Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: True Blood  (Read 1565 times)

Offline Luke M

• Nude with Towel
  • Referrals: 0
True Blood
« on: July 19, 2009, 10:22:22 pm »
Anyone watching this second season?

I absolutely love the show. I'm not even a fan of vampire movies but I really like what they've done with the settings and characters.

Offline Luke M

• Nude with Towel
Re: True Blood
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 05:53:11 am »
I saw this on an advert and forgot about it and missed it I think its only series 1 here in uk

is it anything like buffy or angel or moonlight or supernatural or is it something quite new and different

J

It's very different. It's based in a universe where society accepts vampires. For example, there was a bit about some state passing vampire/human marriage. Vampires are out in the open but still everyone is uneasy about the whole thing. There are a few core characters that have different storylines that intertwine with the different characters. The basic premise is girl falls in love with vampire man. Oh, and there's more than just vampires. There are plenty other strange characters going on.

Offline mandywong

• Casually Dressed
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 03:26:30 am »
This is the best series I have seen in a while! Almost every episode has a cliffhanger at the end, which makes me want to watch the next episode so bad! Too bad we have to wait a whole week before the next one! Hopefully, at the end of this season, there won't be one... or else, I'll have to wait until next summer to see the 3rd season.

Vampires have been there forever, but now, the Japanese have invented a synthetic blood called Tru Blood, which allows the vampires to get their blood fix without resorting to killing humans... so they should be able to live along the other humans.

For the girls out there, there's a romantic story between Sookie and Bill the Vampire.

For the guys, well, don't worry, this is nothing like Twilight, which I didn't like that much... and my BF neither... There's a love story, but almost all characters are interesting. Big plus: the amount of sex in this HBO series is pretty phenomenal.

For all: it's very well written and quite seriously, it's a very good serie with good acting (Anna Paquin won an Emmy for her role).

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!
I do have a hard time understanding their thick Southern US (the story takes place in a fictional village called Bon Temps in Louisiana) accent though... so subtitles may be useful if English is not your first language, like myself. But it's fun to see French last names like Bellefleur, Rene (actually, first name of a guy), Lafayette...

Eric

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 01:04:24 am »
I'll be the dissenting voice; I liked the first season much better.

The first season was a straight up murder mystery, and despite the premise, stayed very grounded in reality. It was a show about racism; the vampires were almost entirely a stand in metaphor for just about any minority group you might care to name, with a clear analogy being drawn to gay rights. It even had a nice thematic twist, showing that the majority humans could be every bit the monster as the minority vampires, who were actually monsters.

This second season though just took that realism and threw it out the window. (SPOILERS AHOY!). This season we got a paramilitary church, suicide bombers, more and more paranormal creatures, satan herself (or whatever she's supposed to be) conducting animal sacrifice and cannibalism, and an entire town that's gone insane with mass hypnosis (in the real world, that's not the sort of thing that would go unnoticed by the rest of the world...)

It's entertaining enough, it was just disappointing to see everything I liked about the first season go out the window for the second.

Offline Luke M

• Nude with Towel
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 02:12:58 am »
I agree with your points. I did like the first season better. However, I still love it!

P.S. You should be happy that they're showing you more, Eric. You're in nearly every episode. :)

Offline mandywong

• Casually Dressed
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 12:54:59 am »
Season 2 was pretty disappointing compared to the first one. Maybe it's because I saw all the episodes of Season 1 back-to-back and the pace is better that way, but anyway, it has become so supernatural and "unrealistic" (hihi, yeah, vampires are real of course). What should I expect next season? SPOILER ALERT: are we going to learn more about Sookie's power? When are we going to see the werewolves?