Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Ever Wanted To Go Topless In Public? We Did.  (Read 8139 times)

Offline Fitz1980

• Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Ever Wanted To Go Topless In Public? We Did.
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 08:52:02 pm »
I actually found it kind of frustrating.  I mean, it's been legal to go topless in NY for years now.  Why should it still be so awkward and so rare?  And why is it still so strongly viewed as "inappropriate?"

The problem is that scoial norms only change when people are willing to put themselves out there as the first to do so.  Generally they open themselves up to harassment and name calling in the process.

I've known lots of (non-nudist) women who have told me that they went topless on vacation in Europe or the Caribbean because lots of other women were topless and it looked fun.  Many of those same women wouldn't try it at a place in the US where it's legal but not practiced because nobody else is and they don't want to be the "odd woman out."

Much like the woman in this story they would probably get hassled by a cop, who knows he can't do anything except give her a hard time.  There would probably also be a good chance of some irate mother coming over with some "I can't believe this, I am trying to enjoy this park with my kids and I don't want them seeing that."  Also in a place where you are by far the least dressed woman around be prepared for some unwanted attention from creepy guys.  It's not fair but most people would rather fit in with at least a few other people in the crowd.  That's why when a chance for skinny dipping or going topless comes up among non-nudist groups it's often "I'll do it if you do it too;" because they don't want to be the only one.

Riot.EXE

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2011, 09:34:17 pm »
The part with the cop was definitely an "OH YOU MAD, HUH!?!" moment.

I shared this article on my facebook like whoa.
His contempt for the law he's obligated to uphold is dismaying.
I don't care if he shows contempt for a law or not, that is not his job, his job is to uphold it.  So long as he upholds it, he can be all pissy pants about it as he wants.  Remember he's dealing with decades of social conditioning as well

I meant "SHE was the one goin' 'OH YOU MAD, HUH!?!' to HIM."  I wasn't sidin' with that lame ass cop!

Offline Historybuff83

• Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2011, 09:40:47 pm »
The problem is that scoial norms only change when people are willing to put themselves out there as the first to do so.  Generally they open themselves up to harassment and name calling in the process.

I've known lots of (non-nudist) women who have told me that they went topless on vacation in Europe or the Caribbean because lots of other women were topless and it looked fun.  Many of those same women wouldn't try it at a place in the US where it's legal but not practiced because nobody else is and they don't want to be the "odd woman out."

Could not agree more.  Socializing in a sociological sense is all about making sure people adhere to social norms and mores.  People who step out these mores are, well encouraged to adhere.  Law and regulations are one way to ensure compliance, another is the aforementioned harassment and name calling.  It's all about trying to ensure people adhere to social norms.

As for the being the odd person out, that is part of why people "tend" to be more crazy while on vacation.  Less family and close friends around to judge them.

MiloMinderbinder

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 04:58:22 am »
That's awesome. I have a lot of respect for her.

I think she was lucky with the cops. We've been having some really atrocious police behavior in the city lately. Yes, being topless is legal, but the cops are known for ticketing first and asking questions later. They all have quotas to fill. There are many documented cases of cops ticketing people for laws that don't exist and generally being unaware of the actual laws in general.

She was very brave. I'm impressed.

Offline Sporti

• Casually Dressed
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2011, 01:53:03 pm »
Who could take a policeman in such a car seriously?
It´s good to see that he only stated his opinion.

Offline chrisw91

• Mmmm lasagna
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Hey guys, Im Chris. Im 23 and from UK
  • Referrals: 2
    • My Coin of the Realm!
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2011, 02:00:17 pm »
This article is amazing! I loved her attitude and how she described her experiences in the text. The moment when she encounters the police office is hilarious!

Kudos to her! The article is a bit long, but is worth reading!

:3145    Good for her!!!
I became aware of my destiny: to belong to the critical minority as opposed to the unquestioning majority.

MiloMinderbinder

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2011, 05:12:37 am »
I was thinking about this more today. It's unfortunate that, even though it's legal, it's still newsworthy every time a woman goes topless in New York City.

Offline Sporti

• Casually Dressed
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2011, 04:05:58 pm »
Only that it is legal doesn´t make it appropiate for everybody. To change peoples minds takes years or even generations. In my opinion people should get used to it (e.g. topless women) slowly without being provocated to much. Just to have the right to do something doesn´t mean that others won´t feel attact. I can use my right to state my opinion LEGALLY and while doing this I know I can hurt a lot of people.