Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada: Crystal Crescent Beach  (Read 5652 times)

Offline brandon

• N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Texas
  • Referrals: 5
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada: Crystal Crescent Beach
« on: August 28, 2011, 12:03:34 pm »
There are three beaches at Crystal Crescent; two are textile while the third one is clothing optional by tradition. The two textile ones are close together, and near the parking areas. The clothing optional one is a 1km+ hike along a well-maintained trail. People seemed to keep their clothes on along the trail, so I would not advise stripping down until you reach the beach, even though it would be really nice to hike nude to the beach.

If you get to a sign that says "End of Trail Maintenance: Proceed at own risk", you've just gone past the clothing optional beach, although I highly recommend proceeding at your own risk because there are some nice rocks to see.

Back to the clothing optional beach... There is no signage indicating that it is clothing optional. I don't think it is a legally-sanctioned c/o beach, but it seems to be accepted as such. On a hot summer afternoon, there were perhaps a dozen people on the beach, all male, and most nude. I'd say the age range was 30-70, or maybe 40-70. Most were lying down. A few were standing up, which I find a bit weird, but I guess they're allowed to.

The beach is sand, with some annoying prickly vegetation embedded in it here and there. Once you get into the water, the surface is round rocks about 20cm in diameter. They are not much fun to walk on. I should have brought my water shoes.

The water was very cold, but not icy-cold as at the nearby textile beaches. This is the North Atlantic, but the water is shallow near the clothing optional beach, so it warms up slightly. I am told the Gulf Stream sometimes brings warm water to these beaches, but that was not the case on the day I was there!

The drive from downtown Halifax was about 40 minutes. The upper parking lot is slightly closer to the clothing optional beach, but it doesn't really matter. There is a Halifax Regional Municipality bus that might get you within a couple of km of the park. Crystal Crescent is a provincial park. Alcohol is not permitted, which I think is a good rule. Facilities consist of outhouses. There is no running water, so bring your own drinking water. Parking and admission are free, so I'm not complaining about the lack of showers or other luxuries.

The beach was free of litter. People seem to take very good care of it. There were no smelly barbecues. There was no loud music. There were no annoying motor boats, no helicopters, just waves. Except for the chilly water, it was just about perfect.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 12:06:25 pm by brandon »
We have it in our power to begin the world over again.  -Thomas Paine

Offline AElf

• Free range naked Færie Princess
  • Female Chat
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada: Crystal Crescent Beach
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 09:51:00 am »
Thanks for the very fair review Brandon, but what is this all about?

Most were lying down. A few were standing up, which I find a bit weird, but I guess they're allowed to.

What is weird about walking around?  When you go to the beach do you just lie there like a dead seal or what?  How do you get into the water, slither down the beach like a reptile?  Must be wicked abrasive on the parts!  Of course some people are standing up, walking around, talking to each other, etc.  That is the essence of naturism -- social nudism.

The thing I don't like about Crystal Crescent is that it is so small.  There are other beaches not so far away where you can walk naked for miles if you wish.  And Crystal Crescent is a little odd because fully clothed people -- singles, couples, family groups -- walk by all the time just to have a look at whoever is on the beach.  I'm always hopeful that they are just trying to get up the nerve to strip off and join us but that would be a rare case.

"Mankind is a frigid and ashamed creature. If we cannot deal with the basics of nudity then how on earth are we to make it in the world?" Naked Imp

"Don't make me release my flying monkeys" Elphaba Thropp, the Wicked Witch of the West

Offline Leah

• Female Chat
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Teach Tolerance
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 10:56:56 am »
Just showed this to my husband knowing that he had worked in Halifax and his response - "Went there years ago, but there was at least a metre of snow on the beach.  The water looked cold."
I may be nude but at least my mind is open

JayJay

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 04:52:33 pm »
sounds like a nice place and a good outing

Offline brandon

• N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Texas
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 07:12:59 pm »

Most were lying down. A few were standing up, which I find a bit weird, but I guess they're allowed to.

What is weird about walking around?  When you go to the beach do you just lie there like a dead seal or what?

I meant just standing. Not walking. Not talking to anyone. That strikes me as posing or something. I think it might make others feel uncomfortable, especially women who might feel they are being stared at. Not that there were any women.
We have it in our power to begin the world over again.  -Thomas Paine

Offline AElf

• Free range naked Færie Princess
  • Female Chat
  • Naturist Superhero
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 09:41:31 am »

What is weird about walking around?  When you go to the beach do you just lie there like a dead seal or what?

I meant just standing. Not walking. Not talking to anyone. That strikes me as posing or something. I think it might make others feel uncomfortable, especially women who might feel they are being stared at. Not that there were any women.

Oh that, yeah, gotcha now.  Crystal Crescent is often a hangout for some of the Halifax gay community and the guys just standing up are advertising their availability I guess.  There have been associated problems in the past.  It is another example of people confusing the simple fact of nudity with the promise of sexual activity.
"Mankind is a frigid and ashamed creature. If we cannot deal with the basics of nudity then how on earth are we to make it in the world?" Naked Imp

"Don't make me release my flying monkeys" Elphaba Thropp, the Wicked Witch of the West

Offline ToneBender

• Read-Only
  • Naturist Superhero
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 07:00:52 am »
If you keep going along the hiking trail you get to the best fishing in HRM.

You can drink there, especially in the campground - people turn a blind eye as long as you're not being obnoxious.

And yes the water is always cold - Gulf current or not.

Offline Hamish

• Read-Only
  • Nude with Towel
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 12:43:47 pm »

Oh that, yeah, gotcha now.  Crystal Crescent is often a hangout for some of the Halifax gay community and the guys just standing up are advertising their availability I guess.  There have been associated problems in the past.  It is another example of people confusing the simple fact of nudity with the promise of sexual activity.

This behaviour is common on nude beaches unfortunatly. I have heard people refer to those who do it as "Meerkats".

These beaches are not for sexual gratification or hooking up, but the meerkats take over pretty fast because they deter most naturists from enjoying the beach.  :324
"We are never alone when we are with Mother Nature" ~ Anthony Douglas Williams