Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Rugby World Cup 2011  (Read 4175 times)

relentlessrob

Rugby World Cup 2011
« on: August 29, 2011, 10:42:18 am »
So one of the worlds largest sporting tournament is about to start soon in New Zealand!
Who on the forum follows their Rugby team? USA and Canada have teams, so I hope it means a lot of the forum can get invoved.
For the rest of you support the All Blacks and be a winner!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 09:21:16 pm by relentlessrob »

Offline Elodie16

• Topless with bottoms
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Rugby World Cup 2011
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 08:18:20 pm »
I like the rugby I could bear logically France, I wish she wins the trophy, but it's unlikely to happen. When the United States or Canada that think they are even less likely. In my opinion the final victory will return to New Zealand or South Africa or Argentina can be
Mignonne, allons voir si la rose
Qui ce matin avait déclose
Puis qu'une telle fleur ne dure
Que du matin jusques au soir !
Cueillez, cueillez votre jeunesse
Comme à cette fleur, la vieillesse
Fera ternir votre beauté.

Offline Leah

• Female Chat
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Teach Tolerance
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 06:52:37 am »
As a female rugby lover - apparently that makes me a scrummie - looking forward to the next six weeks of the festival of the boot.  I would think NZ deserve to be favorites but they are under immense pressure playing at home.  Australia will have to win nine a row to win (the last two wins plus the next seven) and that doesn't seem possible.  South Africa have lost their depth and are playing a very experience core but a few injuries and they are in all sorts of trouble.  For France it will depend on which side of their personality turns up - they are two different teams in the same 15.

England - I couldn't bear if such a negative style wins again.  Wales don't appear to have the depth for the tournment.

Ireland could be the surprise as will be Samoa.  Highly trained international players coming together to ambush the top nations.

Samoa v South Africa will be a cracker.
I may be nude but at least my mind is open

cc71

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 09:30:04 pm »
Opening ceremony just last night.

Offline blu333y3s

• Nude with Towel
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 10:14:39 pm »
As a female rugby lover - apparently that makes me a scrummie - looking forward to the next six weeks of the festival of the boot.  I would think NZ deserve to be favorites but they are under immense pressure playing at home.  Australia will have to win nine a row to win (the last two wins plus the next seven) and that doesn't seem possible.  South Africa have lost their depth and are playing a very experience core but a few injuries and they are in all sorts of trouble.  For France it will depend on which side of their personality turns up - they are two different teams in the same 15.

England - I couldn't bear if such a negative style wins again.  Wales don't appear to have the depth for the tournment.

Ireland could be the surprise as will be Samoa.  Highly trained international players coming together to ambush the top nations.

Samoa v South Africa will be a cracker.

I've not heard the term scrummie before, but it is very appropriate. There is something very appealing about a last that is into her rugby... Judging by your comments ur knowledgeable too!

Ur fellaus very lucky....

Surely u think that there is some hope of the Aussies triumphantly walking away with # 3 ?

I think ur right about nz too, such a rugby strong nation there us a lot if pressure for them fo succeed. Watching them last night I was actually thinking to myself that it is a reflection of what a strong Nd proud rugby culture they have that I was surprised to see Sonny Bill playing, such a contrast to us with Matt Rogers, Wendell Sailor, Lotti etc...

In saying that I can't see the same kind of story for nz that south Africa had when hosting the world cup in the 90s. 

Offline Leah

• Female Chat
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Teach Tolerance
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 11:11:08 pm »
I get disappointed when people say Rogers, Sailor and Tiquiri didn't contribute to Rugby.  Rogers won several tests with his guile, step and goal kicking but had to play second fiddle (rightly so) to Larkham and then Giteau.  Wendall was a freak on the field and in full flight was an awesome sight.

Lote just happens to be Australia's leading try scorer - not a small contribution.  SBW is a different creature - against the second tier nations he will run havoc, but the top teams have figured out how to tackle him and to drive him up and sideways greatly reducing his options for the off load.

A so he may burn brightly for a short while.. or he may just become a capable journeyman centre.  Did enjoy it though when he had to replace his jersey last night - those abs are amazing!

Offline blu333y3s

• Nude with Towel
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 03:18:29 am »
I get disappointed when people say Rogers, Sailor and Tiquiri didn't contribute to Rugby.  Rogers won several tests with his guile, step and goal kicking but had to play second fiddle (rightly so) to Larkham and then Giteau.  Wendall was a freak on the field and in full flight was an awesome sight.

Lote just happens to be Australia's leading try scorer - not a small contribution.  SBW is a different creature - against the second tier nations he will run havoc, but the top teams have figured out how to tackle him and to drive him up and sideways greatly reducing his options for the off load.

A so he may burn brightly for a short while.. or he may just become a capable journeyman centre.  Did enjoy it though when he had to replace his jersey last night - those abs are amazing!

I am not suggesting that they did not contribute, though in comparison to SBW inclusion in the all blacks the Rogers, Sailor and Tiquiri seemingly walked into a Wallabies side before earning their stripes by virtue of their contribution to rugby league...

Once there I agree they pulled their weight, to be honest I think that rugby league players have taught the wallabies how to tackle, amongst other things.. I fear with your superior knowledge of the subject you are going to prove me wrong however.. :)

It is yet to be seen how SBW will contribute over time to Ra Ra, but similarly I don't think he will be to union what he was to league.. I missed the shirt change, but must admit I am very envious of his physique.

Offline Leah

• Female Chat
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Teach Tolerance
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 05:58:11 am »
Not an expert - just that I have a husband and three brothers who are absolute rugby nutters.  It has been a case of either learn or be an outsider in my own family.

Offline blu333y3s

• Nude with Towel
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 07:30:34 am »
Its not a bad situation to be in, Rugby is the game played in heaven as you know... I'm now living in Melbourne so having to learn AFL...

Offline kristin

• Euro Girl
  • Female Chat
  • Casually Dressed
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 08:13:44 pm »
I watched USA v Ireland and USA v Russia.  Against Ireland...they were just too big and strong but the US played well.  Against Russia...the USA were terrific and outclassed the Russians.  I'd like to see more but its all pay per view here and I can only watch the freebies.
If you can't say anything nice, Don't say anything at all. : )

Offline blu333y3s

• Nude with Towel
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 09:22:56 pm »
Kristin, I think you must be the first American I have ever met being interested in Rugby, good on you!

Offline bulletpr00f_m0nk

• Topless with bottoms
  • Just an average guy w/ not-so-average insights :)
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 05:08:04 pm »
I saw the NZ vs France match yesterday and liked it.  I don't understand why this sport isn't bigger in North America as it should be.  Tons of action and aggression.

It was too bad that the French committed too many mistakes...they really did press on in the latter part of the game.

By the way, is Romania that weak?  I mean, England totally destroyedddd them.  Ouch.

Offline Leah

• Female Chat
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Teach Tolerance
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 08:21:13 pm »
Rugby is a game of degrees - just being 5% off the ability of the opponent means you are going to be crushed.  It is also a game that rewards innovation and sides like Romania are fairly predictable in attack.

Offline Historybuff83

• Shouting it out loud
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 06:10:53 am »
Kristin, I think you must be the first American I have ever met being interested in Rugby, good on you!
American fans of rugby are out there. It is becoming more popular amongst university aged folk. It won't be replacing American football anytime, but fans are over in the States. Just hard to catch games in the states, in my opinion, unless you happen to have BBC and are able to catch the random game they show. Although one time I was able to catch the NCAA Rugby Tournament (American university) on ESPNU, so that was neat.

Offline blu333y3s

• Nude with Towel
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 11:26:42 am »
American fans of rugby are out there. It is becoming more popular amongst university aged folk. It won't be replacing American football anytime, but fans are over in the States. Just hard to catch games in the states, in my opinion, unless you happen to have BBC and are able to catch the random game they show. Although one time I was able to catch the NCAA Rugby Tournament (American university) on ESPNU, so that was neat.

I guess in some ways we are similar in that I don't understand the appeal of Grid Iron in the same ways Rugby is not popular in the states, I am pleased to hear that it is gaining popularity.

After all I saw a docco recently that was talking about brain injury, and they were showing the American football culture, some of those boys are massive, I can only imagine what would happen if rugby gained popularity amongst some of those guys.