?" Naked Imp

"Don't make me release my flying monkeys" Elphaba Thropp, the Wicked Witch of the West

Offline King Pizza

• I'm too blessed to be dressed ><N>
  • Shouting it out loud
  • unstressed = undressed; no curse means no clothes
  • Referrals: 7
    • My Linktree
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 12:31:57 am »
I prefer printed rather than digital books because digital books require a device which I don't have and don't want to get due to the fact that I have an eReader on my palm phone; if it's compatible with that, I'm more likely to get it. However, printed books are easier to borrow; I can just walk into a library and check one out, rather than having to purchase a whole bunch of eBooks, which I often have no intention of reading more than once.   
John 8:32 Truth=freedom
><> (Christianity) + Naturism = ><N> Christian Naturist
"We must pray for the courage to endure the scorn of the sophisticated world"- Justice A. Scalia
Once we existed in colonies; now, we are free. ><N>
Proud to be an American Conservative Nudist

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2011, 12:55:43 am »
I prefer printed rather than digital books because digital books require a device which I don't have and don't want to get due to the fact that I have an eReader on my palm phone; if it's compatible with that, I'm more likely to get it.

Check out Calibre. It converts pretty much from any format to any other.

Offline brandon

• N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Texas
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2011, 12:22:56 pm »
tbh, I don't read that many books in any format. I just buy them and intend to read them. I have not yet bought a dedicated ebook device. One problem is that I like to read outside, and trees always seem to drop and drip things, so the screen might soon be a sticky mess.

I imagine a Kindle would be best in bright sunlight. Does anyone have experience with that?

Digital books are searchable and linkable. Their font is the exact size you want.

Those are all very important advantages, but the biggest for me would be the ability to Search With Google. With some books, it seems there are ten words per page I need to look up in the dictionary or research in Wikipedia.
We have it in our power to begin the world over again.  -Thomas Paine

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2011, 09:34:21 pm »
One problem is that I like to read outside, and trees always seem to drop and drip things, so the screen might soon be a sticky mess.

That's a weakness of expensive electronics. You also can't throw them against the wall when the text you read frustrates you. If your books turn tend to sticky messes, it wouldn't be a good idea to switch to an ebook reader. That said, you might want to look into just printing pages before going outside.

I imagine a Kindle would be best in bright sunlight. Does anyone have experience with that?[/url]

The Kindle's cover (which is optional but highly recommended if you don't wish to damage your device) comes with an integrated light which works quite well even when it's very dark. It takes it's power directly from the Kindle so no need to put a battery in it.

Those are all very important advantages, but the biggest for me would be the ability to Search With Google. With some books, it seems there are ten words per page I need to look up in the dictionary or research in Wikipedia.

That's something I love about the Kindle, it has an integrated dictionary so you just have to move the cursor to any word and you instantly get a definition. There's also a shortcut to search on Wikipedia and you get unlimited 3G for life (for an extra $50 when you buy the device).

Stuart

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2011, 11:21:02 pm »
You also can't throw them against the wall when the text you read frustrates you.

Is that a problem for you?!?

bourne13

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2011, 11:21:42 pm »
I  prefer a good old fashion book, you don’t have to hold it a certain way in good sunlight just to be able to see the screen and when you are out camping or hiking around no power is needed.

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2011, 11:50:09 pm »
You also can't throw them against the wall when the text you read frustrates you.

Is that a problem for you?!?

Not really, but I saw it reported as a downside by some authors who are apparently into reading things that greatly frustrate them.

Offline Jann

• Free Range Naturist
  • Female Chat
  • Nude without Towel
  • I am nothing if not myself
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2011, 11:37:29 am »
Printed books when reading for enjoyment . . . e-books for technical reference.
Millions of years of evolution have combined to produce me. 
I'm rather hoping that I don't bugger it up in one lifetime.

Offline adls1989

• Topless with bottoms
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2011, 12:00:56 pm »

:3145 . The find text feature comes in handy while searching for a particular text .

Aadil

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2011, 01:26:29 pm »

Funny, I do it the other way around.

It's easier to share physical books with coworkers.

Offline Jann

• Free Range Naturist
  • Female Chat
  • Nude without Towel
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2011, 01:34:47 pm »

Funny, I do it the other way around.

It's easier to share physical books with coworkers.

It is harder to carry a library whilst doing field work in coastal boreal bog and forest;  e-books are handy that way but they truly suck when reading for enjoyment.

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2011, 02:04:54 pm »
It is harder to carry a library whilst doing field work in coastal boreal bog and forest;  e-books are handy that way but they truly suck when reading for enjoyment.

Well, we found the difference between our uses, I work in an office environment where a library is a convenient way to share.

Why do you think ebooks suck when reading for enjoyment?

Offline Jann

• Free Range Naturist
  • Female Chat
  • Nude without Towel
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2011, 03:28:37 pm »

Well, we found the difference between our uses, I work in an office environment where a library is a convenient way to share.

Why do you think ebooks suck when reading for enjoyment?

Because they do. 

There is a certain tactile element involved in holding a real book that is entirely absent with e-book readers, just as there is a certain personal element within a manuscript that is absent from a printed book.  There is also a certain friendliness about real books that bunch of components lurking within a piece of plastic can never replicate.  These are things that if you don't "get it" already, you will never get it.  It is a matter of personal preference, pure and simple.