Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: who in your opinion is on your list of great guitar players?  (Read 11649 times)

Offline Dario Western

• Read-Only
  • Naturist Superhero
  • The one, The only (according to Google anyway!)
  • Referrals: 16
    • Dario Western's Page
Re: who in your opinion is on your list of great guitar players?
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 07:14:30 pm »
Adrian Fisher (RIP) - one of Britain's best rock guitarists ever, he was the cousin of Eric Clapton and actually taught him how to play some guitar licks.  The album "Reptile" was dedicated to him by Clapton.  Fisher had previously played in Brush Sheild's band which also had Gary Moore, and later played in Sparks and Boxer in the mid 70's before being put into rock'n'roll exile in Thailand where he died in 2000.

Alan Parker - a session guitarist who has played in the bands Blue Mink, Alan Parker Sound, and big band rock outfit CCS (Creative Consciousness Society) with Alexis Korner.  He wrote a couple of TV themes that I liked such as The Adventures of Sir Prancelot, Angels (a soapie about nursing students), as well as playing the legendary guitar riff for a cover of Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love" that was used on Top Of The Pops in the UK during the 70's.

Bill Oddie - the clip on YouTube where he's learning to play guitar riffs as coached by Mark Knopfler is hilarious!

Jeff Healy - great playing style, and a great rock voice.  How he does all those acrobatics with his guitar and yet he is blind is beyond me.
"How ridiculous society is! Why be given a body if you have to shut it away like a rare, rare fiddle?"

Offline megidoflame

• Casually Dressed
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 08:05:01 pm »
did someone mention tony iommi yet or am i going blind?

Offline bendy698

• Casually Dressed
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2009, 10:12:31 am »
did someone mention tony iommi yet or am i going blind?

No, not yet, but we totally should have. A legend on guitar for sure!
-Bendy

Offline joeyn

• Umm...
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Me
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2009, 01:05:21 pm »
One of the greats is missing...Carlos Santana!
You're right!
How could we? :879

Have to add:
Pat Metheney

:3145

Offline TheSeane

• Shouting it out loud
  • I'm not an ambi-turner.
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 06:17:31 pm »
Ok, of all time I probably respect Jason Becker the most.  The dude was SUCH a bad ass and he still keeps on living a great life even though he has amyotrophic lateral scherlosis

Jason Becker - Cacophony Solo

But yeah, I've tried my entire life to become as fast and as clean on guitar as him but have never come close... the guy is just a god!

Other guitarists I love and respect

Marty Friedman
Jeff Beck
Steve Vai
David Gilmour
and I have a list of guys from Japan who are wicked awesome but unheard of in the states :-)

Stuart

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2009, 07:23:17 pm »
Some frenzied masturbation from a pre-blues Gary Moore:

Gary Moore - End Of The World (Live)

GARY MOORE [ EMPTY ROOMS ] LIVE,1987

Offline joeyn

• Umm...
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Me
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2009, 02:23:58 pm »
Guitar Solo--Eddie Van Halen

Eruption Guitar Solo--Eddie Van Halen

Classic!!!

Does anyone really rock the shirtless guitar playing anymore?

Joey

Nude_not_rude

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2009, 12:04:37 pm »
I can't believe no-one has mentioned 'The Edge' from U2. Rolling Stone named him the best guitar player of all. He also came in at number 1 on a top 10 count down of guitar hero's on Triple M radio today.

Stuart

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2009, 05:34:17 pm »
I can't believe no-one has mentioned 'The Edge' from U2. Rolling Stone named him the best guitar player of all. He also came in at number 1 on a top 10 count down of guitar hero's on Triple M radio today.

I haven't been able to take him seriously since this:

bill bailey

:3456

Offline Alex

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 14
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2009, 07:24:45 pm »

Which list was that? As far as I know Rolling Stone have only done one list of greatest guitarists ever, and Hendrix came top followed by Duane Allman and then B.B King. I can link it if you like?
On an extended IYNO break... for now.

Offline TheSeane

• Shouting it out loud
  • I'm not an ambi-turner.
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2009, 08:24:51 pm »

I haven't been able to take him seriously since this:

bill bailey

:3456

LOLOLOL!!!  Bloody brilliant, he's right lol

Nude_not_rude

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2009, 08:42:06 am »

Which list was that? As far as I know Rolling Stone have only done one list of greatest guitarists ever, and Hendrix came top followed by Duane Allman and then B.B King. I can link it if you like?

Damn my radio Dj lied!!! lol o.k. you are correct, but he did come in at #24 so that's not too shabby.

Bill Bailey rocks!!!

Offline NudeNathan

• Bare Squad - Moderation Division
  • Shouting it out loud
  • I come with my own background music
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2009, 09:47:52 am »
Don't forget Angus Young!
one of the best technical(!!) players...
love AC/DC Angus Young is one of my favourite guitar players, and with his signature guitar the "Gibson SG", also one of my favourite guitars

Offline brandon

• N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Texas
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2009, 01:53:40 am »
les paul

Les Paul, a pioneer of both guitars and multi-track recording, as well as a great guitarist, died August 13, 2009.

In response to the death of 1988 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductee Les Paul, the Rock Hall has issued the following two statements:

“Without Les Paul, we would not have rock and roll as we know it,” said Terry Stewart, president and CEO of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum. “His inventions created the infrastructure for the music and his playing style will ripple through generations. He was truly an architect of rock and roll.”

“Les Paul was truly a unique human being,” said Jim Henke, vice president of exhibitions and curatorial affairs. “He was an artist who made his mark as a tremendously influential guitarist. He was also an inventor, the man responsible for the solid-body electric guitar and multi-track recording. Few people have accomplished as much as Les did in his legendary career. We will truly miss him.”
http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/news.php?id=40991
We have it in our power to begin the world over again.  -Thomas Paine

Nude_not_rude

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2009, 03:55:29 pm »
les paul

Les Paul, a pioneer of both guitars and multi-track recording, as well as a great guitarist, died August 13, 2009.

In response to the death of 1988 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductee Les Paul, the Rock Hall has issued the following two statements:

“Without Les Paul, we would not have rock and roll as we know it,” said Terry Stewart, president and CEO of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum. “His inventions created the infrastructure for the music and his playing style will ripple through generations. He was truly an architect of rock and roll.”

“Les Paul was truly a unique human being,” said Jim Henke, vice president of exhibitions and curatorial affairs. “He was an artist who made his mark as a tremendously influential guitarist. He was also an inventor, the man responsible for the solid-body electric guitar and multi-track recording. Few people have accomplished as much as Les did in his legendary career. We will truly miss him.”
http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/news.php?id=40991

OMG!!! I hadn't heard. Such a loss. He will always be remembered. :(