Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Anyone seen A Clockwork Orange?  (Read 4289 times)

jlaidler

Anyone seen A Clockwork Orange?
« on: March 23, 2011, 10:26:36 am »
I think it's one of the best films ever made.  In my opinion Kubrick's real masterpiece.  And Malcolm McDowell's greatest performance.  *hums Singing In The Rain*

Offline Daft

• N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Referrals: 2
Re: Anyone seen A Clockwork Orange?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 11:46:03 am »
A real masterpiece.
A nova geração.

jlaidler

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 05:39:59 pm »
Yes, I can no longer say hi in the normal way, and still say glazzies now and then.  And I see I'm still back down to one star.  Damn, two stars for barely and hour, and all because of putting a post in the wrong place, I am a newbie after all.

jlaidler

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 05:28:20 pm »
Oh yes, I'm well aware of that fact.  Personally, I prefer the films ending.  Alex is an incurable bastard.  Personally it doesn't make sense that while wandering around a shopping mall he finally "gets it."  He's a nasty character and rotten apple through and through, and most of us like him that way, for some unknown reason.  Granted Kubrick could have been lass nasty afterwards, but McDowel seemed to come around since in more recent interviews and statements he seems to be proud of the film.

Offline Luke M

• Nude with Towel
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 06:30:48 am »
Great film.

I always wanted one of those coffee tables from the milk bar Alex and his friends go to in the beginning.

I love Kubrick's films, it's hard for me to rank any as better than others. I will say that Barry Lyndon is my favorite though.

jlaidler

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 06:48:26 am »
HA HA HA HA HA!  You want one of those milk dispensers to go with that table?  Oh what a riot.  Anyway, that's still my favourite performance by Malcolm McDowell, though I REALLY loved him as Mr. Rourke in Fantasy Island back in '98.  I'm so pissed it was cancelled and it isn't on DVD or even video, grrrrrr.  At least I can get Daria.  La la laa la laaaa.

Offline 1Boy

• Topless with bottoms
  • The Modest Nudist
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 02:30:00 am »
A Clockwork Orange was a fantastically done film.  However, some of the strong depictions were really hard to take (the various violent rape scenes, namely).  The film is so good at what it set out to do that I never want to see it again.  Now that's masterful filmmaking!

Wolfboy

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 02:55:42 am »
Another reason why this film is a masterpiece: Electronica pioneer Wendy Carlos (on the movie credited as Waltor Carlos, having not yet undergone sex reassignment surger).
Her score for A Clockwork Orange is brilliant.
Also think of the creepy intro she made (together with Rachel Elkind) for Stanley Kubrick's other masterpiece The Shining.
Wendy Carlos knows how to give a movie the Music it needs for it to has it's effect

Offline Turtlejosh

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 11:11:22 pm »
I am deeply annoyed at myself for not seeing it yet...I may need to pick up a dvd.

jlaidler

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 11:15:57 pm »
It should be readily available there, it was only banned until Kubrick's death.  The film came out at a bad social and political time for England.  Lot of violence about, the economy was up the spout, Kubrick was getting threats made against his family etc.  Anyway, should be out there now.

Offline King Pizza

• I'm too blessed to be dressed ><N>
  • Shouting it out loud
  • unstressed = undressed; no curse means no clothes
  • Referrals: 7
    • My Linktree
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 10:39:21 pm »
Yes, it was a good movie; I ended up borrowing it from my college library.
John 8:32 Truth=freedom
><> (Christianity) + Naturism = ><N> Christian Naturist
"We must pray for the courage to endure the scorn of the sophisticated world"- Justice A. Scalia
Once we existed in colonies; now, we are free. ><N>
Proud to be an American Conservative Nudist

Stuart

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 10:42:19 pm »
They're annoying things. I almost broke a tooth on one.

Wolfboy

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 10:51:23 pm »

Stuart, you must stop taking things so literally

jlaidler

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 12:31:40 am »
Oh dear.

Offline Jann

• Free Range Naturist
  • Female Chat
  • Nude without Towel
  • I am nothing if not myself
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 11:36:46 am »
A Clockwork Orange was a fantastically done film.  However, some of the strong depictions were really hard to take (the various violent rape scenes, namely).  The film is so good at what it set out to do that I never want to see it again.  Now that's masterful filmmaking!

I agree.  The film is masterfully made and the score was, as Wolfie writes, brilliant.  But I always considered Clockwork Orange to be a deeply disturbing story about deeply disturbed people and made for other deeply disturbed people to watch.  Would I watch it again?  No more than I would sit down to watch Caligula all the way through. 
Millions of years of evolution have combined to produce me. 
I'm rather hoping that I don't bugger it up in one lifetime.