Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: LARP'ing  (Read 2198 times)

Offline mcibear

• Topless with bottoms
  • Referrals: 0
LARP'ing
« on: July 18, 2011, 10:43:17 pm »
So recently My wife has gotten into LARP'ing (Live Action Role Playing) and there ir is part of me that wants to join her, but part of me that is very reluctent to.  I'm afraid that my presonality will get in the way and I'll just ruin it for her.  For those of you who dont know me, most of you(I tend to read a lot more then I post),  I'm fairly interverted, and find it difficult to get into any sort of make belive sort of thing.  I was the kid who didn't get into singing songs with actions because I found it silly and pointless. 

I guess im looking to try and expand my horizens and would apprecate any advice form anyone who has LARP'ing XP.

Offline chrisw91

• Mmmm lasagna
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Hey guys, Im Chris. Im 23 and from UK
  • Referrals: 2
    • My Coin of the Realm!
Re: LARP'ing
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 11:12:20 pm »
A close friend of mine recently asked me to join her at a LARPing club but I am the opposite of you yet I also feel like I wouldn't fit in and I would probably embarass her. I am too over the top when it comes to make believe things and silly actions etc. I get very silly and I would do things that may be seen as a mockery to the people who take part in LARP'ing. I would make up the most random and senseless things that may be seen as me mocking the whole idea of LARP
I became aware of my destiny: to belong to the critical minority as opposed to the unquestioning majority.

FantasyFan2011

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 12:22:45 am »
I'm not big on the LARPing. I don't mind RPGs, but I think that. I can be shy when I want to, but I'm one of those people if you break me out of my shell you'll probably regret it. I have a good imagination, but it can good or sketchy. I'd say try it and if it makes you feel uncomfortable, let her know that you support, her, but you just can't get into it.

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 01:24:14 am »
I guess im looking to try and expand my horizens and would apprecate any advice form anyone who has LARP'ing XP.

You'll have a hard time separating yourself from your persona if you are next to your wife and you won't be able not to be yourself. I suggest that for your first one, you play in different areas and next time when you have the hang of it, you can be together. Beside, not knowing people around you will force you to interact with more people rather than just speak to your wife the whole time.

Look for a group. Your LARP most likely have a board or something similar. Look for a group needing a character with certain skills you'd like to have and join them. That way, you'll have more experienced people to help you out.

A good costume goes a long way towards making you feel like the character.

Also, you should know everything about your character, even info no one will ever ask you. What were his parents like? What's his favourite colour? What does he do for fun? Is there some expression he likes to say, etc. The more you know your character, the easier it is to play it.

On the top of my head, that's it. What kind of LARP is it anyway?
"Politics is an ocean of toes" - Jacques Parizeau (1930-2015, RIP)

Offline mcibear

• Topless with bottoms
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 10:49:45 pm »
Thanks for the advice Dan.  Specificly the LARP is a medival fantisy setting.  They seem to be very stringent on thier rules, witch to me can always be a bit of a turn off for me in any event.  I have been coming to the conclusion that joining a diffent camp then my wife might be for the best.

For anyone who cares Im going to post the link to the LARPs sight.
http://www.underworldlarp.ca/

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 01:25:04 am »
They seem to be very stringent on thier rules, witch to me can always be a bit of a turn off for me in any event.

They seem to have much of the stuff I don't like in a LARP... :-/

Don't base your opinion of the hobby on what you experience there.

Offline AElf

• Free range naked Færie Princess
  • Female Chat
  • Naturist Superhero
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 10:08:38 am »
Real life its own self is one big LARP game, you choose a character and develop it as best you can.  I have enough to do developing one genuine personality without confusing it with a fantasy persona. 
"Mankind is a frigid and ashamed creature. If we cannot deal with the basics of nudity then how on earth are we to make it in the world?" Naked Imp

"Don't make me release my flying monkeys" Elphaba Thropp, the Wicked Witch of the West

Offline AElf

• Free range naked Færie Princess
  • Female Chat
  • Naturist Superhero
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 10:27:09 am »
They seem to be very stringent on thier rules, witch to me can always be a bit of a turn off for me in any event.

They seem to have much of the stuff I don't like in a LARP... :-/

Don't base your opinion of the hobby on what you experience there.

I just spent a few minutes scrolling through some of their rules and it confirms my dislike of the concept.  Rules, rules, rules, rules -- it is enough to make me heave.  Gosh Dan,  how do you put up with all the rules of LARPing?  I thought that you were a big fan of anarchy.
"Mankind is a frigid and ashamed creature. If we cannot deal with the basics of nudity then how on earth are we to make it in the world?" Naked Imp

"Don't make me release my flying monkeys" Elphaba Thropp, the Wicked Witch of the West

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 12:10:36 pm »
I just spent a few minutes scrolling through some of their rules and it confirms my dislike of the concept.  Rules, rules, rules, rules -- it is enough to make me heave.  Gosh Dan,  how do you put up with all the rules of LARPing?  I thought that you were a big fan of anarchy.

That's the rules of *one* LARP.

You can tell a lot about a LARP by its rules. If they look like Dungeons and Dragons (look for key words like "level", "class" or "elf"), you probably want to avoid the LARP, it's mis-designed. If 95% of the rules seems to be about combat, you certainly want to avoid it (same if characters are by default very hard to kill, it means you'll all hit each other a lot). If you need to remember all the rules instead of what just pertains to you, it's probably pretty badly designed.