Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Watchmen  (Read 1858 times)

Offline gamez

• Nude with Towel
  • Referrals: 0
Watchmen
« on: July 24, 2009, 07:35:00 pm »
Just watched it again last night and it's still just as awesome as when I saw it back in March. Easily the best movie I've seen this year (Sorry TF2). I never read the Graphic Novel so I had nothing to go by when I first watched it and needless to say I was pleasantly surprised.

I'll be glad to make this movie my first Blu-Ray purchase as soon as I can afford one lol.

Eric

Re: Watchmen
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 11:34:59 pm »
I saw it in theaters and twice now on DVD and I still can't distill my feelings. I did read the graphic novel first, so I have a tough time judging it as a movie independent of the source material, but her it goes:

I actually liked the movie's changed ending - I think it was an appropriate change and worked better than the original. In the interests of not spoiling it for anyone, I won't discuss that further.

I found the soundtrack annoying. Using such iconic songs just didn't fit and was often tacky - playing "hallelujah" for the sex scene? Give me a break. An orchestral score would have been much more appropriate.

On the one hand, I appreciate the respect that was paid to the source material. Much of the movie was a frame for frame depiction of the graphic novel, and much of the dialogue was lifted right from the pages of that novel. But that was also the biggest problem - pacing that works for a comic book, doesn't in a movie. Dialogue that looks good in a speech bubble sounds wooden and awkard when spoken by an actor.  It was also a 12 part comic book series. Movies are typically done in 3 acts (sometimes 5). The break points were obvious and awkward and just didn't fit in the flow of a movie.

So I guess if anything, I wish that they had taken more liberties with the script to properly adapt it to a different medium.

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 11:46:38 pm »
So I guess if anything, I wish that they had taken more liberties with the script to properly adapt it to a different medium.

Given how much Alan Moore hates movies, he could not possibly be more displeased with a less faithful adaptation anyway so it might have been wise indeed.
"Politics is an ocean of toes" - Jacques Parizeau (1930-2015, RIP)

simonalexander2005

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 06:31:17 pm »
I found the soundtrack annoying. Using such iconic songs just didn't fit and was often tacky - playing "hallelujah" for the sex scene? Give me a break. An orchestral score would have been much more appropriate.

I don't know about that - I really liked the soundtrack to watchmen - I thought the songs worked well. Certainly much better than the soundtrack to inglourious basterds (sp) which was out last month...

randomer909

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 11:00:55 pm »

I don't know about that - I really liked the soundtrack to watchmen - I thought the songs worked well. Certainly much better than the soundtrack to inglourious basterds (sp) which was out last month...
I took it as more of a comedic instance rather than stupidity :4345

Stuart

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 10:30:58 pm »
I just watched this.

I almost choked on my drink when Neil Armstrong said "Good luck Mr Gorsky".  :909
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 11:27:40 pm by Stuart »

Karla

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 11:21:11 pm »
I found it rather unusually slow to begin with but eventually the pace worked for me as I became more interested in the character development and the pieces started to fit together.

Offline Alex

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 14
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 09:24:26 am »
I thought Watchmen was amazing, and easily one of the best films of the last few years. Stylistically, I could have sat and watched it 6 times over. Literally it is one of the most beautifully shot movies I have ever seen, Zak Snyder is incredible. In my opinion, he's one of the best young directors kicking about at the moment (refer to the remake of Dawn of the Dead and 300 for more information). The characters were all intriguing in their own way - something about screwed-up superheroes reallly makes you think instead of just sitting and absorbing the plot. Plus, Rorschach is one of the coolest characters ever.

I love Watchmen :D
On an extended IYNO break... for now.

Offline Cabding

• Lord-Master of Vita Nuda Southeast
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Livin' la Vita Nuda!
  • Referrals: 9
    • Vita Nuda Southeast
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 08:25:47 pm »
I don't think any of us would mind being nude in an alien world if we got incredibly ripped in the process, even those poor misguided textiles.
Trying to unite the lost naked souls of the Southeast US. Message our Facebook page or PM me to get involved!

Offline Turtlejosh

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 01:07:43 pm »
This was one I had to miss in the Cinema, but I have to agree with Alex. It is visually brilliant; gritty and so alive. I may not have read the comics (Another to the list!) but I did enjoy the story. At a time when superhero movies were and still are abundant, it was really good to see the flip side. What if these heroes weren't as good as people thought? Brilliant execution, and a brilliant ending I thought.

Offline RD

• N Forum Veteran
  • Nude without Towel
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 07:37:06 pm »
This was one I had to miss in the Cinema, but I have to agree with Alex. It is visually brilliant; gritty and so alive. I may not have read the comics (Another to the list!) but I did enjoy the story. At a time when superhero movies were and still are abundant, it was really good to see the flip side. What if these heroes weren't as good as people thought? Brilliant execution, and a brilliant ending I thought.

Zack Snyder always produces masterpieces! :63424