Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Topless sunbathing embarrasses foreigner & family (Thailand)  (Read 19174 times)

Offline Danee

• Read-Only
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 135
Topless sunbathing embarrasses foreigner & family (Thailand)
« on: April 29, 2011, 11:49:10 am »
From: http://www.pattayamail.com/mailbag/topless-sunbathing-embarrasses-foreigner-family-2815

Dear Editor,

I find farang women very distrustful when swimming and sunbathing. I was with my Thai spouse and her two young nieces from Korat at Jomtien Beach recently where many Thai families and very young children were enjoying a day out at the beach.

Two women in their 40’s were sunbathing topless for quite a long time near all the Thai people who dress very modestly while engaging in the sea side fun. My wife’s two nieces, aged 17 and 12, like many of the Thai people present, were very embarrassed by their disrespectful topless activities.

Would tourists and all sunbathers who visit this wonderful country of Thailand also respect their customs? I was also very embarrassed for the young ladies by those women flaunting their bare bodies like that.

Yours

P Browne

A retort letter from: http://www.pattayamail.com/mailbag/re-topless-sunbathing-embarrasses-foreigner-family-2958?ref=pmci

Editor;

Well P Browne, here is the reality. Thailand needs tourists, holidaymakers and indeed encourages them to come to Thailand. In fact it’s about 15% of the GDP of Thailand. Pattaya is advertised as the “Extreme City”. Obviously foreigners come to Pattaya, Jomtien for a good time and spend there hard earned money. Bathing topless on the beach is not illegal in Thailand and it’s extremely common in Europe. If you or your wife or children get embarrassed, it’s easy go somewhere else. Whilst I agree that foreigners should respect the laws and customs of Thailand, it’s a two way street. Thailand wants tourists, so they have to respect what tourist want, as long as they don’t break the law.

Mike E

The beach looks awesome. 

Top-free Equality. Its a right, not a privilege!
http://www.freethenipple.com/

neill

Re: Topless sunbathing embarrasses foreigner & family (Thailand)
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 11:45:47 am »
It is nice to see a government related organisation sticking up for the tourist.  Especially in a place like Thailand.

bharat

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 01:21:25 am »
 In general, Asia needs a cultural revolution related to viewing nude body as obscene, but good to see the response for the letter of concern.

Offline Brad

• N Forum Veteran
  • Topless with bottoms
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 02:48:17 pm »
There are so many things to worry about in life and to be "very embarrassed" about girls being topless...*sigh*. If it bothers you just move along.

ziggie1974

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 07:50:34 pm »
There are so many things to worry about in life and to be "very embarrassed" about girls being topless...*sigh*. If it bothers you just move along.

you so on the money, i agree 100%

Offline nudetrail

• Naturist Superhero
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 01:03:47 am »
its amazing how a man can be topless but if a women is topless its   :879 and offensive this serously needs to be changed .
nude is natural

Offline Pyre

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 03:38:16 am »
What is most surprising is what they allow to go on in places like Pattaya having been there myself and yet they have such an issue with topless sunbathing! Seems a bit hypocritical to me.
"Life's too short, play naked"

Offline spongeman

• Nude without Towel
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2023, 05:14:54 am »
I'm actually with P Browne on this one. I have a strong belief that if you're a tourist, you should respect the local culture and that local cultures should NOT have to adjust to tourists' habits. There was clearly lack of respect to local moral standards here, and that is unacceptable no matter how cringeworthy said standards may look to the tourists. I know Thailand has a few dedicated nidist resorts, and probably a bunch of private hotel beaches where locals don't go that would allow topless sunbathing. That's where they should have gone.