Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Sword fighting  (Read 31566 times)

Offline SecretlytruenudeM92

• N Forum Veteran
  • Nude with Towel
  • Referrals: 0
Sword fighting
« on: June 23, 2011, 08:04:46 am »
I want to learn how to fight with swords of all shapes and sizes. Any perfered styles? Swords? Holy Blade of Ragnell!!
The greatest danger for humanity lies not in aiming too high and falling short, but in aiming too low and achieving our mark.

Stuart

Re: Sword fighting
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 11:25:49 am »
Any perfered styles? Swords? Holy Blade of Ragnell!!

Lightsaber

• N Forum Veteran
  • Nude with Towel
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 02:00:52 pm »
Maybe large sword would be a better option for me, but it was made to fight versus spears and pikes. So I supose I would try to hold a not too much large one and handle it as if it was a bastard sword in it's style (in Spain we call it "one and a half hand sword").

And if I could, I would forge something like a katar, with a small shield. For both hands. And use the berserker style  :0988

In usa we call them long swords and hand and a half swords. Excelent choices. long swords tend to be two handed swords, slower but with long reach and greater power. Could anyone imagine a two handed Holy Blade of Ragnell as a lightsaber!? Pisishhhhhh wooobbbbb pepare yourself! Aether! Wooo wooo woo YYYAAAHHH! Ike could slice an AT-AT in half!
The greatest danger for humanity lies not in aiming too high and falling short, but in aiming too low and achieving our mark.

JayJay

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 02:32:06 pm »
sounds like a cool idea to me

Offline Historybuff83

• Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 04:09:52 pm »
Well you are in luck, there is a resurgent interest in Western sword fighting styles.  Fencing is a rather stylized form of sword fighting and not really representative of actual combat.  There was a documentary I watched on Netflix about the renewal in Western sword fighting.  I think it was called Reclaiming the Blade, or something like that.

Offline Padraig

• Topless with bottoms
  • I am what I am, someone has to be.
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 06:17:37 pm »
If you can find them, I'd recommend longsword. I never did manage to get the lessons, but my friend took them for a good while till he ran out of funds. It was indeed very impressive, built a lot of strength and agility up, was just as useful as any of the more popular Eastern martial arts.
"Breathe this dream, and let your soul inhale it!
Bare and naked, let us dance on the meadows..."
-Eluveitie, the Song of Life

• N Forum Veteran
  • Nude with Towel
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 07:36:50 pm »
If i got Holy Blade of Ragnell it would have some new features i would need to discuss with a master smith before its forged.

A lot of modern smilths use non combat ready teqniques to forge them like adding huge amounts of carbon to the steel. Wich would make them strong to a point but the more u put in the more the blade looses its ability to bend and flex then reaturn to shape like metal. Insted these new swords behave like ceramics, they dont bend. They snap.

In addition to quenching in liquid nitrogen. The nitrogen is inert so it cant directly weaken the metal. In stead the extreme difference in heat between hot metal and liquid-gas that the temper of the blade is made too hard to bend. Again the result is a broken blade, ouch. Dont want that to happen. Especially in battle. Talk about bloody murder.

Offline Delta

• Administrator
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • For SCIENCE!
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 09:47:37 am »
A friend of mine has practiced Kendo for a while. He had a pair of practice swords (shinai) before he started, and once we "dueled" a little in the woods. It was fun, though it is very stressful for the skin of your hands to hold the grip of a sword for an extended amount of time.

Also, I doubt you will be using swords in a fight for life and death a lot these days.
Please send me a message on the forum before contacting me over IM. For best results, also mention what you want to talk about, I am not much of a smalltalker.

• N Forum Veteran
  • Nude with Towel
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 07:44:10 pm »
No i guess not. Cant imagine why you would actually want to chop someone up. But sword duels with unsharpened swords would be cool. Victory would be awarded by marking or landing blows on opponents that are wearing pressure senstive armor. If you take a hit it realeases fake blood.

Could have different fight classes too. Like 2 handed class, single with sheild, multiple combat, dual wielding, japanese katana. In fact isnt fencing a sword duel with rapiers?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 07:52:32 pm by SecretlytruenudeM92 »

FantasyFan2011

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 06:12:38 pm »
No i guess not. Cant imagine why you would actually want to chop someone up.

It's clear: a zombie holocaust is approaching (or maybe a Mad Max style post-apocalyptic world) and the you will cry a river cause you don't have lots of sharp things and your fire arms have run out of ammo.  :323232

I really don't see the obsession with zombies...

Offline anakyn

• Nude with Towel
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 11:55:37 am »
In a nudist forum...sword fighting means just 1 thing  :happy
Or, at least, we call "sword fighting" that typical naked game between male kids, with their tools  :laughing

Offline Northman

• Naturist Superhero
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 05:46:45 pm »
Or, at least, we call "sword fighting" that typical naked game between male kids, with their tools  :laughing

Nope... metal hitting metal. That is sword fighting.

I would go with the viking sword and the round shield. I think it was a combo that was used in my parts. If someone knows better, please tell me.

But a pair of short swords would feel like a good way to go.

hilda

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2019, 05:55:31 pm »
my favorite sword is the claymore and I would love to learn to use and I also love the katana

5Chill10

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2019, 07:38:17 pm »

Not strictly swords but it seems there are people who try replicate medieval martial arts as much as they can without going lethal. Probably requires a lot of money and time invested though.

5Chill10

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2019, 07:39:03 pm »

Well, those people with longer "reach" would have an unfair disadvantage unless in close quarters.