Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: What it's like to be topless in Toronto, Canada  (Read 2113 times)

Offline Danee

• Read-Only
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 135
What it's like to be topless in Toronto, Canada
« on: October 11, 2011, 01:23:53 am »
From: http://www.sineadodonnell.com/blog/caution/what-its-be-topless-toronto

By Sinéad O'Donnell

During my time in Toronto with performance artist Paul Couillard we discussed the representation of the body in performance art and how the meaning of the body, if nude, was percieved by the general public in public space as opposed to  it’s perception in gallery-led live art practices. Paul and his partner Ed related the story of Gwen Jacob, a student who was arrested for removing her top in public on a hot summer’s day in Ontario, Canada,1991. A judge decided that both men and women equally had the right to walk the streets topless.
 Paul and I had been trying to decide on what days and times we could work in the supporting space of the ‘Toronto Free Gallery’. I suggested that a way of working would be to walk to the gallery bare-chested. We began at 5pm and arrived at 7pm. I would have never taken this walk alone; I felt empowered by Paul’s presence as we continuously talked about many subjects along the way. My heart was in my mouth.
 I remembered when I was around 7 or 8 years old. My mother suddenly insisited that I wore a t-shirt whenever I was playing outside on a hot summers day. I remember feeling irritated by her new mindset and at that age didn’t know why she was restricting me - I just didn’t like it.

Title -Sinéad O’Donnell in conversation with Paul Couillard in conversation with Sinéad O’Donnell
 Date –09/08/2011
 Location –Toronto, Canada.
 Duration –2hours (5pm-7pm)

Top-free Equality. Its a right, not a privilege!
http://www.freethenipple.com/

Offline bulletpr00f_m0nk

• Topless with bottoms
  • Just an average guy w/ not-so-average insights :)
  • Referrals: 0
Re: What it's like to be topless in Toronto, Canada
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 02:29:29 am »
lol, I recall the hysterics of some people in the Toronto news when they heard of this landmark ruling spurred by Gwen Jacobs' defiant act.

It's always interesting listening to insights from various women about their right to go top-free.  It is still a challenge for some, but in no way does it detract from the general struggle....no one said it was going to be easy- or that change would happen overnight.

Much respect to her and her contribution in the advancement of change in this public perception. :)

Offline bdot86

• Casually Dressed
  • Referrals: 0
Re: What it's like to be topless in Toronto, Canada
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 12:02:27 am »
 Similarly, I remember when women were legally able to go topless. There was a lot of lead up, and then as soon as the law changed... Not much changed.

I've seen one topless woman at a non nude beach on Toronto island (back when I lived in Ontario).

It will be interesting to see if acts like this ever become the norm.