Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Photography  (Read 22373 times)

Offline ToneBender

• Read-Only
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Photography
« Reply #90 on: June 22, 2013, 07:09:06 am »
I'm trying to get a starter photography camera. Any suggestions? My budget is (100-450 USD).

Starter to learn photography or as in 1st camera ever?

More or less the whole world has gone digital so that leaves point-and-shoot (basic), EV-IL (cross-over) and DSLR (fully capable).

Point-and-shoots are compact easy to carry and easy to use but have limited functionality which limits the type of the pictures you can take. The cross-overs (Electronic View-finder/Interchangeable Lenses) are still quite portable, have better sensors and advanced functionality as well as interchangeable lenses that give you more creative freedom. Lastly DSLRs (Digital Single Lens Reflex) give you ultimate control but are complex (daunting even) to learn and are heavy and bulky and expensive.

Recommendations are a matter of opinion - I'm partial to Nikon and Canon myself. The big three are Nikon, Canon and Sony (which bought Minolta) but don't discount other brands such as Panasonic (Lumix).

Your decision will also be based on functionality/$ and I don't know what prices are like where you are but 450 USD probably won't get you a new DSLR - consider finding a used one if you would like to go that route.

Some models to check-out:

Point-and-Shoot:
Canon PowerShot (from A2500 up to S110)
Nikon Coolpix (don't know much about these)

EV-IL (Micro Four Thirds):
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1

When it comes to DSLRs I only know Nikon's line-up and since you're just starting out and don't really know what you want, look for a multi-purpose (zoom) lens like 18 to 55mm or possibly 18 to 200mm.

You may be able to find a used D90, D200 or D3100 with a lens in pretty good shape and camera stores often have used, floor models or refurbs for sale as well.

Check-out B and H's website for current models and pricing to get a rough idea then shop around.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Just this guy's opinion but if you want to dive in and learn photography I would try to find a D90 with an 18 to 55mm (wide) or 55 to 200mm (zoom) kit lens - you'll just have to take care of it and it will take a while to learn.

Cheers and Good Luck!

Offline Ethan

• Casually Dressed
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #91 on: June 22, 2013, 03:50:29 pm »
Thank you so much, ToneBender! I was just looking at reviews and speculations of the Canon EOS Rebel T3i SLR. I was just wondering what the difference between "DSLR" and "SLR" is.
The human body: LEGALIZE IT!

Offline ToneBender

• Read-Only
  • Naturist Superhero
« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2013, 01:08:56 pm »
Karla just sent me an excellent link regarding exposure and I thought I'd share it here.

http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm

The Ultimate Exposure Computer by Fred Parker

Offline michis

• Casually Dressed
  • Nude is normal!
« Reply #93 on: March 30, 2014, 06:26:11 pm »
My hobby is also photography. So when i have time i take my camera and keep an eye out for interesting motives: landscapes, flowers, animals and so on. I also like to try out people photography, but finding a model is not really easy...  So if somebody like to pose for me dont hesitate to contact me :cheesy:

To learn photography I searched some time on youtube or other video platforms. There i found interesting tutorial videos about different use cases, maybe this will help you also getting better and better.
 :wink:

Offline Paul

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • I go nude every day, cuz baby, I was born this way
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2014, 11:50:48 am »
I love photography and rarely go hiking or camping without my trusty Nikon.  Mostly I photograph nature, landscapes, and wildlife, but I do have a basic home studio and occasionally do portraits (something I'm trying to learn more about).
Slaínte,

Paul

Offline mars1692

• Guy Talk
  • Nude with Towel
« Reply #95 on: May 05, 2016, 01:25:30 am »
I'm going ahead and revive this post because I've done photography back in the past but I'm strongly getting back into it.
I've done basic photography and videography.  I'm currently upgrading my gear but I'm going to focus now on landscape, night time photography and time-lapse.

I've also done some underwater photography but I also hope to get back into that. 

If you guys are interested, I use a Panasonic LX7 with a Nauticam housing for underwater photography and videography and for land, I use a Panasonic FZ1000 (video, time-lapse, pictures) and Canon Rebel T1i (got it for stop motion animation, but also use it for land).

Offline King Pizza

• I'm too blessed to be dressed ><N>
  • Shouting it out loud
  • unstressed = undressed; no curse means no clothes
  • Referrals: 7
    • My Linktree
« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2016, 12:14:51 am »
I consider myself an amateur photographer and while I haven't taken any formal courses in the subject, I rarely go anywhere without my Olympus Camera. My favorite subject are nature scenes, like sunsets and sunrises, although I do like taking pictures of squirrels. I have posted a good number of them on my blog.
John 8:32 Truth=freedom
><> (Christianity) + Naturism = ><N> Christian Naturist
"We must pray for the courage to endure the scorn of the sophisticated world"- Justice A. Scalia
Once we existed in colonies; now, we are free. ><N>
Proud to be an American Conservative Nudist

Offline scotty13

• Casually Dressed
« Reply #97 on: August 18, 2016, 11:30:52 am »
I enjoy photography.
Started in year9 when our school had a dark lab and everything was film, and progressed since then.
I hate taking photo's of people (so being photographer at both my sisters weddings was painful) but enjoy nothing more than going for a hike, with camera in hand and taking nature inspired shots.

DCSquaredPhoto

« Reply #98 on: October 27, 2016, 02:57:02 pm »
Like many others, I love photography, and am always up for doing something related to it.  I use more film than digital (one of many trying to keep film alive lol).

My gear: Nikon D810, Canon AE-1 (35mm film) and a Ciro-flex TLR (Twin lens reflex). I'm considering adding a drone to my gear but it's still in the thought process.

Subjects: love shooting street and I've
started to shoot charity events, primarily 5k's

aussieollie

« Reply #99 on: November 16, 2016, 04:42:15 am »
I've been really keen on photography since I discovered the usual school holiday photography camp. I shoot on digital now (and don't mind playing with iPhone filters too) but there's still a bit of appeal with old film SLRs.

I'm trying to improve natural light photography at the moment, but finding it really hard to get the aperture settings right. It's probably just trial and error, but I'm finding it really tough.

Offline Kyle

• N Forum Veteran
  • Nude without Towel
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #100 on: November 16, 2016, 11:17:52 am »
Photography has always been a skill that's eluded me. I'm not very photogenic. Also my family is notoriously bad at taking pictures. Back in the days of disposable cameras there were always quite a few pictures with fingers in them  :tongue: